Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 1:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good article. I wonder how many people will get upset.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 12:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting fist post in this section on internal systems also an interesting look at what Jigoro Kano was thinking when he created forms for his students.
    Now as to what shape a fighter has to be in, well Im know a few bikers that where far from being a physical Adonis but they sure as hell could kick some butt when it came to fighting

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by farwalkermoon View Post
    Interesting fist post in this section on internal systems also an interesting look at what Jigoro Kano was thinking when he created forms for his students.
    Now as to what shape a fighter has to be in, well Im know a few bikers that where far from being a physical Adonis but they sure as hell could kick some butt when it came to fighting
    Conversely, Royce Gracie was quoted in an interview in COMBAT mag (UK) a few years ago and he said, "Don't confuse being Tough with knowing what you're Doing".

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by farwalkermoon View Post
    People brawling in and around bars aren't organised into weight categories where every pound has to be accounted for as functional muscle before they scrap. Being a bit fat adds mass to your blows and can act as a shock absorber when people hit you in the body.

It detracts from your stamina and agility, but it doesn't matter too much for 30 seconds of wild haymaker swinging and the occasional stomp.

Lots of bouncers are bigger and stronger than the average guy but a bit on the fat side.
    Last edited by Cullion; 4/26/2011 6:18pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 8:07am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kung fu clips from Hunan in 1930:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-viKhsgO-0c#t=100

... note that at 1:40 they do combinations drills, then spar in boxing gloves.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
  6. stevenrmoody

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 4:12pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

TaiJi Fighting Hard to Find

Great article - it is so difficult to find Tai Ji instruction for fighting. One of my students tried for a long time to find someone here in the Bay Area (you think there would be someone here in one of the martial art capitals of the world!) but all he found was dancing and movement for health. He ended up switching to Wing Chun, which is in some ways a combat out-growth of TaiJi.

Posted On:
    8/04/2012 5:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenrmoody View Post
    so difficult to find Tai Ji instruction for fighting. One of my students tried for a long time to find someone here in the Bay Area [...] but all he found was dancing and movement for health.
    Tell him to go talk to Brent Hamby at EBM Kung Fu. Hi school in Oakland is one of the best in the country.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    9/08/2012 7:36pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My school is based on combat sports martial arts. I view myself as a coach, and my students as combat sport athletes for the most part. We are not commandos, ninjas, samurai or black ops. Just athletes.

Over the last 15 years, about a dozen or so of my students have been involved in actual altercations on the street. All of my students have managed to beat down their attackers in dominating fashion. Fortunately, in most (all but two) of the fights the opponents were unarmed.

Really the only thing I do differently from many modern BJJ and MMA academies is talk often about the differences in strategy between ring and sport fighting, and we practice a lot of situational preemptive hitting and takedowns. I believe this type of understanding and training is vital, but otherwise, regular combat sport based training is the norm.

In my experience, at least for the average (non-LEO/soldier) student, fundamental and well rounded sport combat based training is the most efficient and practical for acquiring realistic fighting skills that apply to the street, provided there is some emphasis on strategy and capitalizing on the element of surprise. And lots of real contact.
    — Tim Cartmell

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 8:55am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder what sort of training he would then recommend for LEOs or soldiers?

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 7:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    I wonder what sort of training he would then recommend for LEOs or soldiers?
    Mostly the same stuff, but for LEOs especially — probably soldiers as well — things like situational awareness, weapon retention during close quarters combat, restraining techniques, and so on. Here's a good video of training for these purposes:

Last edited by Jack Rusher; 9/10/2012 7:05pm at . Reason: Fix video embed.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16 LastLast