Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by siulumpai
    You're obviously a "hardgainer" (based on original weight of 145 at a height of 6') so you should eat more, be careful about over training, and do cardio only when absolutely necessary. This is all if your goal is to look like a power lifter.
    You mean like this guy?

or this guy?

Yeah, that's a good goal.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 12:10pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i said that wasnt my goal, too bulky for me.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't be a chicken. If you have the genes for it, you'll be bulky. Period. Also, just because other young men your age get bigger than you, that doesn't discount it's not your age that's preventing you from making gains.

Everybody is different. Some teens grow up just vertically, others bulk. Some teens begin to bulk only after they hit their 20's. Others never do. If you have been eating well, sleeping well, and training hard, and you are not seeing further improvements, most likely:

1. it's your age (and you have to wait it out to see if that will change) and/or
    2. you are at a plateau - your training is not hard/smart enough, or you are overtraining.

There can be other factors at play, but to answer your question, yes, people react different to training and dieting.

Quote Originally Posted by SevSB
    Im not trying to look like a powerlifter im just trying to gain some weight and size so i can have more power in MA''s.
    This is retarded. The primary factor for you to have power is not size, but technique. If you are trying to get size to overcome a deficiency, train harder/smarter in MA to overcome the deficiency.

Don't try to delude yourself into thinking a larger size will mask the problem, specially with grappling. You do BJJ, you should know this. There is a natural range of weight (your weight class) in which you will perform optimally. If you can develop enough size to move a weight class or two up, that's fine, but your problems will still remain.

Quote Originally Posted by SevSB
    Still, we really don't know what your goal is. After all, how does a powerlifter looks like? What DO YOU UNDERSTAND as powerlifting? What's powerlifting to you?

In order for us to really understand what you are doing right or wrong, we need to know:

1. what you eat and how often (down to the nitty gritty daily/hourly details, no vague "some nuts at noon and some chicken and stuff at night" crap.)
    2. what exercises you do, how often, how many reps per set, how many sets per workout, etc.
    3. how many rest days you have per week.
    4. what supplements if any you take.
    5. how much you sleep.
    6. what other activities you do (martial arts, work, school, etc.)

Be specific and with details. Tell us precisely what you do on a daily basis and we may be able to help you.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 8/01/2007 12:35pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 12:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of the powerlifters at my high school were huge fat guys, They could just lift a lot of weight.
    Last edited by Neildo; 8/01/2007 12:43pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 4:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To add to El Macho's wisdom and experience: Depending on what your performance goals are, there will be an ideal weight range for you to be at. For me personally (I'm only 5'7") a good fighting weight is around 175. Too much heavier and I've got no stamina, too much lighter and I've got way less strength. Roid free Weights and cardio can alter the picture, but it's ultimately your genes that will decide. If you're genetically gifted (muscle fiber ratios, tendon origins and insertions), you can be very strong without being bulky and fat.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love it.

As if someone who's worried about it ever could achieve that even if they wanted to.

What's more, if they DID look like that, they certainly wouldn't want to lose it.

"Martial artists" have THEE worst case of fitness sour grapes, ever.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 5:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    A lot of the powerlifters at my high school were huge fat guys, They could just lift a lot of weight.
    I assure you they were huge fat muscular guys that could lift a lot of weight. The pictures I posted are of powerlifters that dieted down.
    "Emevas,

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 6:56pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and were still on juice of course!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are dudes who basically look chubby no matter what. There's an old 40-50'ish dude at the gym that from a distance looks, to put it mildly, fucking fat. Big belly. But as you look closer, that big belly is attached to a non-human torso, no neck, basketballs for traps, humungus forearms and fingers ticker than a barbell.

Well, I'm exagerating, but you get the picture. He's just a freakazoid. And he runs. He runs in the treadmills for 30 minutes or so almost everyday, and fast. And lifts... the mofo lifts lots and lots. But the apparent gut still remains, which doesn't stop him from lifting and running faster and stronger than most musclehead pretty boy fabios half his age.

If one gets the looks, the better. But looks alone do not really mean much in many cases.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 7:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic
    ...and were still on juice of course!
    I don't think anyone was contesting the use of steroids here.
    "Emevas,
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast