Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/06/2007 5:19pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi all,

I am very glad to announce that UFC Champion Oleg Taktarov will be attending/coaching the sambo summit camp on Friday the 14th. He will teach the 4-6pm session and will train with us the rest of the day. This comes at NO EXTRA CHARGE for camp attendees.

Spots for this camp are filling fast! The camp is from September 14-16. Camp schedule and registration information is attached.

It is a great 3 day event, live in training camp, on the beach in Staten Island, NY. Myself, Aaron Fields, Dayn DeRose, Oleg Taktarov, and David Machin are the resident coaches. It will be a solid 3 days of training.

Sambo and non-sambo athletes of all experience levels are welcome. I highly recommend this for all interested grapplers!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

To register by phone, please call the american sambo association at 718-728-8054. THIS IS A PRE-REGISTERED CAMP ONLY.

Steve
    Last edited by sambosteve; 9/10/2007 1:06am at .

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/10/2007 1:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ttt last week to register

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 11:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Camp is done and we had an awsome time!

It was great to see BS Moderator Tom Kagan rolling out there with us. That man buisted his ass all weekend!

The fact that we had Aaron Fields, Oleg Taktarov, Dayn Derose, Victor Tatarkin, myself, David Machin really gave a great dicersity to the sambo coaching there. It was also a veritable who's who in the sport. For a first time ASA camp, I feel we set the bar REALLY high!

To see the different coaches approach their own variations was fantastic. I learned a great deal myself! What I also appreciated was the open exchange between coaches and willingness to share and cooperate. There was not a single ego in the place.

Everyone worked extremely hard at the camp and it was no easy three days. I am exhausted...LOL. The beach training was intense!

I also love the fact that there were six ASA member clubs represented at the camp. It was a great gathering of folks from Los Angeles, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, and Washington. A real "Summit" as the title expressed.

Cant wait until the next one! I will post vids soon.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 4:29pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next year will be hosted at my club in Seattle. Yes, plans are already in the works.

Despite variations that all the coaches had for a technique, the body mechanics were all the same. Again, pointing out that the body is finite and only gains mechanical advantage in so many ways. As Steve said there was no ego and all the coaches brought a very high skill level to the floor. Also the whole seminar was very “authentic Sombo,” both technically and in regards to skill acquisition methodology employed. It felt like I was training in the Eastern Block again, minus the accents… well except for Oleg’s accent of course.

What I am most happy to about is that I finally got time to spend in person with Steve and Dayn. We all have been waiting years to meet in person. They both are fantastic guys. I look forward to a long friendships and continued involvement in this great sport of ours. The three days went fast.

Best regards,

Aaron Fields
    Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
    Sea-Town Sombo
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    9/17/2007 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Fields
    What I am most happy to about is that I finally got time to spend in person with Steve and Dayn. We all have been waiting years to meet in person. They both are fantastic guys. I look forward to a long friendships and continued involvement in this great sport of ours. The three days went fast.

Watching you guys together was the sweetest part for me. To observe how the instructors interacted and keyed off each other without any ego issues or getting in each other's way during each of your respective segments of the seminar was pure poetry in motion. All of you were great. As Dayn said, you never really know how it's going to turn out until it happens. The mixture of professionalism combined with passion, playfulness, knowledge, and the comfort all of you had with each other was truly a sight.

Yes, three days went fast. But, I'll tell you: after two full solid days of training, then watching the fights Saturday night and getting to bed at 1:30 am ... me staring at the alarm clock at 5:30 on a Sunday morning? Pfft! I'm not entirely unhappy I decided to skip the 6:00 am game of "Kill The Guy With The Ball" on a chilly beach. :smile:

Of all the t-shirts I could have picked to wear during Machin's knife portion of the seminar, I swear: wearing one of my "Blood Donor" shirts was entirely unintentional. But, now ... heck, I have to stock up some more so I never wear another type during any weapons training again. :smile:

From my point of view, it doesn't seem like enough to say, but thank you. I had a great time.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/18/2007 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am glad you really came a way with so much Tom! The 6am "kill the guy with the ball" was brutal...LOL.

AND, I am very happy to finally have been able to train with Aaron who I have known for years but, never met in pewrson. I have known Dayn for a while and I have also known Oleg for a while too. But, as you guys pointed out, the sweetest part was watching everyone flow in their material and presenatations. You really don't know what will happen when such a large group of instructors get together. In this case it was magic (not to sound cheesy).

I can't wait for seattle next year!

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Random observations on the seminar:

- Victor getting upset at Sambosteve's reason for betting on Lawler: "I just can't take a fighter named 'Ninja' seriously."

- One of Aaron's students apologizing after each time he managed to tag me.

- Dayn DeRose demonstrating footwork drills - he must have been a tap dancer in a previous life.

- Sambosteve and Aaron Fields at one point discovering their various aches and pains were incompatible for Sambosteve to demonstrate something specific with Aaron acting as Uke.

- Broken toe palooza! What was up with that?

- Oleg Taktarov has a big head - literally. Trust me, I come from a family of people with big heads. I know big heads.

- Signing waivers after two full days of training.

- The brief look of panic on an attendee's face when Sambosteve pulled out a live blade to do the same drill they just did with a practice blade.

- Reilly Bodycomb is an animal.

- Victor Tatarkin laughing at Oleg Taktarov, then explaining in Russian that Oleg essentially just said gibberish in English, then Oleg laughing at himself.

- Dayn DeRose doing 'Curly' impressions every time he specifically wanted to demonstrate something done incorrectly.

- David Machin and one of my old classmates would, upon 10 seconds after meeting each other, either become mortal enemies or friends for life. I haven't decided which yet.

- Sambosteve, did you have to lend me one of the best kurtka ever made which you also can't find anywhere? You spoiled me, ya' bastard.

- Oleg Taktarov still coming to the seminar even he just threw his back out the day before. Now, that's a man with a lot of heart!

- Aaron Fields discussing the historical context of the guard flop. Let's just say I am even more firmly convinced the 'glass and lava pulling guard is stupid' streetfighting crowd really, really, really, doesn't have a clue - more so than I ever was before.

- Sambosteve discussing an opportunistic 'leap frog leg lock' from Kami Shiho Gatame and not missing a beat when he passed gas at the point where he sat down on his Uke. He just talked it right into the description as if this was the proper way to perform the technique.

- David Machin describing the beginning of learning knife fighting as 'stupid drills'. The man has 't3h c0rrect' in a lot more ways than just this one.

- Best 'Your Martial Art Sucks' comment on Aikido: "If I wanted to dance with men I'd go to a gay bar."

- Best 'we have t3h re@l' comment on Judo: "Sambo is what Judo should have been."

- Best analogy of the weekend: A "tractor pull" versus an "Elevator".

- The sound of Aaron Fields' frequent laughter.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    9/20/2007 1:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Sambosteve, If a DVD becomes available, please let us know.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/21/2007 7:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom, that is simply priceless!! Those random thoughts will go on my office wall! It really had me cracking up in my chair here...

Tom F, we did film it and may make a DVD. Not sure yet...gotta watch the videos.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12