Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:10am

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Competitive Fighters.

I'm interested in talking to people who have competed or are competing in some kind of competitive fighting. Just interested to hear what your experiences have been. I would really appreciate any information you can give me.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Several pple have been competitive for years and have a lot of information so it would probably help if you had more specific questions.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of fighting did you do? Muay Thai/kickboxing/MMA? Where did you do it (ie what country state etc)? What kind of rules were there? How did you register, and did it cost money? If you won did you make money? If so how much? How badly did you get hurt(if at all)?

Most importantly, how was your experience competing? Did you enjoy it? Is it something you will continue to do?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:49am

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only competed in MMA twice, 1-1. Losing sucked, it was very frustrating. All i could think about was what i should have done differently. It sounds cliche, but it did make me a lot better. Winning felt great, the whole experience was pretty strange. It felt kind of like a dream, i just remember doing and not thinking. Was a lot more fun than point karate, that's certain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 10:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh one other big question I have is how long did you train before you competed, and in what? Also what did you do to get in shape before the fight?

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 10:27am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1-1 in MMA

I am not super-athletic or particularly talented. I just wanted to get in there and try. I trained MMA specifically for about a year before I competed.

Losing sucks. But it will happen. Just try to put on a good show. Winning is awesome.

I suffered a broken nose, torn trapezius and 4 facial staples to reattach the skin of my left orbital after my first fight. Otherwise I'm pretty injury free.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 10:30am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of fighting did you do?
    MuayThai

Where did you do it (ie what country state etc)?
    I have fought in PA, NY, DC & VA

What kind of rules were there?
    They were all "modified" MuayThai rules. No elbows or knees were allowed to the head. Most of my matches were 3x 2-min rounds, though I was able to get in a few 5 rounders. Most of the time I was required to wear headgear & shinpads, but I did have a couple of fights where I was allowed not to.

How did you register, and did it cost money?
    When I first started fighting in the 90's, the registration fee used to be around $30 per event. In recent years, each sanctioning body will charge you approximately the same amount ($30), but its a yearly registraion rather than a "per event" registration. Then there are some events that despite your yearly registration, there is an additional fee to participate, such as the "National Championship" tournaments these organizations hold.

Apart from that, there is the cost of training and travel, which can add up to a considerable amount, especially when we're full time students with part time jobs.....

If you won did you make money? If so how much?
    No. I never ended up fighting professionally. However, I know some pro fighters who fight and are not paid. They are instead compensated by having all expenses paid trips to the event, including travel, lodging, and meals.

For professional fighters, there are different payment structures, but I know of pro's fighting for as little as $100, though I'd venture to guess the average payout for a low-level pro is about $300 per fight.

How badly did you get hurt(if at all)?
    This is real subjective. In the fights themselves, the worst injury I received was damaged rib cartilage. It was real hard to breathe when the adrenalin wore off after the fight. My other bad injury was a pulled/strained scolios (sp?) which is the muscle group deep in the lower back of your calf, near where the achilles tendon attaches to the heel.

However, I have TONS of lingering "little" injuries from my years of training and fighting. I have occassional flare-ups of TMJ disorder, a deviated septum, a damaged rotator cuff, both of my hands are wrecked and likely to be arthritic in the coming years, I have a screwed up right hip and both of my ankles are so screwed up that I need to wear a pair of ankle supports on each ankle when I work out to prevent reinjuring the area. Luckily, I have no problems with my knees!

Most importantly, how was your experience competing? Did you enjoy it?
    HELL YES! I would not trade my collective experiences/memories for anything in the world!

Is it something you will continue to do?
    No. I'm now 37 years old and I'm done. I've finally accepted the fact that I will never again be the fighter I was and am instead focusing my energy on helping bring the younger generation along as both a coach and as a promoter.

SHAMELESS PLUG:

My next MuayThai & SanDa Smoker event will be held on Saturday, September 15th in Sterling, VA! Visit http://khunkao.com/Promotions.html for updates!
    Last edited by Khun Kao; 7/27/2007 10:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 10:34am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh one other big question I have is how long did you train before you competed, and in what? Also what did you do to get in shape before the fight?
    I only had 6 months of MuayThai training prior to my 1st fight, but I had about 3 or 4 years of total martial arts (Karate & Ninjutsu) experience at that time.

If you are serious about fighting, then you need to be in the very best shape of your life!!!! Far too many people underestimate the level of conditioning it takes to be successful in the ring. This is why sports polls (SI, ESPN, etc) consistently rank Boxing & other combat sports as the most physically demanding and their participants as the most well-conditioned athletes in the world.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 10:45am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .....Blah...

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 1:45pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    STFU YOU DO KUNG-FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

asdfjkl
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast