Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 8:37am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now due to the wonder of the internets, the preliminary fights that they "didn't have time to show" can be watched after paying $2 on www.ufc.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 9:03am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    The fight wouldn't have been much different. Even before the slam into headbutt Couture was dominating the fight. He rocked Gozanga TWICE in the opening exchanges and imposed his will. That was what happened the rest of the fight except that Gozanga had a busted nose.
    while your grappling experience is superior to mine in a way i cannot even fathom, i must ask, doesn't Couture's clinch game and constant imposition strategy exhaust a fighter after a few rounds of going with a bigger, stronger opponent? i mean, Randy looks like he is actually OVERPOWERING Gonzaga with this modus operandi.

nevertheless, the second Gonzaga had a bunch of blood trickling down the insides of his nose, his breathing got difficult, and we all know not breathing well in combat sports is a big bitch.

it's my uneducated opinion that Napao's condition after the first round seriously impaired how he performed further on. i think he was gassed from not being able to breathe well, he then had to pace himself, while keeping things in a striking range and swinging hard, or trying to power into a takedown.

while Couture demonstrated why he is the champ (yeah... take notes Chuck) i still thik we shouldn't be so hasty to rule out Gonzaga having a chance to beat him. let's not forget what he did to Mirko. had he been able to go for more than the 1st round in full effect, i think with one little opening on Randy's side, Gonzaga could have rocked him intenseley, allowing for a change in events.

on that note, i have yet to see Gabriel's grappling skills at work. i saw him knock Mirko's head off, and then lose to Randy. he is a blackbelt in BJJ no?
    Last edited by ronaldk; 8/26/2007 9:19am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 9:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsampras3
    Btw, i read reports that Sobral had a RNC and wouldn't let go after Heath tapped. I didn't see that fight though. Did anyone someone see it or hear what happened? Did he not realize the tap, or did he just lose it or something?

When i saw Napao bleeding all over the place I figured, great, I'm probably gonna see 10 stories about how MMA is bloodsport/human cockfighting/etc tomorrow. All we need is a guy snapping and not releasing the choke.
    didn't see the fight either, but the holy book of wiki says Sobral was retained 25k from his purse for not releasing the choke on signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_74#....__David_Heath

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 9:28am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read somewhere that Sobral said the guy he fought yelled obscenities at him at the weigh ins, the UFC after report says he believes you can be a great fighter and still be a good sportsman, and that this man needed to be taught a lesson. I don't care, I think sobral's badass. Just no more karate front kicks and more ground.

And yeah, Randy freakin broke gonzaga's nose and kept punching at it. Everytime I'd see him punch from the clinch (And HARD.) I'd kinda feel the tendency to wince. It looked like some kind of rich franklin **** going on.

and I don't care what all you boxing K1 folks say, I do like how Randy at least tries to zone and move around a little bit. Alot of people in the UFC, even people we watched last night, really like to sit in range and throw punches, while taking them. Randy had a few moments of being caught with one pretty good one, he'd immedietly then try and swing around, zone, back up, really try to work not just having a "Who can take more punches from each other" contest. His entries are also shining in my book, though they may not be your token genius K-1 Boxing stuff, it's still really enjoyable to see. One of my favorite fighters, if not my favorite fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 9:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garuda1
    His entries are also shining in my book, though they may not be your token genius K-1 Boxing stuff, it's still really enjoyable to see. One of my favorite fighters, if not my favorite fighter.
    which is why i stll think Gonzaga can beat him. outstriking Mirko is no small feat, and to tell the truth, and i may be dead wrong, i still pick Mirko over Randy in the case of such an event.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 9:56am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Wrasslin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i just watched the fight. I have to say i was impressed with Randy's performance. I was rooting for Gonzaga and i was upset when his nose got broken. IMO i think he could have done alot better if that hadn't happened. None the less i think it was a good fight and i would love to see a rematch even if its not a title match.

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 10:35am

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    almost forgot, i'm sure iwasn't the only one that skipped a heart beat when gonzaga landed his LHK in the 3rd?
    fuckin eh, that kick travelled a lot faster that i thought it could

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 10:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gonzaga has the tools but needs to pick it up.

He weighed 258

If you're going to fight Randy in a 5 round championship fight, drop some weight and pick up more cardio (not saying he doesn't have cardio but you need marathon cardio)

Gonzaga would do well to come in 240 range a la Arlovski (Gonzaga is only 6 2 like Randy)

Also Gonzaga has speed and power in his striking but doesn't throw combo's or follow up well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 10:50am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not terribly impressed with Gonzaga's head kick. I did think " Oh god" for a second when Gonzaga landed it on randy, but he looked a little gassed, uncomfortable when he threw it. The speed wasn't as much as the one that took mirko out, obviously, and randy was able to eat it, then perform with flying colors. But Gonzaga's kick ends up totally throwing him off balance, I'd have to watch the tape again, even after he lands it his footing is pretty awkward. I'm pretty sure randy blocked at least one of those kicks and had an advantage on him ...

Also, about Mirko, randy.. It's no question in my mind that Cro Cop's got better striking, if you want to call it better, or leagues better than randy's striking. But, as randy said, he'd of preferred cro cop because of the ground situation. I want the fight to happen.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    8/26/2007 10:50am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    on that note, i have yet to see Gabriel's grappling skills at work. i saw him knock Mirko's head off, and then lose to Randy. he is a blackbelt in BJJ no?
    See Gonzaga vs. NCAA All-American Wrestler Carmelo Marrero.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    which is why i stll think Gonzaga can beat him. outstriking Mirko is no small feat, and to tell the truth, and i may be dead wrong, i still pick Mirko over Randy in the case of such an event.
    Gonzaga is a fantastic and SMART fighter. He actually would most likely have a lot of trouble standing with Cro Cop. He used his intelligence in that fight, and didn't even try to stand with cro-cop until AFTER he'd taken him down and beaten the **** out of him on the ground. Then, when cro-cop was tired/bloody/dazed he capitalized with his standup. I'm not saying gonzaga has bad standup. It's actually quite good, I just don't think he could outstrike cro-cop straight up.
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast