230596 Bullies, 3689 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hip-Hop and you, the Martial Artist

An angry guitar riff starts off another long set of death metal training music. Like white boy crack, all my training partners seem to gravitate towards another white male’s angry screams.

Not really my scene, though, and I know I’m not alone. A lot of people train to what some might consider, “unconventional,” music. What you’ll see here, though, should be right near the top of the list, in m opinion.

Hip-Hop, son. Yah, I said it. “Why the **** would I want to listen to hip-hop while training, Kai? Don’t you know Rock/GangsterRap is so much more Hardcore?” Yah, maybe, but better for training? No, and I’ll explain why, in three easy steps.

1: Pacing
    Today’s metal has a tendency to be all over the place in terms of rhythm and pacing, but both classic and modern hip-hop relies on a steady and strong beat. So, while your more frantic tunes may seem to induce higher levels of adrenaline, a good hip-hop vibe can contribute to a good biorhythm, which help your body with all kinds of things, with increased blood flow and lower lactic acid build-up just being a couple.

2: Aesthetic
    While you may LIKE rock/metal, having a different style of music while you train can actually help establish a different mood for training. Some studies suggest that volume/intensity is a less important factor in workouts than BeatsPerMinute/Rhythm. Simply hearing a steady beat in your head can push you to perform athletic feats for longer periods of time, as any runner can attest to.

3: Change is Good
    Staying away from a stagnant training environment is a very effective way of keeping overall attitude of the gym up in the satisfactory range. If all you here is one type of background noise while you train, it can lose it’s positive effect. Keeping new material in your cd changer can be Justas important as changing up your drills to work on your weaker areas.

Only you can truly say whether this gift from our brother-of-African-descent is truly for you, but try it, and I think you’ll see it can be a definite (even if infrequent) addition to your training routine.

BEGINNERS TRY:
    Common
    Talib Kweli
    Mos Def
    Kanye West

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx5aVI2zsFE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqn5f2ISnvo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pUKLD_0NsE

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 12:30am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never been able to listen to music while training, but when I'm feeling worn down and like I might want to turn the car around on the way to the dojo, Wu-Tang never fails to motivate. Actually, it never fails to motivate me for anything. The same goes with Slayer.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 3:32am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gay...

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 4:17am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do not have music on the background at my gym (at least in the beginner's class I'm taking) but when train at home I listen Atmosphere a lot.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 4:24am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we roll to reggae, also hip hop, 80s power ballads, some rock when it gets sneaked into the tape deck... reggae is the best imo though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 5:33am

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We train to a mixture of Metal and House/Techno depending on who gets their iPod connceted to the stereo first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 9:13am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We often have older hip hop on at my academy. When it seems like people are flagging, however, the guy who own's the IPod often puts on Enter Sandman. So now I identify that song with being choked while very tired. This seems entirely appropriate.

:)

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at the gym, it's usually reggae, old school hip hop, or something with a suspiciously techno sounding beat.I don't control the stereo, though, I already get distracted enough without playing DJ.

At home, I train to reggae, or Amy Winehouse.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 10:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

um, yeah, um, er, aaaa......

Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja

At home, I train to reggae, or Amy Winehouse.
    Granted I do like Amy's music. I wouldn't consider "Fade to Black" fight focus music. That's really interesting. Now I might have to try some Enya or something cause that's about the only thing I can think of that's as different as Amy for training. OOOOOOOH, wait, how about gospel music. I'm gonna have to try that.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach plays hip hop, R&B and the occasional house music. One day a while back a Fleetwood Mac song somehow got in the mix... it was awkward.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast