Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 10:37am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair GJ he did it to try and offset lacy's numbers. This person didn't follow the rules either.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 10:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIF - Hmmm, you know, your right. I didn't look at the overall score I just was looking at his.

nocoolname,

If you feel the current "Overall Ratings" are accurate than you can disregard my previous post. I would still appreciate a more cohesive review if you have the time.

Thanks
    GJ

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 10:50am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ Understandable considering the crap run we have had, this month, with BS ratings.

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 12:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will put a comprehensive review together. Please give me 3-4 days. Between work, my consulting business and training for brown sash, I'm crushed. Thanks for the opportunity.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 12:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take your time, go to class, and review with our rating system in mind.

Remember, this isn't about the crappyness of a school.

It is supposed to be an honest review for fighting down to forms.

A one isn't a negative unless, you want a fight school. This is a competition based website. Accordingly, the rating system should reflect that slant.

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 3:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Review of Ho-I

Ho-I operated by Master Mollica (8th degree black sash from Shaolin Tiger Kung Fu Federation and 6th degree black belt from United States Shuai Chiao Association).

Master Mollica teaches Shaolin kung fu, shuai chiao, and Ch'ang style tai-chi.

The adult kung fu classes include Shaolin Tiger kung fu, Hung Ch'uan, Hung Gar Arrow Hand, Shaolin Temple, Preying Mantis, Pa-Chi Chuan Six Combination Continuous Fist, Hsing Jing Chuan, and Lien Bo Chuan, Eagle Claw Fist. They also include self defense, grappling, and traditional weapons.

As of 5/2008, Classes cost around $95 per month and include 2 classes per week. There are NO contracts, no minimum length for signing up (however, autobill service takes 30 days to cancel -- no problem if you are a cash paying customer). Rank tests are extra ($25-$50 for pre-black sash). Uniforms are extra (around $20?) but uniform wear is not enforced. Private lessons are available (cost ranges from instructor to instructor but I am paying $25/hour)

Aliveness = 5
    Classes range from "compliant partner drills" (for new techniques) to "light contact continuous sparring", with occasional "medium contact". The school deserves a 5.

Equipment = 7
    The school has 8 hanging bags (most with hydrocore), a weight bench, dozens of weapons (about half padded, the rest are marked with skull/bones to indicate lethality), dozens of target pads (of assorted types), mats of varying thickness and assorted traditional conditioning gear (bamboo bundles, sandbags, etc...). The weapons and pads show a little wear and tear (very little). A solid 7.

Gym Size = 8
    2,500 square feet. Air conditioned, hardwood floors. 5 sky lights. An easy 8.

Instructor/Student Ratio = 8-10?
    Kids class is the highest ratio. 20-25 kids. 3-4 instructors. At worst 1:8, usually closer to 1:6. The adult classes are 1:6. Master Mollica teaches at 95% of the classes and offers direct personal instruction. The assistant instructors range from 5th degree black sash to 1st degree black sash. The two ever-present assistants (who also teach at the youth classes) are 3rd and 4th degree black sashes. Open gyms (2 available per week, free with tuition), the black sashes (include Master Mollica) provide one on one instruction on whatever you are working on. Tough call because the range of instruction but the one on one time with the Master should make this damn close to a 10.

Atmosphere/Attitude = 10
    I hang out with these guys outside class. They email me. We talk about work and family. Sounds like a 10 to me. Several instructors (including Master Mollica) regularly email me.

Striking Instruction = 7
    Comprehensive striking. Several regional (Great Lakes region) trophies. I know that we hold some international titles (3rd place at some recent competition in China) as well but not sure on specifics so let's call it a 7.

Grappling Instruction = 9
    Our school just took 9 trophies (2 first place) in a National Shuai Chiao competition. I'd call that a nine.

Weapons = 6
    We go hard enough to feel it but I've never spilt blood. 6

I think this is a fair review from someone who has been at the school for a while (not quite a year) and who has been a student at 5 other schools (and visited too many to recall).

My posted numbers (not the number in the text of the review) were to "adjust" the unfair review by lacy378. The numbers above are what I would actually give the school if I wasn't trying to undo the misinformation on an earlier review.

Thanks to 'GoldenJonas' and 'It Is Fake' for encouraging a complete and accurate review.
    Last edited by nocoolname; 5/19/2008 6:27pm at . Reason: changed split to spilt

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 3:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Am I accurate to say that the "grappling" has much more emphasis on throws than on actual ground work and submissions?

I have never heard of Shuai Chiao and came across the competition rules located here

http://www.mg-3d.com/rules02.html

Are these rules fairly standard for the Shuai Chiao part of the comp.?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 5:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^Yes, it looks like this:
    YouTube - Shuai Jiao - Demo

^^This a demo not a comp.

This is what I could find on quick notice.
    YouTube - Henan Shuai jiao competition

Hopefully he isn't mixing it with Sanda or San Shou.

Posted On:
    5/19/2008 6:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For submissions, we teach red mountain chin na (Qin na).

The above videos are shuai chiao. It is sometimes spelled Shuai Jiao.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12