Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 3:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reputable American TKD organizations?

Right now, I am in Korea, taking TKD through the KTA. I just started, but I would like to continue when I get back to the states (I'm stationed in Seoul.) From everything I've read, the ATA sounds like it is junk. Are there any TKD organizations (WTF style) that are reputable in America? If not, I'll just drop the TKD and go to hapkido (I am going to be starting the Hapkido tomorrow anyways.) Any help on selecting an organization / dojang that will actually push me to suceed will be great.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 3:37pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are insistent on continuing with TKD in the states there are some reasonable WTF schools around the country, a lot depends on where you are moving to. There are also a few ITF schools and orgs that train pretty damn hard. You are going to be hard pressed to find a TKD school that isn't a strip mall mcdojo though to be honest. If you know the area you will be moving to let me know and I'll try to find some info on the schools in that area for you. No matter what though I imagine you'll find the TKD in the USA to be a couple of steps down from what you are training over in Korea.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 3:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tacoma, WA area, Palmdale or LA, CA areas is where I am looking at, unless the Army sends me somewhere else. BTW, TKD is by no means the only thing I will be taking, it is a start though.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 3:55pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started in TKD as well. I got good balance and flexibility out of it, a good understanding of body mechanics, some pretty good kicks and pretty damn good cardio. My TKD school had infrequent full contact sparring, frequent medium contact point sparring, and a lot of forms. I enjoyed it, but it's not the best place to learn to fight. There are some awesome Muy Thai and BJJ gyms in Cali, but the only good TKD place I know if is in Nevada and it's Master Vierra's TKD. He's also a Cesar Gracie purple (Might be brown by now, I had heard he was getting promoted) belt and is the reason my TKD school was any good. He was the head of our TKD organization before he went his own way. His name is Wade Vierra and if you end up in his area look him up.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 6:28am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I study TKD in Palmdale, Ca. The school that I train at is brand new and has some bugs to work out. I joined the sparring team to get into some real sparring, not just the simulated stuff that he does in the regular class. He has some bugs to work out, but for the most part it is pretty good training.

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 7:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the name of the school you go to sgtdutch.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 8:24am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to know if you're getting good WTF instruction.... look at the caliber of students. If there are a few guys that compete regularily, try out for national teams, do well in state compitiions, you're likely in a school that teaches well. Look at videos of Koreans on youtube, or the higher level guys where you are... find a school in the states with guys that look like that...

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 7:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USTaekwondo is the name of the organization which heads up the WTF in the US. Each State will have it's own association. Simply contact the association in the state you may be PCSing to, and ask them for the results of last year's state championship. That should give you a good idea of where to go to train.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 3:32pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by koronen
    What is the name of the school you go to sgtdutch.
    Victory Taekwondo Center.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    11/04/2007 6:45am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do not post in all capital letters.

Thank you.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 11/04/2007 7:41am at .