218277 Bullies, 7601 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsTagger First Class

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 12:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    For example, when I catch someone with a clean roundhouse across their face, I am always saying "geez sorry are you ok?"
    Please don't be that guy. That's so annoying. I've trained with people like that, and you're not doing your training partner any favors. When I spar, I accept the fact that it's going to hurt sometimes. Even if it's light sparring, I know I'm going to get nailed hard sometimes. It's just the way it is. Getting hit and fighting through pain is part of training. Unless you're a cocksucker, your partners will know if you hit them harder than you should for the level of sparring you're doing, that it was unintentional. Enough with the are you okays and the oops, sorries.

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 12:35pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecks
    I have the same problem. It really depends on who you are as a person. When I spar, it's always against someone I know, so I completely understand the inhibitions with sparring. By your description, you mentioned you don't like slugging it out... are you a range fighter or more clinch inclined? If you're not a range fighter, you should probably take some time to get comfortable with slugging. You'll learn that getting hit doesn't really hurt, and if you do get tagged, your partner will lay off. It's almost like a trust thing.

Have you had any fights, or sparred against unfamiliar people? When that happens, is it the same situation? I've found that this problem totally disappeared when I sparred at other clubs. I would hit hard and to "kill", without any hesitation.

Just remember, there's a fine line between "fight" and "spar". Throw all your punches, at least 80%. If one sneaks through and clocks them, lay off, but if they don't, keep throwing. The only thing that will fix this is time. Keep sparring, eventually you will reach a comfort level.
    I would describe myself as more of a range fighter. I am about 6"2 or 6"3, and have cut down to 190, so my reach is almost always well in my favor, but I am not so fragile that I should be afraid of slugging it out in guard. I just get used to the control I have when moving in on the opponent from range, and to get into their guard makes my chin more vulnerable, ergo I tend to stay out of there as a matter of comfort. This is probably something I just need to work on and get more comfortable with.

No, I have not had any fights or sparred people not from my club. I wouldn't mind doing some sparring with people from outside my gym, but I am not sure how to set that up.

Thanks for the advice people... I resolve that the next time I spar, I will stop being such a pansy, and just go in and beat the **** out of them (within reason of course).

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 1:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was training for BST2, the instructor (7th dan okinawan karate) was trying to show me a headlock escape. he had it on, and said "okay, now hit me."

That dude was old. Like late 60's. The guy wanted my to hit him in a pressure point to do this headlock escape i've already done in high school a thousand times. i really didn't want to give the old man a charlie horse...so i went through the motions but without actually hitting him.

he got pissed. "no, hit me!" I'm like; "dude, i'm not gonna hit you. i get it, i know the escape. can we continue?"

him: "not until you hit me!"

me: "this ain't real enough!"

him: "you want real"

Suddenly i was in a genuine headlock, and i started feeling faint. so i did what he wanted and charlie horsed the old bastard.

Finally, he let go. "That's better!" he says, before limping off while obviously trying to hide it.

I did feel a bit guilty.

I also broke some dudes nose during the training, but i told him it was coming so i didn't feel bad about that at all.
    Last edited by Neildo; 7/27/2007 1:21pm at .

Infidel

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 1:48pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am always scared about hurting the guy or looking like an asshole (this is more of a problem with people who are less experienced than me, but it happens with people who can kick my ass too). For example, when I catch someone with a clean roundhouse across their face, I am always saying "geez sorry are you ok?" (I sound like a total homo, I know).
    Here is where I sound like an Aikido hippie.
    I don't see a problem with this really.
    I see it as a sign of respect. Someone is lending you their body (sorta) to train with. Their saying I trust you and willing to suffer pain so you can become better (and vice versa).

If you DO hurt someone I don't see why it's bad to say hey you okay? You keep things friendly and after class you can grab some drinks and discuss what can be done better next time.

That said if your training with someone and not fighting to YOUR fullest ability then you're NOT helping them train to their fullest extent and you're wasting your time and theirs.

Help them learn by making them work for it. Don't be afraid to hurt them cause people learn from pain. If and when you do hurt them have the respect to make sure they know you're training and not being an asshole.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 3:50pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Get over it, don't cheat your training partners just because your daddy hugged you too much. Go train.
    But don't be a sparring spazz asshole!!!!

It's called sparring for a reason. If it were meant to be real it would be called fighting. My trainers were worried that I wouldn't fight well because I did go easy during sparring. Until my first fight that is and they figured out I knew the difference. Sparring is the best tool we have to gauge our ability before a fight. So it is important to do it seriously, but within reason. Yes you want to go as hard as is reasonable yet you don't want to go 100% and hurt the people you train with. I have run into exactly what you are saying if a few guys that came to train with us. And I took it more as smugness. Like I couldn't handle their awesome power or something. Facts are you and your sparring partner are the of your own will, and hopefully understand what could possibly happen. Fire off on a guy once if he takes it in stride and returns the favor then you know your good. If the guy says "what the **** mongo... take it down a notch" then you may be going a bit too hard. Here's a helpfull secret. I spar with guys better than me so they expect me to go all out in order to keep up. The only time I seriously meter my performance is when I am training with noobies.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 3:59pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tabwyo
    But don't be a sparring spazz asshole!!!!

It's called sparring for a reason. If it were meant to be real it would be called fighting. My trainers were worried that I wouldn't fight well because I did go easy during sparring. Until my first fight that is and they figured out I knew the difference. Sparring is the best tool we have to gauge our ability before a fight. So it is important to do it seriously, but within reason. Yes you want to go as hard as is reasonable yet you don't want to go 100% and hurt the people you train with. I have run into exactly what you are saying if a few guys that came to train with us. And I took it more as smugness. Like I couldn't handle their awesome power or something. Facts are you and your sparring partner are the of your own will, and hopefully understand what could possibly happen. Fire off on a guy once if he takes it in stride and returns the favor then you know your good. If the guy says "what the **** mongo... take it down a notch" then you may be going a bit too hard. Here's a helpfull secret. I spar with guys better than me so they expect me to go all out in order to keep up. The only time I seriously meter my performance is when I am training with noobies.
    Well it goes without saying that you don't go 100%. Granted, you proved you knew what you were doing when you went into a fight, but I think that is the exception. It is far more likely that if someone doen't spar properly, they will be unprepared for what awaits them in the ring.

I have also found it tough sometimes getting partners who are well above me in ability. My gym is not huge, and it is only a minority of the people who train who actually fight, and even smaller minority in pure kickboxing, and out of that there is maybe 1 or 2 people of a similar height/weight or bigger. I suppose this is the price I pay for living in a smaller city with only one or two decent gyms.
    Last edited by Eldarbong; 7/27/2007 4:12pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 5:34pm

Style: Wrestling/BJJ/Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you learn from your mistakes if you spar and hold back or someone holds back on you it will cost you becasue you wont be used to the aggresion in a real fight. Your paying to learn MT if someone dosent like to get hurt they can do soemthing else its called a contact sport for a reason. As long as your being safe and no emoitions are effecting you in sparing it should be ok. Have you seen the video of wanderli silva and shogun sparing you dont see them hiting each other in the face and then going oh s**t man srry bout that.They train hard but they wont go kneeing each other till they cant walk they no when to draw the line.

STOP POSTING!

Achievements:
    Recommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hate people who stop and say "oh sorry man" and **** all the time. its patronising and ruins the flow. dont be that guy.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 5:41pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I more fell under the "You said you had experience but we really think you are full of it" type deal. And we do get a lot of that. Especially the Street Fighter guys. I mean how many guys walk in off the street with real actual fighting experience vs how many time trainers have heard bullshit war stories and made up fight records???? And it did worry my instructors a bit that I would ask a dude if he was ok after I caught him with a good shot in sparring. Not say sorry so much but to make sure they were OK.

I think the cat needs to get his trainers off to the side and go at it once. To see if:

A) He's this super human badass that will crush your chest with a casual body shot.
    B) He's just timid (and not in a bad way) about hurting people he trains with.
    or
    C) He's just plain timid (and in that respect timid is bad).
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Middleweight

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever done any Muay Thai fights? I think a fight might help you to get over this.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast