Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 9:39am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dahn Yoga & Tai Chi Centers

Ok, I don't know if these places are springing up around your area, but recently in Chicago and its suburbs. So being the everloving Korean martial art leg humping nut rider that I am, I thought I would go in check out a class and ask some questions. I had to fill out a visitor's form where it asks, with no big surprise, what I do for a living. (Note: For those not hip to this question, it is their way of finding out how much they will be charging you as well as how much time they will spend trying to get you into their school. Many TKD schools love this question). So naturally I this threw up the first red flag and strike one. So here are the questions I asked and the answers I received:

(Note: These answers are not verbatum as it would not make any sense to try and write down the broken English endured in order to make the point at hand)

Q1) Can I sit in and watch a class? (As I hear the Ohmssssss...from a class that was currently happening)

A) What we do is a $20 assesment introductory so that we can check up on your balance, flexibility, energy level and chi level. After that if you can try a class and see if you like it

Ok, I have to pay for an intro for a check up on my 'chi levels' just so I can sit in a class and see if I like it. Strike two!

Q2) What style of Taichi do you teach?

A) Oh it is a Korean style

Follow up Q) Ok what is the style called?

A) It is from Korea so it is just a Korean style.

Follow up Q) So what is it name? Is it from the Chen, Wu, Yang or Bagua Family?

A) No..no..It is not from them it is Korean style. It is hard to explain it to non-Korean speaking people

(Note: I never told him I could speak some Korean, nor did I tell him I spent 20 years involved in Korean arts and have spent time studying Korean history, so I just kept playing the "dumb" round-eye)

Ok...so it is a Korean Taichi system, with a name no white man would comprehend. we'll call this a draw, but, seeing as the past 50 years, Korea has made some new things in the martial arts, why not their own Taichi. Fair enough. We'll move on.

Q3) What is your lineage? Who is your instructor and his qualifications.

A) Oh our system is 5000 years old.

Can you hear the screeching tires follow by the crash in my head?

It was at this time I got up and thanked him got up to leave. He pursued me asking what was wrong to which I simply asked him how can you say that your system is 5000 years old when your society hasn't even been around that long. Taichi itself was passed from India to China and even they do not claim 5000 year old lineage. You society is based on the migration of Monglians moving from China into what is now known as Korea. So you mean to tell me that Koreans were studying taichi long before they even exisited as a society? Either you don't know what you are talking about, which tells me that I don't want to learn from you or you are lying to me which tells me I don't want to learn from you. I then thanked him for his time and wished him well.....in Korean (you know the one language us round eyes would never comprehend)

Here is the link their site. Apparently this is a very popular movement over in Korea right now (why does the term Falung gong come to mind?)

http://eng.dahnworld.com/eng/index.asp
    Last edited by Miguksaram; 11/15/2004 9:42am at .
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 9:55am

Style: 11 1/2 Dan in Roshambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You sure its not called Yai Yhi....like Yudo (Korean Judo)?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 11:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpofred
    You sure its not called Yai Yhi....like Yudo (Korean Judo)?
    Since I am not quick to catch sarcasm today, I pray you were kidding with your last post.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 11:18am

Style: 11 1/2 Dan in Roshambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I was yust yoking.

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting read, my only quible is that I know of no evidence to sugest that tai chi came from india.
    rep++

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 11:39am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're in Chicago? WHy the hell haven't you been to throwdowns? :( We're planning the December one!

Good call on the expose.

In all seriousness, I think there should be an effort by the mods and admins here to cobble together a guide for people interested in martial arts for the Better Business Bureau or something. Most people don't know how to recognize these features.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 12:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpofred
    Yes, I was yust yoking.
    I figured. I am just so f'n exhausted from officiating at a tournament full of kinder-care black belts and a banquet. :5shocking
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 12:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Interesting read, my only quible is that I know of no evidence to sugest that tai chi came from india.
    rep++
    If you look deep into the roots of how it began, it was from breathing exercises brought over from Boddhirama. From there it developed into a series of movements that lead to Taichi. Bottom line Korean Tai Chi is not 5000 years old.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 12:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    You're in Chicago? WHy the hell haven't you been to throwdowns? :( We're planning the December one!

Good call on the expose.

In all seriousness, I think there should be an effort by the mods and admins here to cobble together a guide for people interested in martial arts for the Better Business Bureau or something. Most people don't know how to recognize these features.
    Mostly because I don't go into the McThrowdown section to know that they are coming up. However, I had knee surgery back in September so I was and still am in no shape to get my ass served to me on a silver platter quite yet. But I am going to make one as soon as I am in better shape to actually participate.

Secondly, BBB are not proactive they are mostly reactive to this type of thing. Plus once you get a government agency involved you do run the risk of starting regulations, which only brings problems.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 1 of 20 1 234511 ... LastLast