Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 7:33pm

Style: TKD, Boxing & SW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by the yellow dart
    Oooooh for what exactly? People want to know!
    for calling gonzaga an idiot whom didn't train the clinch. he did, coutures just better. and probably for saying couture was going to lose and didn't have a chance of winning.

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 7:52pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    So earlier you were criticizing Sobral for the failings of the ref?
    The ref didn't stop him, Sobral's job is to finish the fight.
    well, sobral coulda ended the guys misery a lot earlier
    he just chose to stay in heaths weak half guard and pound away tryin to re-arrange the guys face

but, he wanted to 'teach the guy a lesson' so now his image and marketability will suffer for it.....nobody wins in the long run

Last edited by HANKtheTANK; 8/27/2007 7:55pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 7:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by couch13
    for calling gonzaga an idiot whom didn't train the clinch. he did, coutures just better. and probably for saying couture was going to lose and didn't have a chance of winning.
    On the first one, fair enough. It didn't appear to me that he had trained at all from the horrendous work we saw him do in the fight, and I hadn't seen anything that indicated as such. While I shouldn't have made the assertion, I don't think it was based poorly.

On the second one, I would say that most of the world agreed with me that outside of the clinch Randy didn't have a whole lot of a chance. Unfortunately, Gonzaga didn't train well enough and Randy won. I'm not going to backtrack on what I said since I still believe it's true.

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 8:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    before the fights, i gave a bit of reasoning on mmaplayground as to why i was going to choose randy. And i must say, my decision was made easier when yellow dart and fathedog were in their heated discussion.

here's what i said
    "ultimately, all the factors that make me believe Gonzaga 'should' pull it off are negated when i think of the differences in experience, and the fact that this is a championship fight. The pressure is quite different to perform. And its a 5 rounder. No matter how much ppl say they train for the 5 rounder, if they have never been in it? Well, its no fun after going 2-3 rounds with high intensity (which i know Couture will bring), and at the end of the 3rd, ur beneath a wrestler and realize there's 10 more minutes to go.

for the longest time, i pegged Couture to lose this one, but Couture's not gonna win based on superior physical abilities. It'll be his superior strategy and experience IMO"

and, after watching the pre-shows (countdown and all access) its clear that Couture has the benefit of training with a lot of A-level fighters to help him prepare. Whereas Gonzaga pretty much stayed in his hometown and trained within his own camp.

As most champs nowadays do, they call in the big guns to help them train to the best of their capabilities. I hope Gonzaga learns from this and considers getting outside help for sparring and whatever else

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 8:31pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gonzaga vs. Mirko 2.

anyone? anyone?

hah

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 8:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Cro-Cop should have to win at least one more fight after his next one to earn a title shot. He was KTFO'd by a guy the current champion whipped like a prodigal son, after all. (Yes, I am well aware that all the people who care what I think are over THERE). If anybody is in line for an ass beating from Randy, it should be either Big Nog or Andre Arlovski.

That said, those people that booed Babalu? That's what their breath smells like, BOO BOO BOO! It's a combat sport, after all. I think Babalu is completely justified in what he did, and maybe that will teach Heath not to smack talk a Brazilian. Hurts his marketability? For beating up his opponet in a mixed martial arts match? I guess Randy's marketability will go straight down the tubes too.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 8:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli

That said, those people that booed Babalu? That's what their breath smells like, BOO BOO BOO! It's a combat sport, after all. I think Babalu is completely justified in what he did, and maybe that will teach Heath not to smack talk a Brazilian. Hurts his marketability? For beating up his opponet in a mixed martial arts match? I guess Randy's marketability will go straight down the tubes too.
    There is no reason to hold a choke past when the ref is telling you to let it go. While I think Mazzagatti is a pretty bad referee, especially when he should have been tackling Babalu to get him off of Heath, Babalu shouldn't have been doing that in the first place. Revenge of that sort has no place in the ring. Did you think Mark Coleman was justified in punching Shogun on the ground after Shogun quite visibly tapped and had a dislocated shoulder? No matter what happens outside the ring, when you're inside the cage you have to respect your opponent and maintain control of yourself at all times, 2 things Babalu obviously did not do. He had already humilitated Heath, holding the choke that long just made Babalu look like a dick.

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 9:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't forget to throw Brandon Vera into the mix now. Vera vs Cro cop would be a good match up

with sobral/couture, the difference is couture had respect for his opponent, and did what he had to do and inflicted the damage necessary to win a fight.
    The fight was personal for Sobral, and albeit Heath had a hand in making it this way, Sobral was vindictive in handing out the punishment all the way from the start to after the fight had ended

point is, sure this stuff happens on occassion where fights get personal. But its rare that the resentment carries on after the fight is over. Even the worst of enemies, BJ/Jens, Tito/Ken, etc, have the decency to squash **** when its over. Sobral obviously didn't care to have any part of respecting his opponent or showing any signs of mercy well after it was clear that heath was ready to give up

As it has been reported, other fighters in the stands were boo'ing Sobral too. That says a lot IMO

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 9:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    update i just read from mmaweekly

The original publication of this article included an inaccurate statement that David Heath wore a T-shirt with Sobralís mug shot on it in an effort to get under Sobralís skin. Heath DID NOT wear such a T-shirt. In fact, he was wearing a shirt representing his sponsor Warrior Wear and it had no reference whatsoever to Sobral. MMAWeekly would like to apologize to David Heath and his camp for the error and any unwarranted attention that it reflected upon David Heath.
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...4588&zoneid=13

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    8/27/2007 10:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by the yellow dart
    There is no reason to hold a choke past when the ref is telling you to let it go. While I think Mazzagatti is a pretty bad referee, especially when he should have been tackling Babalu to get him off of Heath, Babalu shouldn't have been doing that in the first place. Revenge of that sort has no place in the ring. Did you think Mark Coleman was justified in punching Shogun on the ground after Shogun quite visibly tapped and had a dislocated shoulder? No matter what happens outside the ring, when you're inside the cage you have to respect your opponent and maintain control of yourself at all times, 2 things Babalu obviously did not do. He had already humilitated Heath, holding the choke that long just made Babalu look like a dick.
    Dislocated elbow...
    More human than human is our motto.