Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 8:32pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Human Weapon - Escrima Episode

Sorry, didn't see it and I know nothing of the style, but there is a Muay Thai thread, so I thought there should be one for this too.

Who has seen it? Any good?

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 9:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw the episode on Escrima and found it to be very interesting. I have never practiced any FMA's but I find them to be very interesting. There should be some reruns on the History channel about it. I enjoyed this episode even more than the Muay Thai one, but that could be because I've watched other documentaries on Muay Thai in the past and it wasn't all that much new.

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 11:23pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fight at the end was much more impressive this time around.

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 2:14am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While it wasn't BAD, I personally didn't find it too impressive.

They seem to focus more on a single 'technique' to try to use instead of focusing on the basics.

For instance, they made no mention at all about FMA's triangular footwork, which is probably one of the most defining and important aspects of the art.

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 7:05am

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly. No time was spent on drilling triangles. Which is surprising seeing as how they were with GT Gaje. The PTK guys should be able to attest about his love of drilling footwork. I was very happy to see them refer to the Filipino troops during WWII. Although it was a little sad not to see any references to Dog Brothers or the Stockton community especially in light of the teachers they interviewed.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most likely the blasphemic TV producers edited the episode to remove the "boring" stuff and make it more palatable to the brainless herd animals... err... audience. No one want to see them doing footwork. They want to see people wacking each other with sticks.

You guys have to remember these are not intended to be documentaries. These are "edutaiment" shows. Hopefully I can watch the re-run for this episode.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 7:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand the reasons, I just hate that they didn't even get a blurb or passing shot of it. It would be like doing a show on freestyle wrestling and not showing a double leg or a sprawl. BTW Question, are you going to the Balicki seminar?

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was pretty cool. I liked the sparring. I was impressed by the competition aspect, including the one with the masks and padded jackets. The fight at the end with the padded metal rods was also badass. I must admit to being a bit "TUF noobish" when it comes to Escrima. I actually thought the dog brothers were doing something new...

Some of the disarms and throws seemed a bit unrealistic though. Elaborate set-ups and multi strike/movement followups where the always compliant opponent just stands there. Although, a disarm was pulled off in the final fight, so...

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 12:26pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kept getting the feeling that Jason Chambers could have just taken the guy down and gone for the GnP. I would have much rather seen them fight some of the Dog Brothers.

I understand that they are fighting/sparring the way the art practices... but does that mean that if they did a TKD episode, when Bill loses against a flippy-spin kick in a point sparring match that they'll say the guy was the uber-deadly? Would they simply have them do chi-sao and then say, "Wow, that guy with 20 years beat me in chi-sao. It must be the deadly"?

Dagon

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 12:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference being, a kick to your hand in TKD competition won't usually break your finger. That said, they are working within the rules of the art, which is why he didn't shoot in on the thai boxer in the previous episode. Also he was at a Doce Pares event. I can't speak from experience but the PTK guys I know as well as the I/L groups I have worked with believe in dumog(wrestling) as an integral part of the art and their sparring, unless specifically working a range like largo mano, reflects this.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast