Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 1:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice on breathing problems.

Looks like my body is acting up again... I've been sick with a sinus infection or something like it for the past couple of months. They already gave me two seperate doses of antibiotics. Wich seemed to work at first. I took them entirely, never skipped a dose. Technically, had my doctor done his job properly. The problem would have been fixed around 2-3 months ago.

Now in the last two days I wake up with increased difficulty breathing. In fact this very morning I woke up and I had practically stopped breathing entirely. I had to hit my chest and use my inhaler to fix the problem. After wich I started having a weird cough that came from the lungs and brought forth mucus. FUN!

The inhaler is actually just for those kinds of problems. It's ventolin, I haven't had to use it for a long time... I still get the prescription renewed every year just in case. I used to have asthma when I was a child and now it's pretty much controlled except for complications when lung infections or the such present themselves.

Anyways I rushed myself to the emergency room after recovering my breath. My girlfriend was freaking out... when we get there... I speak with the triage nurse and she looks at me...

She can't give me a diagnosis but she tells me there's alot of wheezing in my right lung and a bit less in the left one, to come and see her if it complicates while I wait. I speak to people around the room most of them have been waiting an eternity (9 hours and the such) but most of them have stupid fucking problems.

One dumb bitch was there for a twisted ankle, another one was there for a cat bite to her arm and a couple other people looked fine and in perfect health while I was struggling to get air into me. Don't get me wrong they can get treated like anyone else but it turns out that most of the people in there were just there for stupid reasons.

So I wait around three hours and the damn cat lady wich arrived around an hour after me goes throught... keep in mind I'm in Canada and the ER is by priority and not who has the best insurance plan. So I go ask the nurse where I'm standing in line.... turns out I'm behind 10 other people.... and the lady next to me asks the same questions she's next after 14 hours wait for severe pain in her legs and spine caused by a fall.... so the cat lady went before spine injury girl.... great.... good triage bitch.

I told her to get bent and took my health card back...

So now here's my issue... I can get treatment easier in the week... the real question is...

What the hell could it be? Should I stop training until I feel better? Right now I'm getting around 10 training sessions per week... BJJ twice a week, Kickboxing six times a week and sprinting and weights when I can manage to find the time for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 3:08pm

Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go see a doctor. Now. It sounds to me like your asthma is returning to haunt you with a vengeance. (I developed asthma when I was about 19 or 20, so I know it's possible.)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 7:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe the bacteria in your lungs became immune to the antibiotics that you were prescribed. Could possibly be pneumonia.

Either way, you really should wait around next time to be seen. As frustrating as it may be to be at the hands of a retarded triage nurse, your health is too important to let things like that go unchecked.

Try not to work out until you get the ok from your doc.

Just my two-cents worth as an army medic.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 8:23am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate inhalers with a passion. I haven't had an ashtma attack in 22 years (last time I had one, I was 16.) Knock on wood. But I do suffer from the occasional sinus/allergy and mysterious wizzing and dry cough that comes out of nowhere.

To clear my lungs, nose and sinus of all that brown mucus, I use the V150SG Vicks® Steam Guard Vaporizer:

http://www.vicks.com/7.5_More_Products.php

Make sure you don't get a humidifier or a waterless vaporizer. It has to be a steam vaporizer. I don't put any medicine on it, just clean water and salt. When it begins to produce steam, I breath it through my mouth and nose, filling my lungs as much as possible.

Then I hold it for a few seconds (you'll have the urge to cough your guts out.) Then exhale as deeply as possible. Do it forcefully but without overdoing it. After a couple of repetetitions, you will be forced to cough and/or blow your nose, and a lot of **** is going to come up, brown mucus, water, coagulated blood that's been there for ages (coughing breaks smalls blood capilaries, which causes small amounts of coagulated blood to stay there forever.

Do that in the mornings and at night. Make sure you always use a clean batch of water and salt. Do not put any vicks medicine in it. This is exactly how I've been keeping that at bay for ages.

Another thing you may want to try is Hot Yoga (assuming you don't have a heart condition.) Doing yoga and deep breathing for 90 minutes in a room filled with 90F+ hot, clean air will make you sneeze and cough a lot of crap.

You should see a doc as soon as possible, but in the meantime, you should get a vaporizer and use it. It will make things more manageable.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 8:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 things (I am Canadian)

What bizarre Quebec hospital did you go to?

My son has asthma and whenever we have had a problem I say kid, asthma, can't breathe and we get put through ASAP.

2- Have you seen an allergist?

3- Try brandy for chest colds and infections. Seriously it isn't just an old wives tale that it medicinal. Brandy - NOT whisky. BRANDY!!!

It brings up Mucus, fells like it's burning your chest and makes you feel good all at the same time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 4:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tips. I went to the Gatineau emergency room near ottawa (if you don't know where Gatineau is).

I got a scheduled appointment with the quack on Monday... till then I'll follow your tips Macho and get myself a vaporizer.

Hopefully I won't die till then haha!