Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 8:29pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Boxing Gym - Plans and Sparring

So I called and spoke with a local boxing gym today and was told two things which I would like to run by you:

1) They run monthly plans of 6 month, 1 year, and 2 years. What is a normal per month rate in the metro ny area?

2) They don't allow sparring with their amateur team (and its that or none) until devotion is shown with workout ethic and commitment to boxing so that getting pounded doesn't discourage you. Is this normal? And if not, is it a better than average thing?

Mind you, I called as a normal person, which I am. Not an amateur fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 9:19pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's pretty standard practice not to let people spar until a coach feels they are ready and can adequately control/defend themselves. Which can take a short while or a long while depending on your progress. That's the only question I can answer though, good luck.

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 2:52am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unlike other martial arts, boxers hit very hard during sparring. I was quite surprised when I took up boxing recently, bloody noses were not even an event worth batting an eyelid over.

Even in muay thai, when we're sparring, most likely we'll hear the coach yelling "Control!" "Don't hit too hard!"

In boxing the coach is yelling "Punch harder!"

You definitely need a level of skill before you can even start sparring. Otherwise it's very likely no one will come back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 12:48pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The previous two posts are right on. You have to prove yourself before they'll let you spar because otherwise too many people would just get beat up. If you train hard on a regular basis you should be sparring before too long but they have to make sure you at least understand the basics first.

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 1:34pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you get a few pay as you go classes to get a feel for it first? You do not want to sign a contract before you know you want to be there. Might sound obvious but TKD guys are retards *hides*
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 3:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "2) They don't allow sparring with their amateur team (and its that or none) until devotion is shown with workout ethic and commitment to boxing so that getting pounded doesn't discourage you. Is this normal? And if not, is it a better than average thing?
    To add to the above, my old boxing coach wouldn't let people only come in to spar - you had to be there to help your team mates - hold pads, work 2 man drills, that stuff.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 8:45pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input all, I am just worried about joining a boxing gym in a contract and not getting hit. I want that experience.

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 2:27am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if you go for the 6 month contract and don't spar you can quit after and you should have a good base to start sparring somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 11:10am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6 mos. isn't bad. You should be able to tell if the gym is worth 6 mos. pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by NasalInfection
    Thanks for the input all, I am just worried about joining a boxing gym in a contract and not getting hit. I want that experience.
    You want to be prepared to get hit. If you aren't, your technique will be sloppy. If it is a good coach, they will know when you are ready.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 2:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know the first thing I reccomend to someone looking to start up boxing is search for a PAL(Police Athletic League) gym. They're cheaper you won't have to spend money on gear at first and from what I've seen the coaches are 100% commited to boxing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast