Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 12:33pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Human Weapon - Karate / Kyokushin Episode

I'm hoping I can catch the episode on Friday - looks like they're doing kyokushin... :D should be interesting since I know some of the guys they showed in the teaser for the episode...

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 3:57pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Wood
    I'm hoping I can catch the episode on Friday - looks like they're doing kyokushin... :D should be interesting since I know some of the guys they showed in the teaser for the episode...
    Yeah, I want to see how the big bald dufus handles it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 9:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welp. Looks like it was an episode of ****. 'ANCIENT ART OF VITAL POINT STRIKES' that can stop a heart with a single blow indeed.
    Last edited by nameless44; 8/03/2007 9:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 10:09pm

Style: CLF, Capoeira, etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought that it was a good episode overall. The techniques probably make a whole lot more sense within the tradition of Karate and probably work against people using very similar styles of fighting.

Clearly Duff wasn't the best person for the kumite.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 10:19pm

Style: MM to tha A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do the hosts really fight the dudes in the end of the episode, or is that just something they say at the start to make it sound cool?

I mean in the MT episode, Jason did fight the MT guy under MT rules. Are they gonna do the same with all the other arts they feature?

I'd definitly like to see a pressure point fight...it'd look kinda like full contact rock, paper, scissors...
    Last edited by Aikicat; 8/03/2007 10:22pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 10:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorin Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the episode was fairly good. I liked the bit of history on Okinawa, and I thought the part where they tried to break the board was kind of funny.

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 12:18am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy who was raving about "vital points" was also showing legit kick counters, and a very intelligently thought out strength development program

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 12:49am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While there is plenty of silliness, this show has delivered. Ya you get your "death strikes" but at the end of every episode they fight.

One thing about this episode that bugged me. You should not call something "full contact" if you do not allow strikes to the face.

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 1:04am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They allow kicks to the face, which is a little weird. But the body blows and leg kicks are definately full intensity, I would in fact say the contact level was a little higher than the MT episode(definately greater than the escrima episode)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 1:32am

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I thought it was great

I suppose I have a bias, but I thought this was the best episode yet of a pretty good series. The framing device of the two wide-eyed American dudes, especially Jason Chambers and his irritating "I trained MMA. So I automatically know how to do all martial arts..." attitude is a little cheeseball, but the dedication and skill demonstrated by the people they talk to is inspiring.

Regarding the one master's pressure point strikes, I may be a n00b to these forums, but one thing I never understand is why certain people always seem to be in a rush to call a technique that is described as deadly "Bullshido." Are you saying that in a real fight where there are no rules there is no chance of someone being killed? Wasn't that basically the entire point of martial arts before they all morphed into sports and day-care center options for your children? Wouldn't someone in the grip of a BJJ chokehold eventually die if you didn't release him? Does that make the technique bullshido? Maybe it isn't certain that you could kill someone with one blow. But I can imagine someone like the man in the ep who can chop a baseball bat in half with his wrist could make a decent go of it.

All told I'd say very little bullshido was on display in this episode. The masters they spoke with were modest, good natured people and the dojos they run are very humble "no-frills" establishments. If I could find a school that trained like that in the US I would consider it a bargain at any price.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast