Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 12:20am

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    All you vertical fist people, you don't just abandon the vertical fist for a few punches, try the horizontal on your own, hurt yourself and say "bottom three is obviously empirically better" .
    I was under the impression that no style did not use the horizontal punch AT ALL. Is that what one of the wing chun schools teaches?

Also, rez because I'm interested and didn't want to repost.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 11:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was under the impression that for a Karate punch (I suppose meaning, the hand is rotated, palm down) or a Boxing punch (which is the same thing, or further rotated so the palm faces away from the body) the first two knuckles are better to use. I've found that in my training, at least.

For the bottom three, I think it is better for a vertical punch, meaning that the hand is such that the palm is facing the centerline of your body.

This is only from my experience, the only evidence I have is Jack Dempsey and Bruce Lee, both of which advocated this type of straight punch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 3:15pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My early FMA training, we didn't use the fist a whole lot, more of open hand strikes. We did have to toughen the hands, knuckles and ridges to be be able to strike. Lots of hitting sand, bags, and concrete blocks just to get the hands tougher. Going into WC the vertical fist, you used the top 2 as well as the bottom 3, depending on how much force you wanted to exert with your punch. The fist delivered the punch, it just the angle of delivery that varies. Main point of impact varies unless your knuckles are fairly flat across the stricking area. Doing boxing or kickboxing, the punch is delivered with the palm down and the 1st 2 knuckles primarily doing the damage. You can angle your wrist where you can hit w/ the the last 3 knuckles. Everyone has their own way of punching, its all up to what you're used to doing ....

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i guess i'm a weirdo for trying to drive my whole fucking fist through whatever i'm punching

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 11:29pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    wow.

the "three knuckle" method will fracture your 5th metacarpal (voice of experience)
    We teach the "2 knuckle" method with that as one of the reasons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2008 2:07am

Style: TKD, Boxing & SW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow.

the "three knuckle" method will fracture your 5th metacarpal (voice of experience)
    Which is exactly why Jack Dempsey and Floyd Mayweather Jr advocate three knuckle method. Oh wait, thats the one your against.

Posted On:
    5/03/2008 7:06am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really a great debate. Top two knuckles or you break your hand throwing a hook punch. Matter solved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2008 4:33pm

Style: TKD, Boxing & SW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or lern2firearm.

Yeah, though, in regards to jack dempsey and floyd mayweather jr advocating a certain style...good for them.

However, some very, very intelligent people have been very, very wrong about stuff...

lol flat earth.
    It was a lapse of technique on your part, you never hit with the little finger first, that does break your hand. Besides, when you hit with two knuckles your very likely to break your hand since there is less are to absorb the impact of the blast. Also, your wrist is more stable if you throw with your last three knuckles making it less likely for you to break your wrist.

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 9:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****, this again.

People have been KOed by either punch, by fighters who didn't noticeably damage their hands doing so. Same goes for vertical versus horizontal punches. Both can do the job, neither necessarily needs to be damaging to the striker, depending on the conditioning regimen involved.

As for which setup is more "in line with your wrist", if you lead with the first two knuckles, they are more in line with your wrist. If you lead with the others, they are.

Since the only knuckle everyone can agree on is the middle one, just lead with that. That way, it'll be 'in line with your wrist', and if things go awry, you've only fucked that one up...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2008 5:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer the three knuckle method for several reasons,aside from the arguments already mentioned like feeling more natural when striking the heavy bag.
    There are two reasons that stuck out to me.

1.its common knowledge to most strikers that the more joints you can bring into play during a strike, the more power you will generate.When you use the two knuckle method your arm is stiff from the elbow to the tip of the fist, denying you that last snap of the wrist joint and the power that comes with it.

2.This idea was brought to my attention by a good friend of mine thats in the army.
    He said that the military was more partial to either the three knuckle method or palm strikes.
    The reason being that while in combat or on the streets any thing that could injure your trigger finger was a cardinal sin.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345