Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 1:18pm

Style: Mixed Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was looking at a video of myself kickboxing yesterday - one thing I noticed was that unless I was thinking about it, my elbows were too far off of my body - inviting front round kicks to my ribs.

Consider that my boxing tip for the day - make sure your elbows are in tight to protect your ribs, liver, ect.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 2:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point about using short sharp punchs, only going for the big ones when they're properly set up for it. It's actually the best way to use a heavy bag too. Work your combos snappy and fast.
    One boxing instructor told be to 'hit the heavy bags light and the light bags heavy'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 4:36pm

Style: Taekwondo/Jujistu/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword
    Probably the best thing to do is go to a boxing gym and learn a little bit. Unless you're not interested in boxing style punching (which is madness I tell you, madness!).
    Ya I dont have enough money and the boxing gym is far away. I know a guy who does to the boxing gym and I ask him questions about it but he is also a begginer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    [Mandatory Asshole Mode ON]

LOL! How Do Box!!

With your fists.

Your torso should always be a little sideways whether you're punching or not. In Muay Thai, the torso is 45 deg facing your opponent. In boxing, even more, almost side facing but not totally.

How does having your torso facing forward give you better defense? You make your body a sitting duck for teeps, front kicks to the stomach, right cross to stomach, spinning back kick, etc.

In MT, I'm taught to punch and turn my body slightly for jabs. I'm not really concentrating on body rotation, but on stepping in and on bringing my shoulder up to chin. My body does turn.

In boxing, I'm told not to move my body when I jab. But the boxing stance is already almost side facing, so there's nothing really more to rotate when you jab.

You definitely need to rotate everything from the ball of your rear foot to your hips to your shoulders when doing the cross.

The power for the jab doesn't come from rotation, if you want to power jab, step forwards and land the jab before your foot touches the floor.

I don't understand why you say that. As long as your shoulder is up, and your chin down, you're well protected.

What do you mean keep the torso inward?

Are you a beginner belt in TKD and still doing punches from the waist from horse riding stance?

Its hard to explain everything in words on the internet. I think you misunderstood some of what I meant or I just sucked at explaining them.

One guy who does boxing told me that most boxers stand really wide and are forward facing more than a kickboxer would be. So I figured with punching only a sideways stance would leave parts of your face open or something.

No I am not a begginer TKD belt. I just want to get my punches better and the correct form.

Thanks for your help and explaining the stances better. It makes sense and I dont think you were too much of an asshole about it either. I was debating with someone about whether standing more completely sideways is better. but from what you say it seems standing sideways but not totally sideways is the better way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 4:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffy
    Turning into the shot depends on how much power you are trying to generate, so it depends on what you are trying to do. I find a lot of people generate WAY too much power with their punches. It's better to hit someone with a softer, less obvious punch, than to miss with a huge kockout shot.

Try not to ever extend your arms to their full reach. You want your punches to snap in and out quickly. straight punches should go straight in and out. Personally I like to keep my hands pretty far out (as in right in his face if I can) because it shortens the distance my shots have to go, and makes it a million times easier to block because my arms are already in the way of his punches.
    Ahh you brought up another issue I was thinking about. How far so I keep my hands out when im standing in the fighting stance. You make some good points. I will practice it and see how it works for me.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango M.F.
    I was looking at a video of myself kickboxing yesterday - one thing I noticed was that unless I was thinking about it, my elbows were too far off of my body - inviting front round kicks to my ribs.

Consider that my boxing tip for the day - make sure your elbows are in tight to protect your ribs, liver, ect.
    The reason for having your elbows down isn't just defensive. If you cock your elbows out you're not lining up your arm with your shoulder properly with your punch, causing you to "arm punch" rather than getting your full body weight behind it.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 9:39pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm told this is a "defensive stance," so you should probably always stand like that when anticipating an attack.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 10:05pm

Style: Eagle Claw/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBoxerShorts

I'm told this is a "defensive stance," so you should probably always stand like that when anticipating an attack.

That can't be a defensive stance, it leaves the entire body prone for a takedown and open to strikes! :qpepsi:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 10:11pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CX1329
    That can't be a defensive stance, it leaves the entire body prone for a takedown and open to strikes! :qpepsi:
    Eh, I'd still do her.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 10:23pm

Style: Eagle Claw/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBoxerShorts
    Eh, I'd still do her.

I want to eagle claw her in 4 very naughty pressure points. :dd:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast