7/30/2007 2:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kujng fu (general)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Schwarzenegger's Modern Bodybuilding book

I havent got long to write this, so I'll be brief

Sorry if this in the wrong topic

Is this book worth reading if you're looking into gaining strengh?

is it just for bodybuilders?

and is it as good as all the review say it is?

Thanks for your help

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Encyclop...5573441&sr=8-1

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 4:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the book. Most of it is quote good, and is directed at bodybuilders, but is now quite old and I remember reading some inaccuracies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 6:47am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without reading the book or the review I ask why you would get a book about entitled Modern Bodybuilding if your looking for a book on strength. It is probably geared to bodybuilders (hence the name) so would have little infomation of training for strength or athletic endeavours.

There are hundreds of books dealing with the subject of strength specifically so why not read them? Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a good start.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 9:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read it and, like they said, it's what its title says it is. Any parts on strength training are geared towards how it applies to building a better physique.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have it, and love it. It was great for me when I first started out (or first started getting serious about lifting, anyway.) It is geared toward body building, HOWEVER, at a beginner level it is not going to stear you wrong, and it does spend some time discussing lifting for other purposes, from strength to general fitness. It also has an awesome section detailing with pictures how to do a ton of lifts and what muscle groups they target.

Get it. You can find it for, like, 10$ on amazon.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    I have it, and love it. It was great for me when I first started out (or first started getting serious about lifting, anyway.) It is geared toward body building, HOWEVER, at a beginner level it is not going to stear you wrong, and it does spend some time discussing lifting for other purposes, from strength to general fitness. It also has an awesome section detailing with pictures how to do a ton of lifts and what muscle groups they target.

Get it. You can find it for, like, 10$ on amazon.
    Good book for a beginner looking to gain strenght. Another good book is "Explosive Lifting for Sports" ($21.00) I would get both and use them if I were you.

There is plenty of stuff out there, but I rather not mention any. Otherwise, you'll have a lot of good stuff but no time to go over them. These two books should give you an start. If you are completely new to lifting, and if you follow it diligently (and eat well and stuff), the Gubernator's book should serve you well for a year. If you also use the book on explosive lifting, you'll be ahead as well.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 2:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must have an older release because my cover looks different, but it's solid with descriptions and pictures. Good to have to help discern what's good and what's not from most of those 'roid routines found in those muscle mags.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 5:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kujng fu (general)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks very much indeed for the feedback chaps.

Exactly the info I was looking for.

Im trying to get into the firebrigade next year so reading up on gaining strengh is a nessesity - but also I wanna look buff so i can get a few more shags in and im just recently getting into training with weights so this sounds brilliant - also becuase its arnie, it'll undoubedly by a good read.

I'll check out that other book and all, El Macho dont you worry :D