233574 Bullies, 3476 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Money and its Affects on the Martial Arts

Lately I have been doing some thinking. We have heard about people who have claimed to have nearly superhuman powers. We have heard of people who have claimed to be able to knock people out with a single "death touch". We have heard people who claimed to have the proverbial magic bullet in the martial arts. In every case, they were frauds. But why did these people tell these lies. What drove them to become Martial Arts Frauds. Were they compensating for something? Did their parents not love them enough? Did they crave attention?

In this day and age, people are afraid for their safety. People hear about brutal muggings in the street, deadly home invasions, school shootings, armed robberies, terrorist attacks and other things which scare them senseless. In this apparently dangerous world, they seek to be safe. But like most people they don't want to hit the gym and train. They want to make themselves safe without having to work at it. They would love it if there was a magic bullet that could keep them safe. It is this general attitude that people have about their safety that truly fosters martial arts fraud in the world.

It is in my opinion that most of the frauds are not in it for the attention, but they are in it to make money. Their wild claims that they can do such superhuman feats enamor people. For one reason or another people hear about people who can do the "death touch" or launch "balls of chi" and they start fantasizing about what they could do with such powers. In the process, they totally forget that such claims fly in the face of science. They forget to consider the thin line that separates fantasy and reality. All they know is that they are going to go to the guy, and pay a fortune to be taught how to be some kind of human stun gun.

People like Dillman know that people are stupid. People like Dillman know that people thirst for a way to get stronger without working. Some of these frauds perhaps know that the are not telling the truth. They don't care. They are making money and thats all that counts. Granted, there are those few wackos that genuinely believe that they "have the power" but in my opinion, these people are only a small subset of the martial arts frauds out there.

I hope this brief introspection has been an informative read for you and I welcome any comments you may have.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 6:47am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can knock someone out with a single touch of a taser

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 9:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm, I have this really long stick. If I paint it black it becomes this invisible ninja stealth weapon(tm). I think I'm going to become rich!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2007 9:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: leading with my chin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm more interested in why people have become so stupid in a subject as fundamental as self-defense. I've said it in other threads, but I think it has a lot to do with our cartoony conception of violence. We have these ridiculously elaborate rituals of violence in movies, sports etc. and at the same time we try to shield everyone around us from the slightest hint of real violence, whether they want to be shielded or not. We let our kids watch transformers and dragonball z and thendon't want to let them roughhouse.

I say let them play ninja when they're 10 and they won't have any illusions about how much being punched hurts OR about how hard it is to actually knock someone out. But hell, we won't even let our dogs bark at each other in the park anymore.