Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I've already said this, but perhaps it bears repeating. The reason I posted this was simply to get some additional feedback from people coming from a variety of perspectives. That, and I enjoy interacting with people here. However, I do obtain my training advice and learning primarily from qualified instructors and through actually training.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 8:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like you're leaning a bit on the jab. Try to keep your posture upright and make sure all the forward motion of your body comes from your legs, not your torso. Also, you look a little stiff in the arms and shoulders, as though your trying too hard to keep your hands and arms in a certain position. Try to let your hands come to a natural rest when you have them in guard and try to vary the frequency and angles of your punches a little more.

I understand you're not working on dancing around the bag (you looked a little cramped in there) but moving your feet a bit and stepping around as you work should help with your flow and relaxation.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 9:10pm

Style: Wing Chun Gung Fu/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

oh god...i'm just asking to get flamed here

look I know i'll get branded as a BL Nutrider for this one but here goes...

Try putting ur right hand in front. It makes ur jab easier.

position ur lead hand slightly lower than shoulder height and keep ur rear left well up to guard. Whatever your target is you should be able to point directly at it with your right index finger.

line up toe to arch to get more leverage and throw the lead with a vertical fist. snap back along the same path.

dont move your legs until after the punch starts moving

once it's on its way out push off with your rear foot and use jack dempsey's falling step

dont forget to twist ur hips.

t3h d34d1y right handed knockout jab!!!! in 6 easy steps!

P.S. I've seen the straight right lead work before OK, it may be surprising to you guys but some of Bruce Lee's stuff actually works sometimes!!!

P.P.S. Pay attention to what kidspatula said...i'll reiterate: DONT LEAN INTO THE JAB! EVER!!!!!:angry9:
    Last edited by Alex8876; 7/30/2007 9:13pm at .

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 9:39pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I was in a rush. I just think, as far as boxing goes, your coach should really be the final say. Especially since he is up close and can see your facial expressions, etc.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It appears you may have that 'lunging problem' because
    you are stepping out on the jab. You do appear to be
    crowding your space. As you work the bag, just shift your
    weight back & forth. . .slide step. That will also get your
    legs and hips working together with your jab.

It also appears you are pivoting the front foot,
    which is good, because you are getting some
    hip action and weight transfer behind the jab.

I think that thing about not wanting to 'chicken
    wing it' is causing you to unnecessarily tense up,
    trying to keep the form intact.

As has been said, loosen up a little, let it flow. . .
    the heavy bag will let you know immediately if a
    wrongly thrown jab hits it. There is no penetration,
    no power, and possibly a little tweaked pain.

Good luck!

`~/

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I'm pretty impressed with the critiques I got here. Fairly helpful and pretty spot on with what my coaches are telling me. And Kid, you read me like a book, girl. Heh.

I understand you're not working on dancing around the bag (you looked a little cramped in there) but moving your feet a bit and stepping around as you work should help with your flow and relaxation.
    This thought was echoed by a couple of people and I will definitely do so. I thought if I stood in the same spot I could just concentrate on that jab (and yes, folks, I am definitely thinking about things as I'm doing them at this point...), but I can see now how that is not a good way to practice. And that's something my coaches wouldn't be able to tell me because they are not seeing how I'm training when on my own at home.

Especially since he is up close and can see your facial expressions, etc.
    You mean the one where my eyes are screwed up and my toungue is sticking out of the corner of my mouth becuase I'm thinking too hard about what I'm doing? lol

Alex, I'm not going to switch up my stance, I'm afraid, or adopt BL's front hand down guard. However, interestingly enough, when one of my coaches was trying to get me to relax and snap out my jab he had me put my hands down and simply snap it out from there. It actually helped me a lot.

For my first foray into posting video to be critiqued, this worked out really well, IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 10:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Alex, I'm not going to switch up my stance, I'm afraid, or adopt BL's front hand down guard. However, interestingly enough, when one of my coaches was trying to get me to relax and snap out my jab he had me put my hands down and simply snap it out from there. It actually helped me a lot.

Ok ok I tried, you can keep your left hand in front if you want to...worked for Dempsey.
    BL put the front hand down cuz its harder to see the jab when the hand is down, thats a Muhammad Ali influence. Ali did that a lot. I was just saying you can fire a vertical fist jab way quicker if you can point at your target, and If your coaches had you jab with your hand down then maybe its a good idea.

You dont hafta have the hand all the way down, just slightly lower than shoulder height. I definately think that if you use a vertical fist and land w/the bottom 3 knuckles it hits WAY harder than a regular jab. POWER LINE! read Dempseys book if you havent already, ITS A REALLY GOOD BOOK!!!!

Even with ur left hand in front try the toe to arch thing. If you're not comfortable with the front foot toe to rear foot arch in ur stance, thats fine, do whatever works 4 u. I am just pointing out that if you use that alignment when you throw the stepping jab, and you use your hips and Dempsey's falling step, it will generate knock out force in the jab. It will work whether you put your left in front or not.

Whenever you feel yourself leaning into the jab, stop for a second and try to concentrate on rotating your hips instead of leaning.:happy7:

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 11:34am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used both vertical fist and orthodox jabs extensively, and to be honest I haven't noticed much difference in power. The vertical fist is a little more difficult to see coming due to the fact that you can't see the visual cue of the rotating elbow. But it is also much easier to counter with an overhand right due to the elbow being oriented downward. leaving a larger gap on the outside which a looping punch fits in to easier.

I honestly think that the whole fist orientation thing that so many people (particularly CMA people) get hung up on is far overrated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 5:32pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I've used both vertical fist and orthodox jabs extensively, and to be honest I haven't noticed much difference in power. The vertical fist is a little more difficult to see coming due to the fact that you can't see the visual cue of the rotating elbow. But it is also much easier to counter with an overhand right due to the elbow being oriented downward. leaving a larger gap on the outside which a looping punch fits in to easier.

I honestly think that the whole fist orientation thing that so many people (particularly CMA people) get hung up on is far overrated.
    Yes, it's good to use both. The vertical one can split through a guard better, but it's not as sound defensively.

Speaking of Jab's, what do people here think about Bas' "left straight"? I know he's said it's more powerful than the standard jab, but is is just like Dempsey's jolt?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 7:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    never seen it. kinda dissapointed that i didnt know bout it. Bas kicks ass
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast