Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 11:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon
    How in the world could you punch with your bottom 3 knuckles?
    Pretty hard, apparently.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFHAFNTjcSE

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 12:39pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WestonE123
    I have to admit I'm surprised at most of the replies here. A lot of people w good credibility are advocating two knuckle.

For me personally, I go bottom three. Whenever I accidentally hit a bag with the top two knuckles it fucks up my wrist. Never have any problems at all with the bottom three.

From what I understand the two knuckle thing was developed in Karate and the logic behind it kind of shaky. Something about being able to target your opponent like crosshairs between the first two knuckles....

:bsflag:

Of course there was the alignment and surface area thing. Buts it probably boils down to training your fists to be at the right angle for you and the way you throw your punches. I admittedly don't have much practice striking with the top two and I am sure there is some small yet subtle technique to it that I am missing.

But for instance, maybe 3 knuckles is better and more natural for vertical punches. Perhaps two knuckles were adopted because they have more "cutting potential", something that fighters have tried to maximize by using twisting horizontal punches since the advent of thick gloves. The top two knuckles are pointier...

I realize that theorizing can be the opposite of fighting BS, so maybe someone with more experience could pitch in.
    OK so two knuckles comes from bare handed karate, but also because of boxing gloves?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only noobs and idiots punch with the bottom 3 intentionally. It's just going to happen that way sometimes, moving target and all, but why the **** would you WANT to ruin your hands like that!?

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 2:25pm

Style: crapp-lawl-ing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Won't go into my personal views on the subject, because it's a dead, rotting horse I refuse to beat. However, I will say the only times I've seen the three-knuckle + vertical punch work relatively well is when the person throwing it has a reach advantage.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 2:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazillian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Odacon its really more natural to me. I know that Karate teaches differently which is why I've developed a suspicion for the two knuckle method. But I was open to both methods until I started hitting a heavy bag.

If you hold the fist against the wall with a straight arm and all your body weight behind it the three knuckles do feel more stable.

Johnny it was just an idea. I know that the style of punching has changed in boxing quite a bit with the increased padding for gloves. Before they would throw straight punches (vertical or horizontal) but when they started wearing gloves trainers noticed guys weren't cutting so they began advocating a twisting punch) To me it seems that the top two knuckles would be better for opening cuts through a padded surface. Yes I am suggesting that two identical revelations could happen on two different sides of the Earth for different reasons. When you look at the very limited number of options... (2 vs. 3) its not surprising.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 3:12pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Only noobs and idiots punch with the bottom 3 intentionally. It's just going to happen that way sometimes, moving target and all, but why the **** would you WANT to ruin your hands like that!?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 3:18pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ysc87
    Won't go into my personal views on the subject, because it's a dead, rotting horse I refuse to beat. However, I will say the only times I've seen the three-knuckle + vertical punch work relatively well is when the person throwing it has a reach advantage.
    Just so we're clear, I never specifically said "plus vertical punch". From doing FMA I believe that punch is merely derived from someone holding their weapon and punching. So in my mind it's kind of silly to do that without a weapon, IMHO.

Anyways if you can give a solid basis behind your personal views then I'm all ears. For example, I liked that first post that was given with the picture of the hand's anatomy to help illustrate their arguement. Things like that help encourage a positive and healthy discourse.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 6:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to be clear, here, how many people have you KO'ed with the 3 knuckle punch? How many times have you landed it square on a hard surface (ie skull) with no ill effects? Why would you make a thread about punching with a stick in your hand, but then not mention that THAT was what it was about until now?

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 7:07pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Only noobs and idiots punch with the bottom 3 intentionally.
    Jack Dempsey.

It's just going to happen that way sometimes, moving target and all, but why the **** would you WANT to ruin your hands like that!?
    Proof?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 7:07pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most actual boxers don't worry about which knuckles they hit with because their hands are almost always wrapped.

I don't care how your hand feels when you lean against the wall - unless your anatomy is different from everyone else on the planet, your bottom 3 knuckles float and your top two are attached to your carpals directly. There can be precious little doubt that the structure of the top two is more sound.

I, personally, can't make contact with my bottom 3 knuckles without cocking out my pinky - I can hit with the middle two sometimes, or even the top three, but the bottom three requires me to go out of my way to put my hands in a weird position.

Edit: Jesus christ you guys, can we chill out just a tiny bit with the "One guy in all of history did it" arguments and the "OLOL BURDAN OF PROOFS" arguments? Can we just head those off?
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 7/28/2007 7:09pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast