Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 6:01pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Time to find a new hobby. Seriously, you have a bad back, and doing BJJ and all that **** is going to have you walking around with a cane or hooked on painkillers. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. I'm not saying this to bum you out, but maybe you could save yourself some time and grief by starting something new. I hate not doing martial arts, but after a point it was making me feel older, not younger. That's what happens with a recurring injury. You rest, and feel ok, then you start rolling or sparring, it's fine for awhile and then you re-injure it. Every time it gets injured it gets weaker, not stronger. Don't buy that "no pain, no gain" Arnold
    Schwarzenegger ****. They have to help him up out of cars and helicopters now, because all his joints are fucked up. At least he got a huge carreer and the Governership out of it. This will probably just piss you off, but that really isn't my intention.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 6:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Wow, that basically means I couldn't work.

I work on a computer so it's a serious issue. Most compression comes from that one benign activity.

Some alternatives.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Time to find a new hobby. Seriously, you have a bad back, and doing BJJ and all that **** is going to have you walking around with a cane or hooked on painkillers.

You rest, and feel ok, then you start rolling or sparring, it's fine for awhile and then you re-injure it.
    Actually, my back is always worse when I'm not able to roll. Probably because I'm at a desk or hiking around with heavy gear and not stretching. When I'm able to train more than once a week my back is far better than otherwise.

Right now I'm only really making Saturday morning "classes" (really just long sessions of rounds) and my back feels great until about Wednesday when sleeping on the ground, hiking and sitting at a desk with no sleep start to take a toll.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 3:24pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it you are in the service? Sitting is the worst thing you can do for your back. All I can suggest is taking frequent breaks from sitting, or, get into another line of work, which is easy to say, but hard to do. Good luck.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'm an academic. I absolutely do need to start taking breaks from sitting, thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 9:09am

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Staying on a dip or chin bar will decompress you with emphasis on the area of the spine below where the arms attach. They don't decompress your neck, though you stay everted which means less blood rushing to you which can get uncomfortable.

Inversion tables and/or gravity boots decompress you with emphasis on the legs and lower part of the spine, and also decompress your neck.

You can also do a standing forward bend, which doesn't decompress your neck, but should do it for parts of your spine. Not the safest for peopel with injuries though.

Plus there are things like portable back stretchers like the Lynx that Teeter Hangups sells. Have to be careful abouwholly intuitive things like that though, and I'm lazy so I'd rather let gravity do it.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 10:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    welcome to the old battered martial artist club.
    Hells yeah! I'll drink to that. I don't have a single day without pain in multiple areas. However, like Umpa said if I'm not training it WAY worse.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 10:44pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not joking and not a certified medical opinion at all but a blast from the 80's Gravity boots
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_boots

I hang upside from a chin up bar it helps
    Last edited by antman; 8/11/2007 1:40pm at .
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 1:42pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aALso when I have time I lay down with my legs on a chair or couch with my back on the floor. when I read or relax sometimes it takes some pressure off of my low back area.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 2:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    Hells yeah! I'll drink to that. I don't have a single day without pain in multiple areas. However, like Umpa said if I'm not training it WAY worse.
    That is really the best thing Upa can do for his problem. Unfortunately, it is going to take discipline and a lot of work. Regular strengthening of the abdominals, core muscles, back. Plenty of stretching. Also, I think it makes sense to want to increase vascularization to the effected areas to aide the body in healing. This may include chiropractic so long as you do not have a herniated nucleus pulposis. But, what I do is use a heating pad, and Chinese medicine , and whatever else may help promote good vascularization.

This may include stopping things that hinder vascularization, such as smoking and caffine.

But I'd say no on the surgery. You're too young, and unless you are having some troublesome paralysis or a serious foot drop, I'd steer clear of the knife.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast