Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 1:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Problems with Auto-Ordnance .45

About 6 mos ago my brother bought an auto-ordnance 1911 and the thing constantly jams. After about 800 rounds it still does and is at the point you can't get 1 mag through it w/o 2-3 jams. He is super picky about keeping the gun clean and it's maintence. Once again any help is appreciated.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 2:11pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes the slide catch spring is either too weak on non-existant on 1911 based models, to include the Hi-Power. When you fire it, the slide catch will jump up and cause a failure either by locking the slide in the open position or delaying the action which causes a jam. This occurs most often with older weapons. Changing the type of ammunition used may also help, definitely make sure he's using APC and not GAP .45, which if I'm not mistaken will feed into a 1911 but cause stoppages like you describe.

Like cars, sometimes some pistols are just pieces of ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 3:03pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pakuakid
    About 6 mos ago my brother bought an auto-ordnance 1911 and the thing constantly jams. After about 800 rounds it still does and is at the point you can't get 1 mag through it w/o 2-3 jams. He is super picky about keeping the gun clean and it's maintence. Once again any help is appreciated.

What kind of ammo is he using? Semiwadcutters? Underpowered handloads? Hollowpoints? If in doubt, try some new high quality factory ammo, such as Speer Lawman 230 grain TMJ or American Eagle 230 grain FMJ. Even Winchester white box 230 grain FMJ.

If it's not the ammo, the first thing I do, is to check the magazines. If you can find another, new magazine, then I'd try that first. That would be the easiest way.

Bad magazine springs or bad followers can cause feeding problems, and sometimes all it takes is a magazine swap.

One particular brand of 1911 magazines is made by Virgil Tripp (Cobra Mags) and they can sometimes help those who have had rotten luck with other magazines.

http://www.trippresearch.com/products/products.htm

If none of the above work, you may want to take the barrel to a gun smith, and have him do a bit of throating, to improve feeding reliability. The .45 ACP is such a low pressure round, that the brass should be just fine (in case if you reload).