Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:32pm

Style: Taekwondo/Jujistu/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is the correct form of the arms when punching?

I hope this hasnt been posted before but it probably has. I even used the search function but I couldnt find the exact question I have.

Anyway I am wondering which is the best way to punch. Should the arn extend all the way and let the shoulders turn making your torso a little sideways when punching to get extra reach and power? Or should you keep your torso facing forward when punching so you dont extand the entire arm and make your torso turn sideways in order to keep better defense?

Or are both correct or is the best way somewhere in between?

Seems pushing the shoulder out gives you more reach and power but might expose more of you. Keeping your torso inward seems to make the power less yet defends better.

These punches are from both jabs and crosses. Straight punches.

What do you expert boxers think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:43pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on the situation.

But, for the most part you want to punch and turn your hips with it, it'll generate more power, and doesn't expose much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tao
    Depends on the situation.

But, for the most part you want to punch and turn your hips with it, it'll generate more power, and doesn't expose much.
    Okay. Maybe turning the hips is what I meant to say. When you turn the hips your entire body turns sideways during the punch. Should a jab be like that? The cross seems like I could do it turning the hips whiles till being forward.

Shold I work on turning the hips while not extending the shoulders and turning with them? Like only turn the hips and punch?

Also how important is punching off the heal or flat footed? One guy was really telling me I needed to punch from the heal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 12:16am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A jab is not a knockout punch. It is used as a setup for a cross or hook. Also depends on what style of punching you want to do.

Boxing or karate or what?

I know in karate we do the jab or forward punch with a strong hip rotation to get as much power and extension out of it.

Now I'm no expert on boxing but from what I have seen they do also use hip rotation to a lesser degree but still go for full extension. There again it may have been just the boxers I have seen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 12:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkarate
    A jab is not a knockout punch. It is used as a setup for a cross or hook. Also depends on what style of punching you want to do.

Boxing or karate or what?

I know in karate we do the jab or forward punch with a strong hip rotation to get as much power and extension out of it.

Now I'm no expert on boxing but from what I have seen they do also use hip rotation to a lesser degree but still go for full extension. There again it may have been just the boxers I have seen.
    Well Karate punching during practice or kata isnt really the way you would fight in a real situation. You would probably adapt to a more boxer style with your Karate then just going "KIA!" with a chambered fist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 12:30am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who the hell fights with a chambered fist?

There have been quite a few times that in sparring I have seen people doing a forward punch to much success, but as I said its not a knockout strike. Good to use if going to follow up with a kick though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 2:38am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenTKDStrikes!

Anyway I am wondering which is the best way to punch.
    Probably the best thing to do is go to a boxing gym and learn a little bit. Unless you're not interested in boxing style punching (which is madness I tell you, madness!).

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 7:36am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [Mandatory Asshole Mode ON]

LOL! How Do Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhenTKDStrikes!
    Anyway I am wondering which is the best way to punch.
    With your fists.

Should the arn extend all the way and let the shoulders turn making your torso a little sideways when punching to get extra reach and power?
    Your torso should always be a little sideways whether you're punching or not. In Muay Thai, the torso is 45 deg facing your opponent. In boxing, even more, almost side facing but not totally.

Or should you keep your torso facing forward when punching so you dont extand the entire arm and make your torso turn sideways in order to keep better defense?
    How does having your torso facing forward give you better defense? You make your body a sitting duck for teeps, front kicks to the stomach, right cross to stomach, spinning back kick, etc.

Or are both correct or is the best way somewhere in between?
    In MT, I'm taught to punch and turn my body slightly for jabs. I'm not really concentrating on body rotation, but on stepping in and on bringing my shoulder up to chin. My body does turn.

In boxing, I'm told not to move my body when I jab. But the boxing stance is already almost side facing, so there's nothing really more to rotate when you jab.

You definitely need to rotate everything from the ball of your rear foot to your hips to your shoulders when doing the cross.

The power for the jab doesn't come from rotation, if you want to power jab, step forwards and land the jab before your foot touches the floor.

Seems pushing the shoulder out gives you more reach and power but might expose more of you. Keeping your torso inward seems to make the power less yet defends better.
    I don't understand why you say that. As long as your shoulder is up, and your chin down, you're well protected.

What do you mean keep the torso inward?

Are you a beginner belt in TKD and still doing punches from the waist from horse riding stance?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 7:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use your footwork, that is foot position because you should be grounded when you strike to begin power generation, by twisting the hips into them. This in turn begins movement through your torsoe, which is the largest mass you have. Now if you tranfere the energy in that mass to a smaller mass, the arm, it effectively gets flung away from the larger mass at great speed. Timing is essential not only to reduce telegraphing, but to optimise the energy being generated from the hips, through to the ground and back up again. Being relaxed and trying to get that hand to move as fast as possible is what it's all about. If you can tense up your whole body right on impact, that's good too.

Hooks and uppers are a bit different for me because I'm about 230lbs at 5'9". I use a lotta hip and leg in it to make the most of momentum and mass. As a result my arm tends not to move much in relation to my torsoe and is quite tense.

With a bit of tweaking, a left jab can be turned into a straight left, or left jolt as described by Jack Dempsey, which can be almost as powerful as a right cross. A friend of mine who likes a scrap now and then uses this is his prefered openner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 12:38pm

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Turning into the shot depends on how much power you are trying to generate, so it depends on what you are trying to do. I find a lot of people generate WAY too much power with their punches. It's better to hit someone with a softer, less obvious punch, than to miss with a huge kockout shot.

Try not to ever extend your arms to their full reach. You want your punches to snap in and out quickly. straight punches should go straight in and out. Personally I like to keep my hands pretty far out (as in right in his face if I can) because it shortens the distance my shots have to go, and makes it a million times easier to block because my arms are already in the way of his punches.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast