Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 9:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

King of Kombat - Austin, TX, Aug 04 (now w/ some results and video)

http://www.txmma.com/modules.php?nam...er=asc&start=0

Anyone from here going to compete in this?
    Last edited by TEA; 8/08/2007 8:56am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 1:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DAMN IT I found out about this at the last f-ing minute. I cant make an out of town trip on such a short notice (I'm from the Houston area)...

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 8:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Cesar
    DAMN IT I found out about this at the last f-ing minute. I cant make an out of town trip on such a short notice (I'm from the Houston area)...
    Sorry I didn't post sooner, but I only really found out all the details about this Wednesday night. I found their "official" Web site a few weeks ago from a link on TXMMA, but the only thing on that site is the flyer, which doesn't provide any information on registration or when the actual competition is. One of the purple belts told me on Wednesday night that all the important details are in that discussion thread on TXMMA. Stupid me for not realizing that I needed to look at a discussion thread on a relatively obscure Web site for details on what is being billed as a major interstate grappling tournament and MMA convention. Lucky I did look yesterday morning, though, because they have changed the weight divisions, which just barely gives me enough time to cut weight to make the Middle Weight Division.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bas Rutten is going to be there... damn it damn it damn it. I'll start keeping my eyes open more often from now on so that I dont miss big events like these.

But yea, crappy advertisement on their part. From what I saw they dont seem to have a featherweight division ( I weigh 135 pounds), I'll make it next time for sure.

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 10:51am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did it go? I had family commitments so I was unable to attend. I noticed txmma had not yet posted the results.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 11:36am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir
    How did it go? I had family commitments so I was unable to attend. I noticed txmma had not yet posted the results.
    I was unable to stay through the whole thing, so I'm waiting to see the results, too.

Attendance was fairly good in terms of competitors, but not many spectators. In addition to the local schools, it looked like there were a couple of out of town/state schools, too. I think if they had done a better job advertising that they would have had an even better turn out. In addition to the genorous cash prizes for the winners in the advanced divisions, they were also awarding what looked to be some high quality katana for first prize of each advanced division.

Organizationally, it was pretty chaotic. One of our guys reported that when he showed up at noon on Friday to weigh-in, they still weren't set up and he had to wait around for about a half hour from them to get organized. I weighed-in just after 1:00 on Friday, so it wasn't an issue for me. Another one of our guys was there when I got there to weigh in and he was still working to cut weight. As he was about to get on the scales again, after running around in the parking lot for a while, one of the organizers told him and the girls running the weigh-ins that since he was fighting in the advanced division that he didn't need to weigh again, since the advanced division had fewer and broader weight classes, so he had actually made weight the first time. Grrr.

Saturday was also chaotic. They were supposed to start running matches at 10:00, starting with beginner gi. I got there just before 9:00 to scope out the scene, set up camp and warm-up a bit. When I got there, they only had one mat set up and none of the judges tables. The rest of the mats didn't show up until after 10:30, but were set up in short order.

As they were setting up the rest of the mats, the main guy running the show called all the competitors together for a rules meeting. This was one of the whackier aspects of the whole thing. He actually had everyone agree on a rule set by consensus right there just before starting competition. The rule set that he got everyone to agree to was pretty permissive and was the same for beginners through advanced (knee bars, ankle locks, heel hooks, splicers, compression locks, cervical cranks w/o twisting all OK - no spiking or slamming from guard - 2 points for takedowns, passing the guard, and reversals, 4 points for throws [feet of uke chest high or higher] and taking mount or the back and setting hooks - no points for pulling guard and 2pt deduction if the judge thinks it was to avoid a takedwown or throw). Because a Fox News crew was supposed to be enroute, they decided to run the advanced division first.

The Austin Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Academy had a fairly large contingent and did pretty well over all. I lost my match to an armbar a little over four minutes into my first match. Two of our white belts took first in two of the beginners division (one against the guy who beat me). One of our female fighters won both gi and no-gi, but only had one opponent. One of our purple belts won second place in his division, losing on points to a Brazilian black belt. Jason Dyer, who is a former NCAA All American wrestler from OU, won his first ever gi competition against a Brazilian black belt, who is also a 6 time world champ. Jason Carr won gi and no-gi in his division, and won the absolute.

Oh, I did not see Bas.
    Last edited by TEA; 8/06/2007 11:44am at .

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, Ryan Larson from Relson Gracie won his division (LW?).

Here is some video clips of Justin's final match with the black belt.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...dandeezy21&p=r

and some pictures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11048293@N04/
    Last edited by TEA; 8/06/2007 2:56pm at .

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 8:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More Video

Some more video. Pics coming soon. I just got my wife's laptop hooked up and have been updating software.

First, some guy named Fred beating my ass. I think my biggest mistake was switching forearms when I was in his half guard. That set me up for the reversal and my ultimate demise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfD58LKxTHA

In retrospect, I think I could have turned that headlock in the beginning of the match into a choke (a kind of reverse guilotine) if I'd put my right hand on my left bicept and pushed down on his head with my left hand.

Travis avenging our losses to Fred and winning the novice middle weight w/ gi division. I mistakenly had the camera set wrong at the beginning and missed the first 30 to 45 seconds of this fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSPixQMG3iU