Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please don't pick on poor Rosie O'Donnel. Two minutes into listening to her makes people want to shoot themselves. Her public minded generosity compels her to protect us by having us all disarm. I prefer to just change the channel but that only selfishly protects myself. For all Rosie O'donnel fans, PUT YOUR GUNS DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THEM!!!

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:53pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poet
    The article got me thinking about holster types and I came across these:

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/31...ts/?return=%3f

Would any of you use these?

Not what I think of for compression shorts.
    Can you put a cup in them?

Not that I'd want to roll with my Kel-Tec in there, but it'd be nice to have tactical underpants that can double as fight gear.

I can't believe I just fucking typed that. Shoot me please.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 3:20pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry Mexican most of the time with my Polymers.

My .45's all have IWB holsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 6:17am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as we're raggin on anti-gun celebs, don't forget when Rosie had Natalie Portman on around the time of the prequel's releases and they were playing with Star Wars action figures. The figures had their blasters. Then later Rosie starts talking to Nat about school shootings and gun control. Nat agreed with Rosie. There was a great pro-gun article floating around I can't find now about how Star War's Rebels wouldn't have been able to overthrow the empire without private gun ownership.

I'm getting my CC license, and I plan on buying a little .22 auto. One, because it's cheap and I'm broke, two because it'll fit in my front pocket, three the ammo's cheap for practice, and four the ammo's common. I thought about .32, but the gun is more expensive, and the ammo's not as common.

I'd prefer a .45, but it's more of a hassle. Hell, I'd like one of those snub nose .500 revolvers, but I'd like to carry my sword everyday too, but I settle for my folding knife.

I also just bought new pepperspray with pepper and two different types of tear gas. I don't know that mixing them makes it worse, but it can't make it any better to get sprayed. Gawdamn neighbors and their gotdamn unleashed dogs.

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 7:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    North American Firearms makes a little .22 revolver that folds into it's grip like a folding knife. It has a five shot cylinder and is relatively inexpensive. Fits nicely into a front pocket and the imprint would not indicate a firearm. A real nice little carry piece that wont hurt the wallet. It is an up close type of shooter that shoots shorts, longs and long rifles.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 2:30pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer my pistol down the front of my pantaloons. I have been caught like a moron with it too many times to put it anywhere else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 4:24pm

Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had good luck with a BlackHawk shoulder rig. Once I can afford it, I'm going to shell out the cash for a top-quality leather rig (either Aker or Galco, depending on finding one for a G21). If for nothing else, because they're really stylish. I usually carry a full mag in the gun plus two spare mags. Just in case. Never been detected carrying. (Yes, for the record, I do have a legal CCW.)

That's like all of the celebs and politicians who say, "well the police are there to protect you." They all need to get on google (or preferrably look in a University Library) regarding a little-talked-about case: Warren v. District of Columbia. No, the police are not there to protect you. If you're ever in a self-defense situation, you are legally alone. The very system you're supposed to rely on to protect you promptly abandons you.

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonillo
    I carry Mexican most of the time...
    Is that like ridin dirty or something? :new_2guns

I have an unhealthy fascination with the cross-body draw, and would probably carry at about 10oclock. :help:
    Last edited by Neildo; 8/09/2007 10:10am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 6:18am

Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you like cross-body draw and are large-chested enough, get a shoulder rig. They're comfortable (resting the miniscule firearm weight on your shoulders), you aren't required to buy a new belt to wear it, they can be worn under a blazer or under a button up shirt (untucked and worn open), and best of all they're really stylish. Otherwise, cross-body drawing holsters are tough to find. (At least I can't seem to find them.) They're really not very popular, since most holster-makers are driven primarily by police business and most departments are too worried about gun-grabs to be comfortable with cross draw. I lost the web-page, but there are also adjustable holsters you can buy which can supposedly accomodate a cross draw...I've yet to find one, though.

Good sites for Holsters:
    Galls (Requires a little digging. Retailer.)
    Cop Quest (Not as much digging, but less selection. Retailer.)
    Quartermaster by LawPro (Not as much digging, but they don't have concealed carry holsters for service automatics, unfortunately. If you check that one, also be sure to check out their boots. They have some really nice boots for low prices. Retailer.)
    Blackhawk (Home of the Serpa and CQC holsters. Tough to navigate because of all the military and "tactical" - overused buzzwords make me want to puke - crap they have. Wholesaler.)
    Galco Holsters (Very straight-forward site includes search by firearm model. Some of the best shoudler-rigs I've ever worn, their IWB and Small-of-Back (SoB) holsters are also VERY comfortable. Wholesaler.)
    Aker Leather Co. (Most comfortable shoulder-rig I've ever worn. Most stylish holsters I've ever seen. Very comfortable. Sorted by duty, concealment, et cetera. They also sell nice belts. Wholesaler, catalog by request only.)

Those are the ones I can think of for now that I really like.

Alternately, you can buy a Fast-Action-Gun(FAG)/5*5*10 Bag, if you're not too uncomfortable with running around with a "fanny pack". Personally, I can't stand the fanny pack. I think the glasses, calculus textbook, jeans, and button-up shirt have already marred me as "white and nerdy" to the public as is. No need for a fanny pack to worsen the image. :p

Ankle-holsters I strongly recommend against for a primary weapon. One, you look funny when you walk, and two it takes a lot of extra time to get a gun out of one. If you're crazy like me, though, it's a great place to store a compact (or snub-nosed revolver) as a backup. (Not that I do this, yet, or anything, but I would if I could afford it.) I certainly do not recommend using "pancake", paddle, or 3-slot holsters. Since the entire frame is resting on the waist, outside the pants, and in the 2-3 o'clock range, it is VERY easy for even a light wind to blow a shirt or jacket up or open just enough so everybody sees the gun sticking up...even with a compact model this can still happen. I'd recommend IWB, SoB, or Shoulder Rig, because those ones take the most to get revealed. Someone practically has to strip your jacket or shirt off for those ones to get revealed at all.

Edit:

For concealed carry IWB, SoB, or otherwise butt of firearm pointing upwards, I personally recommend something open top. In my experience, you get easier access that way. If you're doing a shoulder rig (or otherwise butt of firearm pointed downwards), you definitely want a thumbreak.

Quick note on holster "levels" (you don't always see these, but do keep them in mind when you do):
    No level assigned = no thumbstrap, only a good fit keeps firearm in the holster.

Level 1 = a) Thumbstrap and break + good fit (most common), or b) Push-button releasing lock (such as the Blackhawk CQC holsters). Good for certain kinds of concealed carry (i.e. shoulder rigs), but largely recommended only for law enforcement.

Level 2 = Level 1 + internal tension-locking mechanism. Requires twist or rock-back to draw. Recommended only for jacket-slot (on duty uniformed police) carry. Do not use to carry concealed. If you do decide to buy a level 2 holster, I recommend ONLY the Safariland Raptor II holster. It features a rotating SLS hood which is very easy to open, and a rock-back draw which places you in immediate firing position. No other level 2 holster will be worth the money you'll pay for it and could just as easily cost you your life as save it.

Level 3 = Level 2 + additional push-button, or strap release lock. Recommended for nobody at all. This is very contraversial because of officers who have been unable to get their firearms out in time. For concealed carry, this will only land you pushing up daisies...even with a Safariland Raptor III.
    Last edited by cshirk; 8/08/2007 6:28am at .

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructor at my CCW course carried/carries a tiny .22 magnum revolver in his pants pocket.
    I also had a fireamrs instructor who was also a full time sheriff's deputy who carried a Tomcat as his back-up weapon. That was all I needed to feel comfortable in my choice of carry weapon.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast