Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 2:58am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudClod
    You're basically saying, if you cannot afford top of the line, the hobby is not for you.
    Nope, not what I'm saying at all. I can't afford top-of-the-line equipment either. That's why I buy mid-range stuff like Ringside and Combat Sports, which are pretty good but not the best on the market. Rival Boxing is top-of-the-line. We're talking $130+ for a pair of training gloves. Awesome stuff, but too rich for my blood.

What I'm saying is that if you can't even afford mid-range equipment, then, yeah, this hobby is probably not for you. The low-end stuff isn't really worth buying. Go ahead and get a pair of cheap Everlasts if you must, but when they wear out (and they will, faster than you'd like), you'll wish you paid twice as much for a pair of Combat Sports gloves that would have lasted about ten times longer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 3:00am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    A bruised face/body doesn't bother me.
    Nor does it bother me.

Broken noses, jaws, and cheekbones, on the other hand...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 5:45am

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSDaemon
    I have not had good luck working the bag with my Ouano 5oz MMA gloves... It made for shredded bloody knuckles. I like my 14oz boxing gloves but I really want to get is the 10oz combat sports MMA training glove. None of this stuff is cheap, be prepared to lay down a couple hundred bucks to get a good variety of gloves, shin pads, wraps, etc.

Also don't forget health insurance for when your **** (bones,tendons,ligiments,etc.) inevitably gets ruined.
    OHIP, Free Canadian Insurance :)

@ Thai: When you put it like that... Mid-range equipment does sound like a better deal. If in the long run, I will spend less money on the Mid-range, then that is what I shall get. Thanks for the input :)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 5:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started with 16oz gloves and hand wraps. Mostly because I missed the point of heavy bag work. Over time I removed either the wraps or the gloves, now I can work a bag bare fisted. I dunno if it's good for me, I've had arthritis in parts of me since I was 30, but my hands are pretty tough now.
    If you want to impove power work your technique as much, if not more than just punching a bag as hard as you can. Find some really good boxers and try to emulate what they do. You'll see that they can get a good whack when they want and a good thud when they want.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123