Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:15pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread has been very interesting. Although my style says wrestling I have done the chun and still practice a subset of it because I enjoy it. There I said it. Now, I have been reading a lot about WC not working on its own in MMA. True, but neither does pure boxing or wrestling. Even pure MT and BJJ do not fare as well as they used to in MMA events.

I think the majority of people who take WC do so to be able to use it against other more or less untrained people if the need should arise, they see the chun as giving them an advantage, not making them the deadly. And since the majority of people never have to deal with a situation much more threatening than harsh language they are right. They have no intention of being athletes or competing and are looking for something simple that works. Most gyms that teach either MMA or its core skills (MT, BJJ, Boxing, etc) do so at an intensity that is way beyond what Joe Average is looking for.

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Actually, no. This thread is starting to turn into a trollfest. I don't want the old tired debates of well if you learn it right, from this teacher, I have the real, it is the teacher not the art.

Your type of comment is better used in a YMAS chun thread. We have thousands of those.
    Bro I wasn't trying to turn this into a trollfest. I was just speaking my opinion and I was not trying to start any kind of confusion. Anyways its cool though bro, nice to meet you.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:29pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    This thread has been very interesting. Although my style says wrestling I have done the chun and still practice a subset of it because I enjoy it. There I said it. Now, I have been reading a lot about WC not working on its own in MMA. True, but neither does pure boxing or wrestling. Even pure MT and BJJ do not fare as well as they used to in MMA events.

I think the majority of people who take WC do so to be able to use it against other more or less untrained people if the need should arise, they see the chun as giving them an advantage, not making them the deadly. And since the majority of people never have to deal with a situation much more threatening than harsh language they are right. They have no intention of being athletes or competing and are looking for something simple that works. Most gyms that teach either MMA or its core skills (MT, BJJ, Boxing, etc) do so at an intensity that is way beyond what Joe Average is looking for.
    Nice post, M1K3. Thanx for turning the light of reason on at the end of the chun-hate tunnel.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Nice post, M1K3. Thanx for turning the light of reason on at the end of the chun-hate tunnel.
    Do I really need to go quote hunting? Really Really?

The chun hate tunnel was built by chunners so hate yourselves. Deadliest art was said by many chunners. Just like boxing but better was said by many chunners. We don't need to train alive was said by many chunners. They do believe the deadly.

That is where this whole debate started. Chunners saying Chi Sau is just as good as sparring.

So, all he did was shine the light back on you.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's all this pseudish crap about 'delivery system' again ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by King117
    Bro I wasn't trying to turn this into a trollfest. I was just speaking my opinion and I was not trying to start any kind of confusion. Anyways its cool though bro, nice to meet you.
    What he's trying to say is that if you make an statement, back it up with facts and well-thought explanations. These particular forums requires you to explain in detail your POVs. Simply saying "Real X is a powerful art" doesn't mean anything. What's powerful? For what? Compared to what? What makes it powerful?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    What's all this pseudish crap about 'delivery system' again ?
    You've been in the debates you know.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's meaningless marketing speak. I defy anybody here to give me a concise definition of 'delivery system' that doesn't restate something obvious that was well known before Thornton whooped his first Bruce Lee noise.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:49pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    It's meaningless marketing speak. I defy anybody here to give me a concise definition of 'delivery system' that doesn't restate something obvious that was well known before Thornton whooped his first Bruce Lee noise.
    Wow much easier to say what you mean than to be cryptic.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Do I really need to go quote hunting? Really Really?
    The chun hate tunnel was built by chunners so hate yourselves. ...
    So, all he did was shine the light back on you.
    I was actually saying what you were saying: that this discussion (in this particular thread about what -un training should incorporate according to Southpaw) should be kept free from YMAS-ish bashing.
    M1K3's post was an example of posts that don't bash rabidly.
    I said well done to him. That's all.

Besides, I doubt your quote hunt would turn up anything written by me, that would go along the lines of:
    Deadliest art was said by many chunners. Just like boxing but better was said by many chunners. We don't need to train alive was said by many chunners. They do believe the deadly.
    That is where this whole debate started. Chunners saying Chi Sau is just as good as sparring.
    The one thing I miss from this thread is the presence of actual -ing -un teachers here, who are the ones Southpaw directed his words to...
    Last edited by Tonuzaba; 8/07/2007 2:07pm at .

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast