Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 1:35pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some styles of TCC do have a reputation for being hard on the knees. I know a few people who have reported improvements after switching to our style. (But not everyone.) Every knee is different and every injury is different too. I've had a serious knee injury (ACL+PCL+MCL) and a couple of surgeries and I've not had too much problem. YMMV.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't handle properly taught 'gentle' Tai Chi exercises you won't be physically able to do any rough-n-tumble standup art without risking injury. So you're either going to rehabilitate that sore knee or you're going to do BJJ.

I feel your pain.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 10:44pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    Some styles of TCC do have a reputation for being hard on the knees. I know a few people who have reported improvements after switching to our style. (But not everyone.) Every knee is different and every injury is different too. I've had a serious knee injury (ACL+PCL+MCL) and a couple of surgeries and I've not had too much problem. YMMV.
    I've received a lot of corrections while doing TCC to avoid stressing the knees. I think the reputation has a lot to do with people teaching parts of the style incorrectly.

Hey meataxe, you had the ACL+PCL+MCL torn? How long did it take for the docs to reattach your leg? ouch.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 6:34pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hands
    I've received a lot of corrections while doing TCC to avoid stressing the knees. I think the reputation has a lot to do with people teaching parts of the style incorrectly.

Hey meataxe, you had the ACL+PCL+MCL torn? How long did it take for the docs to reattach your leg? ouch.
    It was a 4-hour surgery followed by about 5-months on crutches. Motorcycle related, not MA FWIW.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 7:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex-tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by Hands

probably a bit to do with that, but i think that it could be trying to go too low too soon in the stances. I used to try and emulate my instructors by going fairly low in my postures when i was still leaning forward massively, so all the pressure was felt on my knees.

If you're going through with doing TCC anyhow, keep the stances high would be the best advice i could think of

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 8:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tatsu84
    [/i]

probably a bit to do with that, but i think that it could be trying to go too low too soon in the stances. I used to try and emulate my instructors by going fairly low in my postures when i was still leaning forward massively, so all the pressure was felt on my knees.

If you're going through with doing TCC anyhow, keep the stances high would be the best advice i could think of
    I was doing the same thing, trying to imitate the guy teaching. I found things easier when he corrected some of my movements. The problem was that I was bending too much at the knees and wasn't bending more at the hips (sitting). The two rules I learned was 1. not to extend the knee past the alignment of the foot and 2. don't move across the knee in a side-to-side motion.

I should restate that it isn't teaching the style incorrectly but more of not pointing out a problem area. I think that's more for people that have that issue long-term.

I have to say its hard to imitate an instructors low stance when they are almost a foot shorter than you.

Hey, you TC guys do any throws?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 9:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say its hard to imitate an instructors low stance when they are almost a foot shorter than you.

Hey, you TC guys do any throws?
    I'd say it's hard NOT to imitate a short instructor....coz our main instructor is like almost a foot shorter than me, and when he says "it's done like this" it's hard not to try and go as low as he does in trying to perfect the movement lol

In my particular style it's mostly strikes and locks, but we do have some throws included. Unfortunately, since we don't do a hell of alot of sparring anymore (more to due to a lack of sparring partners) so i haven't had much of an oppotunity to practise throws

Did you do some TCC earlier?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 12:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tatsu84
    I'd say it's hard NOT to imitate a short instructor....coz our main instructor is like almost a foot shorter than me, and when he says "it's done like this" it's hard not to try and go as low as he does in trying to perfect the movement lol

In my particular style it's mostly strikes and locks, but we do have some throws included. Unfortunately, since we don't do a hell of alot of sparring anymore (more to due to a lack of sparring partners) so i haven't had much of an oppotunity to practise throws

Did you do some TCC earlier?
    The funny part about training with shorter people is that you always feel like a slacker when everyone is going low.

I've been training TCC off and on over the past year as I've had time. The variants of TCC that I've been exposed to are Chen Man Ching and Li Family. Both variants are Yang. I noticed the benefits of improving body mechanics while training Mongolian with the resident TC guy. So its a style that I still intend to train as a supplement to Mongolian and other styles that I'm working on.

I noticed that TCC is helpful in defending against throws, having a solid base to throw, and in putting people off balance to throw or strike. What was really interesting was when I used a TC type of technique while I was on the ground. That surpised me, it surprised the guy I threw even more lol.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 12:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hands
    The funny part about training with shorter people is that you always feel like a slacker when everyone is going low.

I've been training TCC off and on over the past year as I've had time. The variants of TCC that I've been exposed to are Chen Man Ching and Li Family. Both variants are Yang. I noticed the benefits of improving body mechanics while training Mongolian with the resident TC guy. So its a style that I still intend to train as a supplement to Mongolian and other styles that I'm working on.

I noticed that TCC is helpful in defending against throws, having a solid base to throw, and in putting people off balance to throw or strike. What was really interesting was when I used a TC type of technique while I was on the ground. That surpised me, it surprised the guy I threw even more lol.
    lol So true about the shorter people comment

The grounding and rooting that's involved in TCC would, i imagine, be really useful to someone doing a grappling art. I've read on other forums that people have drawn the comparison betwen BJJ and TCC when it goes to grappling on the ground....but since my school doesn't really do heaps of sparring, I'm yet to test that out myself
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12