Sponsored Links Spacer Image

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 12:12am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snwbrdngpoo View Post
    I've never been taught extensively how to strike like a boxer or have learned karate strikes or anything of that matter. However, I've learned enough about striking so as if attacked, I can effectively atemi enough to perform an actual move.
    "Effectively enough" -- by what standard? It's entirely possible that you're better than when you started, but it doesn't make much sense to assume that any opponent you face when you actually have to pull off a move is necessarily and completely incompetent.

I don't see how training in Aikido could turn out to be a BAD choice.
    The flippant and obvious argument -- so obvious, in fact, that I'm not a little surprised you didn't anticipate it -- is that every hour you spend practicing aikido is an hour you could otherwise spend practicing judo (or, for that matter, boxing -- I'm pretty sure their atemi-waza work...).

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 12:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread needs some aiki boxing

YouTube - Aiki-Boxing 3

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 5:15am

Style: BJJ (ex DRAJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    Aikdo's fundamental flaw isn't the lack or inclusion of Atemi, it's the lack of understanding the basics that Ueshiba built it on.

Daito Ryu seems to promise that it holds those basics but systematically fails when examined.

Ultimately the best thing an Aikidoka can do to approach practicality is to study Judo and learn where the basics come from and practice them in a realistic manner.
    There are actually schools that combine Yoshinkan Aikido with BJJ, there is at least one in the city I live in. I don't really know how they combine the two, I went to a free lesson and I only practiced BJJ and some other guys practiced only Yoshinkan Aikido.
    There are also Aikido and DR schools that practice some free ground fighting, but only from a certain level. (Black belt or Q1 and above).

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 12:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_Murdock View Post
    There are actually schools that combine Yoshinkan Aikido with BJJ, there is at least one in the city I live in. I don't really know how they combine the two, I went to a free lesson and I only practiced BJJ and some other guys practiced only Yoshinkan Aikido.
    There are also Aikido and DR schools that practice some free ground fighting, but only from a certain level. (Black belt or Q1 and above).
    I don't know about those schools so i can't specifically comment but I think it goes to what I am saying.

While technique wise there's not a lot of similarity BJJ shares principals that aikido uses, using the opponents force against him, control the core and control the body and so on and so forth. What you find is that a lot of grappling arts share these philosophies.

the problem with Aikido is that the Uke / Tori relationship limits effectivly practicing these things, even in harder styles like Yoshinkan

What I think the schools are trying to do by combining the two is give people an art (BJJ) in which they can fully play around with techniques and principals in an alive manner, so that even with the Aikido still following the uke/ tori paradigm you are working your fundamentals of body mechanics and conditioning responses through the BJJ.

So again Aikido + Judo or wrestling or BJJ is the way to go.

Daito ryu unfortunately in what I have seen constantly promises it and misses the mark.

That's not saying there aren't schools that get it but I have yet to see one on here.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234