Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 3:20am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenTKDStrikes!
    One guy who does boxing told me that most boxers stand really wide and are forward facing more than a kickboxer would be. So I figured with punching only a sideways stance would leave parts of your face open or something.
    When he said wide, he's probably referring to the distance of the front foot from the back foot, not the distance between the left and right feet.

If he says boxers are more forward facing than a kickboxer, it depends on what type of kickboxer he's referring to. Slappy foot american kickboxing, san shou or muay thai? I think you shouldn't listen too much to this friend, sounds like he's feeding you bollocks.

The proper boxing stance looks something like this:
    - assuming you're right handed, your left foot is forward, and your toes point 45 degrees off to the right.
    - draw a straight line down from the toe of your front left foot, your back right heel should be touching the line, your back toes should also be pointing 45 degrees or more to the right.
    - your back leg should form an almost straight line with your torso when viewed from the side. Your hands are tight against your body covering your ribs and your fists held at cheek level.

No I am not a begginer TKD belt. I just want to get my punches better and the correct form.
    Unfortunately, the only way to do this is to get proper instruction. Can't be done from watching videos or talking to people on the internet.

Thanks for your help and explaining the stances better. It makes sense and I dont think you were too much of an asshole about it either.
    Well, at least I tried (to be an asshole).

I was debating with someone about whether standing more completely sideways is better. but from what you say it seems standing sideways but not totally sideways is the better way.
    When you say better, you have to be clear, better for what?

For pure boxing, having an almost sideways stance is good as your torso targets are hidden or well covered.

If you fight sideways in kickboxing, your front leg will be fodder for leg kicks and it makes it hard for you to check kicks. It also takes a long time to throw rear leg roundhouse kicks. Your back is also open, and unlike in TKD where the back is not a valid target, in full contact kickboxing a shin kick to the lower back/kidneys will still take it's toll.

In muay thai, a compromise is reached, so you stand forward facing, but slant your torso 45 degrees so you present less of a target for straight line attacks.

If you fight sideways in MMA, you're very easy to take down. In MMA you stand in a sprinter's stance (both toes point forward) and your hips are square to your opponent so it's easy for you to sprawl.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 9:47am

Style: Taekwondo/Jujistu/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MMA stance is practically facing forward??? That is what I thought once. An MMA guy who is pretty good told me to stand forward like that when fighting, then this hapkido guy tells me to always stand sideways, and then the boxer guy was saying how boxers are wider etc...wow.

I will just go with the MMA stance since it seems more practical to watch out for everything. But shouldnt the torso somehow be sideways a little at all?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 11:02am

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I fight someone I am always square to them as much as possible. If you turn to the side fighting the wrong person you are going to give up your back.

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:47pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenTKDStrikes!

I will just go with the MMA stance since it seems more practical to watch out for everything. But shouldnt the torso somehow be sideways a little at all?
    The more your torso turns, the more you'll be susceptible to takedowns.

And btw, standing with your hips square is not going to save you from takedowns. You have to learn how to sprawl and do it like a hundred thousand times to do that.

Really, just go to a proper fight school. You're just going to build bad habits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 9:05am

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need a boxing coach:biblethum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123