Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 3:50pm

Style: Brazilian JiuJitsu, Wing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

variations of wing chun

this is just to inform people about the different variations of wing chun that are out there as well as how to ID a good teacher. So lets discuss just drop what your know about a variation of wing chun ex. pan nam, yip man (hong kong style) ect.... as well as how they differ from each other. any info would be very interesting to me.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 1:55am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...history+origin

I have discussed some differences historically in this thread. I still need to make 2 more posts in that forum about part of the Complete WC book and a few other stray ends.

No Hating on anyone, peace...

Lineage can be a con mans lie as easy as true, but sometimes even people in the direct line of instruction still don't get it right. So either way you got a 50/50 chance. It doesn't matter, you coould get it wrong yourself even!. So Lineage only serves as a historical value.

If you want to try to sort this out, start with an idea that WC, VT, and WT are the 3 primary initials used to try and start figuring out "What is the real _ing __un?" but don't stop there, thats just Uncle Yip Mans , there are others as well.

It seems the only thing Chunners agree on is that there is this "chi sau" thing that is ours alone, and that "chi sau" different then other push hands excercise ( note: its all the same stuff in the long run so we should just say, "it STARTS with ...")

So a Wing Whatever school should have a short forms warm up, exploding air drills with steps, some chi sau followed by lite sparring (as chi sau or harder). I doubt we could all agree on even that short a list. Some schools mix in other sport arts for sparring, some cross train with Escrima systems like JKD scions or WT with Latosa Escrima.

I would expect a _ing __un school to show me an example of a form/drill/ spar progression using the first forms with chi sau and then some applications (lat sau, one step demos, free hitting excersises, etc..). but I expect any MA to do that.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 3:02pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a broad church and lineage back biting is just so lame really. Other martial arts change all the time, as long as everyone is honest about it (ie not william cheung) then I do not see the problem.

To ID a good teacher the same would apply as to any other martial art, they should be honest about their expeiernce, be genuienly interested in teaching, train in an alive way and be open to change etc

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 3:59pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say that the main difference I see between the V___ T___ chi sao at my school, and the push hands that I've witnessed, is that we fucking hit each other.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    It seems the only thing Chunners agree on is that there is this "chi sau" thing that is ours alone, and that "chi sau" different then other push hands excercise ( note: its all the same stuff in the long run so we should just say, "it STARTS with ...")

I would expect a _ing __un school to show me an example of a form/drill/ spar progression using the first forms with chi sau and then some applications (lat sau, one step demos, free
    hitting excersises, etc..). but I expect any MA to do that.

Unfortunately, not true at all. There are variations which do not have ChiSao. (There are art which have "ChiSao", but they don't call it that, too.)

Additionally, there are variations which do not use forms. In fact, Yip Man taught his entire first class without forms until his students discovered, via going out and meeting others that there not only forms, but that Yip Man taught them when he taught in FatShan.

Is this issue so important? Fine:

- sit on your horse
    - occupy center
    - disperse, deflect, dominate
    - hit, kick, thrust, slice
    - practice, practice, practice
    - enjoy, grow, live
    - cooperate, share, pass it on

That's about it. :smile:
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.