Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 1:31am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use these gloves if I'm not going bare-knuckle on the heavy bag.

They come with a foam insert sew into the center of the palm to help protect the hand (you can see it in the video in the link I've provided, ignore the shitty shadow boxing, LOL. I've taken it out and use them for sparring as well). I rarely use them on the bag as I do a lot of makiwara training as well.

Just another option for ya.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 1:45am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Harbinger = Century, and Century = crap.

And those are most definitely not sparring gloves. If you haven't seriously injured someone yet, Steve, you're going to. The padding is way insufficient for safe sparring. If you want an open-fingered glove that's safe to spar with, you need something like this.

I know of what I speak. I own a pair of the Century version of those gloves, which are exactly the same thing with a different logo. They're crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 3:19am

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ThaiBoxerShorts, my only problem when it comes to making purchases, is my limited budget. I really can't spend over 50 bucks for supplement gloves, especially if I can use my current gloves to atleast some degree of effectiveness... Does anyone know of a relatively cheap, but useable brand?

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 9:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you use the mma training gloves on the bag? I haven't tried them yet but I thought the way they're padded would make it awkward, so I've just been using wraps on my hands.

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 2:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiBoxerShorts
    Harbinger = Century, and Century = crap.

And those are most definitely not sparring gloves.
    DUH, I said that I modified them.

Either I spar barehanded or I use the gloves I own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    DUH, I said that I modified them.

Either I spar barehanded or I use the gloves I own.
    You must spar a lot nicer than we do at my gym. If we went bareknuckled (or in gloves with that little padding), we'd have injuries. Probably lots of them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 10:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudClod
    ThaiBoxerShorts, my only problem when it comes to making purchases, is my limited budget. I really can't spend over 50 bucks for supplement gloves, especially if I can use my current gloves to atleast some degree of effectiveness... Does anyone know of a relatively cheap, but useable brand?
    What we're talking about here is equipment whose function is to protect you and your training partners from potentially serious injury. If you can't afford equipment of sufficient quality to perform that function adequately, you might want to look into a different hobby.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 12:58am

Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What we're talking about here is equipment whose function is to protect you and your training partners from potentially serious injury. If you can't afford equipment of sufficient quality to perform that function adequately, you might want to look into a different hobby.
    Very understandable. But everyone has a budget, while some are bigger than others. You're basically saying, if you cannot afford top of the line, the hobby is not for you. How many people enjoy fishing with the shitty fishing rods they get at wal-mart for 20 bucks? Understandably, the 20 dollar fishing rods are neither safe, or effective... But that does not mean that there is not a superior 20 dollar rod. I'm not attempting to compare a combat sport to fishing in terms of safety... I simply need something that will "do", atleast for now. In the long run, I will obviously purchase better equipment... But it as it this time that I simply ask for suggestions. I realize that shitty equipment is not the way to go... But which shitty equipment will do the least harm?

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 1:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have not had good luck working the bag with my Ouano 5oz MMA gloves... It made for shredded bloody knuckles. I like my 14oz boxing gloves but I really want to get is the 10oz combat sports MMA training glove. None of this stuff is cheap, be prepared to lay down a couple hundred bucks to get a good variety of gloves, shin pads, wraps, etc.

Also don't forget health insurance for when your **** (bones,tendons,ligiments,etc.) inevitably gets ruined.

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 2:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must spar a lot nicer than we do at my gym. If we went bareknuckled (or in gloves with that little padding), we'd have injuries. Probably lots of them.
    A bruised face/body doesn't bother me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast