Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help with my jab

Here's a vid of me working my jab. I throw a lot of jab-cross and jab-jab-cross, but it's the jab I'm really working on. Other than trying to keep a relaxed stance, there is no footwork due to the fact that I really am just concentrating on my jab, I wanted to stay in frame and my footwork sucks.

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=124bdf60.flv

I was working on "snapping" out my jab, since I have a tendency to "push" it. For a more detailed explanation of what I'm working on with my jab, check my training log here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54883

Also, this vid file is failry large (15+ megs) and I had no way to resize it. If anyone feels inclined to make it smaller and easier for people to load, please be my guest...
    Last edited by Matt W.; 7/30/2007 11:25am at .

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 11:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS, if a mod can embed that for me, that'd be great. Media tags didn't work.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 11:59am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "my footwork sucks."

That's what you need help with then. Good footwork is essential to having a good jab.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 12:00pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt, you're jamming yourself up a bit. You should be a little farther away from the target. I personally think that footwork is absolutely key to getting a jab working well. Without stepping into it at least a little, it really does minimal damage to an opponent. With the step, you will also be able to land from even further away, as the step allows you to cover some distance. So, by getting more extension and stepping in, you could probably end up standing a foot or 18 inches farther back, and still land them with some penetration.

Other than that, you seem to be getting some hip action into the strike, which is a good thing, and the snap looks alright.

Stylistically, I tend to turn my elbow over a bit more. It's tough to tell if you are keeping yours down a bit due to choice (CMA style) or the fact that you are stuffing your punches a bit. I will also tuck my chin behind my left shoulder as I jab, to defend it. As it stands now, your elbow and shoulder look fairly low as you are landing. There is a possibility that your opponent may use an outside slip, and counter you with a cross to the chin, which looks somewhat exposed. I try to avoid this by getting good extension, turning my punch over a bit more, getting my jab shoulder up, and tucking my chin behind it.

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 12:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Footwork: You can't see it, but I was turning my foot a bit with the jab. As for stepping... Aaargh! It's frustrating because one of the criticisms my boxing coach had was that I was lunging too much when doing my jab. So, now I'm not stepping at all, which is the other extreme. But I'll work on it...

You should be a little farther away from the target.
    Understood. And, laughably, I was already standing farther back than I really feel comfortable doing in this vid...

It's tough to tell if you are keeping yours down a bit due to choice (CMA style) or the fact that you are stuffing your punches a bit.
    I have a TKD background, BTW, not CMA. But, elbow-wize, I'm focusing on keeping it in and not chickenwinging it, which I have a tendency to do. Not sure if that explains what you're seeing, though.

As it stands now, your elbow and shoulder look fairly low as you are landing.
    I agree. I have a problem with dropping my hands in general. When throwing the jab I also tend to drop it as I bring it back, which has earned me some smacks to the head with the focus mit. Shoulder should be low and relaxed though, right? I was trying not to clench up my shoulders...

Good advice all around, Ryno. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 2:08pm

Style: Krav_Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ryno already covered extending the arm and distancing, my only suggestion would be to retract your jab all the way between multiple jabs and reset so you're not "knocking on the door"

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 2:11pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a boxing gym you can go to? I would thinnk that would be better than having a bunch of guys on the web correct you.

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 2:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train MT, boxing and Judo/sub grappling at the Spokane Boxing Club. Just looking for a little additional input is all... You obviously didn't read my second post where I mentioned my boxing coach. Heh.

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 5:47pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been training MT and boxing for? As was previously said, your foot-work could be improved. Once you get the footwork right, then you can move onto the finer points of getting a good jab-cross, where you will eventually get a really good snap. This all takes time to develop of course. Here is an article called "punching with power"
    http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...&id=127&page=5
    read this, go train, ask your instructor for pointers, etc.

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 5:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been training MT and boxing for?
    Couple months, now, though my focus has been on grappling rather than the boxing and MT. So, not very long. This is, of course, not counting when I trained TKD from a "boxing stance." lol

As was previously said, your foot-work could be improved.
    I actually don't use any footwork in this video other than some slight shifting/pivoting of the foot. Nevertheless I am working on it because it does suck.

I am checking out the article...
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast