225055 Bullies, 3942 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Arm punching is primarily using only the triceps to produce power. Power can be increased by rotating the shoulder into the punch, rotating the hip and shoulder into the punch and stepping forward while rotating the hip and shoulder into the punch.

If you need to leave the arm extended to pick up the momentum from the lunge/forward step then your timing is off. The punch should make contact just a moment before the foot hits the floor.

Thanks. To elaborate, the thrust punch uses the tricep, lat, and some of the pec and delt, it is not just the tricep. WT does not exegerate the torque effect of the torso because it helps the enemy pass you to get behind. We also pull with the front leg after it touches down to continue to add force. I do this when I stop hit his chin at the end. In this example my stiff arm helped to prevent him from getting any closer and the hit disrupts his kinetic chain robbing him of his own power. In effect it makes his body power go into my punch leaving him with only "arm" punch power. In theory.

I agree about the cross coming over the top. It can happen. it hurts. A stiff arm step hit to the chin or throat is a great trade off though.

As the punch should make contact as the foot touches down it may not be a perfect world. Snapping back tends to rob you over your own power. Leaving the Arm out to long is also bad. The goal is to leave the arm extending into the target as the step transfer body mass into the hit.

and I will look for video of wrestlers "snapping" back their grapples into covered up guard like boxers do.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 5:10pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    I will look for video of wrestlers "snapping" back their grapples into covered up guard like boxers do.
    Wrestlers don't snap back, but you can't leave it hanging out there. Its kinda of a tap his arm, tap the top of his head, try to get a grab but if you don't get good control ease back to your guard. The idea is to set up a clinch or a shoot or your terms. Another reason not to let the arm hang out there is it sets you up an arm drag, not good.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 2:12am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Dr._Tzun_Tzu]Snapping back tends to rob you over your own power. Leaving the Arm out to long is also bad. The goal is to leave the arm extending into the target as the step transfer body mass into the hit. /QUOTE]

Can you explain how snapping back robs you of power?

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 5:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    Can you explain how snapping back robs you of power?
    Snapping back to defend your face is a defense move. It is not part of the "punch". Watch knock out videos of punches, they are not snapping back they are solid on impact and briefly after. Then you cover.

So the "term Snapping back your punches" tends to create a punch that pulls itself back off the target on impact. You must send the nerve impulse to do it with the ht itself, you are stuck with the snap if you have developed it. If you develop a punch that works with in a few inches(6 or 7), you can leave your hand closer and hit again. You can block with extended arms to cut off angles.

but I am all for snapping your arms back to cover your head. We try to learn to come back but not so far, like a thumbs length from the chin maybe.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 5:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O, to elaborate the step hit and the stick hitt vs the snap back, as Demsey discribes it I believe also had a slight lag on impact to carry the full momentuen into it. The step is at a slower speed then the rapid arm, so the power needs time to transfer. Your trunck, hips and legs also need to adjust. At contact the impact creates the balance point for the stance, so a lag is also needed to adjust slightly and whip the full power in. So once you learn to punch, then you must learn to make the impact to trigger more from you stance and footwork.

If any Chunner wants to see why Dempsey, watch the cowboy wilard film, he just keeps stepping in and nocking this Cowboy down, over and over. and Dempsey was 1/2 his size, literally. (i wish I could find a copy, I saw it only years ao on history channel)

Consider this on reflection of my above point. If your step hit dempsey style your fist lands before the front foot, so in effect you are hitting from the back leg. If the step becomes shorter, due to a closer opponent, you could do it from a parralel stance, or you could learn to do the drop aspect in a shorter distance. When you get this, and have learned to fight from a back stance, even a _un turn becomes a drop step.

DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 7:27am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Snapping a punch make the punch explosive, other wise it turns into a push. One does NOT snap back on impact, but rather at the completion of the punch. With the exception of a mosquito jab, all boxing punches are intended to penitrate through the target. A misquito jab is a flickering jab used to annoy your opponent, distrupt his punches and be a range finder. It really is an active defense.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345