Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 1:04pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not useless, but high risk. Taking a spinning hook kick full on even with your hands up and chin down is gonna knock you down...

But they are slow and easy to evade. It's relatively easier to counter kicks when all you do is kick. In a looser rule set with punching, the chance of timing a jumping spin hook against and opponent who may punch, kick, knee, take down, etc... is much lower.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:12am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    keep the hands up, I don't care, if you kick hard enough towards the upper part (not the elbow, but the HANDS), the dude is going to feel it. Sometimes you can knock his own hands into his face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:16am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing about those back spinning kicks is that it catches A LOT of over eager people off guard. You won't believe the amount of people in other styles I have sparred with that claim they are taught never to expose their back to an opponent no matter what. When they see you start turning your back, those guys think you are going to run, and they sometimes just get a bit over eager, the killer instincts kick in, and they mistakenly leave their face open.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:25am

Style: TKD, Boxing & SW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was the guy who put my elbows in the way to body shots. even if i didn't win the round, they were the ones limping. there are three tkd kicks that work in real situations, these are skipping side kick, spinning back kick and roundhouse kick.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 5:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, good, I hope Mastachance leaves forever.

Secondly, we are talking pure sport TKD here. Yes, while a spinning hook kick can KTFO someone, it is usually going to have to be thrown at the BEGINNING of the fight as the first attack, while the other guy is standing there talking ****.

Having your hands down does NOT speed up your kicks.

Third, the only reason I am not bashing you guys for the stupid **** you are saying is becuase this could stay a "competition only" kicking thread.

If you guys continue with this "hell yeah keeping my hands down will speed up my awesome kicks for t3h str33t" bullshit, then it will force me to point out the dumbassery that you are all on the verge of.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 4:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhhhhh....keeping your entire upper body loose and relaxed and without tension does enable you to move your hips faster, thus explaining while Olympic TKD relies on evasive footwork rather than blocking, etc.

And I am kinda pissed at NON-KMA posters running KMA practioners off of Bullshido IN THE KMA FORUM.

These are the people we're supposed to be helping. Go back, read the rules of the forum, and either get with the program or post elsewhere.

I will be extending MastaChance a request to return.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 6:43am

Style: AMAI TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    Uhhhhh....keeping your entire upper body loose and relaxed and without tension does enable you to move your hips faster, thus explaining while Olympic TKD relies on evasive footwork rather than blocking, etc.

But is keeping your hands down part of the "loose and relaxed"? I still have a hard time understanding why it is done. I have sparred WTF fighters. Don't try to catch them or get into a kicking game, they are fast. Keep your hands up, let them open up with a kick, close the gap, and punch them before they "chest butt" (alternative to head butt!) you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 7:33am

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack
    I have sparred WTF fighters. Don't try to catch them or get into a kicking game, they are fast. Keep your hands up, let them open up with a kick, close the gap, and punch them before they "chest butt" (alternative to head butt!) you.
    Is that under WTF rules, and how often would that punch score?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 7:57am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread reminds me of the time someone slated Ryan Hall for using inverted guard because "He would just get his head stamped on in a real fight". While that's true, it has no fucking relevance to the point of the thread, same here. It's just a shame that when it comes to BJJ people think that there may be stuff going on they don't understand if they don't do BJJ, when it comes to WTF TKD people assume they already know everything despite never having studied it for a day of their lives.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    I agree with above. Those kicks work, but only under the artificial conditions in which TKDers fight. The same can be said of chi sau, chi sau works exceptionally well against someone who's... trying to chi sau right back. It's worthless against someone who doesn't try to maintain that range, in the same way those kicks are worthless against someone who doesn't lead in with their fucking chin.
    50% of WTF TKD training is learning to control range. No one who is any good at WTF TKD waits for you to stay in any range or maintain that range. WTF TKD fighters will use footwork to enter and exit the kicking range pretty much at will. As a matter of fact if there's only one thing I took away from my WTF training it's the striking footwork.

As far as why the hands are down. Kicking stability and hip torque. See the left arm in the picture below? It's there for stability and helping generate more hip torque. The reason for both hands beind down in WTF TKD is so that you can do kicks instanteneously. If your arm is already in position to generate torque then one step of the kick is already done. Considering that you can't punch to the head and that high kicks are usually telegraphed and seen, it's better to keep your hands low and be able to throw very fast and scoring roundhouses than prepare for the small chance of a high kick that you might be able to see and get out of the way anyway.
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 8/07/2007 8:32am at .
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast