Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 9:15am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ours isn't an MMA gym. We do karate and jujutsu and allow folks to mix the two when sparring. So, sometimes you can end up mounted with someone hitting you in the head. The intensity varies based on the person getting hit and common sense.

First we introduce reversals to the person mounted. When they can reverse someone who isn't hitting them, we let the other guy hit them. First we start with a very even punch-punch-punch-punch rhythm. As the person getting punched gets better at defending against the punches and setting up/executing a reversal we increase the intensity of the attacks.

The puncher has more responsibilities than just attacking. During the drilling, if they see the person defending is overwhelmed, they start telling them what they need to do "Cover up your head. Reach up and pull me down." etc. If the coaching doesn't work, then they'll slow their attacks.

Mark

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 9:43am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically, they experiment on all the people that are weaker, and easier to hit. They call them fresh meat, while they take there money and tell them to hang in there....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 9:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    new2bjj

Was this in response to my post?

Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Basically, they experiment on all the people that are weaker, and easier to hit. They call them fresh meat, while they take there money and tell them to hang in there....
    If so the answer is ummmmmmmm, no. The guys are all smart enough to go easy on beginners. Besides, we always start drills like this by saying "Ok. Now remember. You guys getting hit have the opportunity to hit the other guy back when its his turn on the bottom."

Mark

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we'll do grappling wearing our 5oz gloves and "simulated" low power strikes, then we'll have a BOB top or our grappling dummy in the cage too and periodically the one being trained will switch over to the dummy then unleash a finishing fury of full power blows.

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 11:17am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by juszczec
    new2bjj

Was this in response to my post?

If so the answer is ummmmmmmm, no. The guys are all smart enough to go easy on beginners. Besides, we always start drills like this by saying "Ok. Now remember. You guys getting hit have the opportunity to hit the other guy back when its his turn on the bottom."

Mark
    I was just kidding around, to an extent. There are plenty of assholes in every sport that view the other players, teammates etc as just someone to use and discard.
    I don't see why MMA would be any different. At the same time, there are plenty of guys that go in and like the camradarie and understand that just because everyone can't accel, doesn't mean that you have to tool them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 11:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    I was just kidding around, to an extent. There are plenty of assholes in every sport that view the other players, teammates etc as just someone to use and discard.
    I don't see why MMA would be any different. At the same time, there are plenty of guys that go in and like the camradarie and understand that just because everyone can't accel, doesn't mean that you have to tool them.
    Ok. I understand.

Its a sore point with me. The folks running the health club and some of the health club members look at how we train and are a bit leery of it. And I think I've posted about the local TKD school owner who calls our training methods brutal.

I'm constantly having to tell people - if its so brutal, why is my nose so straight and why aren't I any uglier?

FWIW, we've been lucky there have been no assholes.

Mark

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 11:30am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can get the front load grappling gloves meant for striking & grappling. They'll provide a lot more protection than regular gloves. But they do take some getting used to.

And again, I'd have to agree with Cracky on the need for grappling w/o striking. You need to know the submissions and the only way to do that is to work them. If all you want to do is MMA then I guess you be OK. But you'll find you'll almost always revert to striking to get out of a situation rather than actually grappling. For people who take grappling seriously and compete in both grappling and MMA event you have to have just straight grappling time. IME it take a hell of a lot more skill to grapple your way out of a problem than it does to strike your way out.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 12:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be pressed to believe that even when one is interested solely in MMA, relying on strikes only to get out of subs would not work against a MMAist with solid grappling skills.

In MMA classes, we would use 50% of the time in standup and takedown offense and defense. The other 50% would be grappling with light punches to the ribs and slaps/palm strikes to the side of the head, leaving the last 5 mins of rolling for pure grappling. The only time we punched hard was while practicing GnP with a heavy bag on the floor (with the instructor pulling us away from it).
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 1:23pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But said "MMAist with strong grappling skills" is expecting to be hit as well. And I was pointing out that if you don't break the pure grappling and the strikes while grappling up then you'll most likely revert to striking to save your ass instead of grappling.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12