Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 10:04pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai kick defense question...

I have been scouring Muay Thai sites and Youtube but my google-fu seems to be weak today...

I was trying to describe to someone via email the defense method of scooping the teep and/or round kick but wasn't succeeding very well. I was wondering if anyone has a link to a video clip or pic tutorial that I could forward them?

Hell, even the actual name of the movement so I can search some of the traditional thai sites on my own would help. The only thing kick defense searches yield are the typical shin shields...
    Last edited by hiken; 7/26/2007 10:28pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 12:45am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are several ways to counter a Thai round kick in addition to the shin block. You can evade to the outside, evade to the inside, switch evade, circle out, cut kick, hop kick, teep the body, teep the leg... And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. If you started throwing round kicks at me, I'm sure I'd remember a few more pretty fast.

I don't think I'd try to scoop a round kick, though. Maybe some instructors teach it, but none of mine ever have. I'm just trying to go over the possibilities in my head, and I can see at least three obvious ways that scooping a Thai kick would end very, very badly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 1:03am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.muaythaikickboxingtrainin...k_defence.html

The third tactic is grabbing the weapon which is only used against the middle kick. You would move slightly in the direction of the kick to dissipate the power and as it hits your torso you wrap your arm around the leg and hold it close to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 1:12am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah yes, the cover-and-wrap. One of my favorites. I'm surprised I didn't think of it in my previous post.

I wouldn't describe it as a scoop, but I guess that's just semantics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, the cover-and-wrap isn't what I was talking about...

I remember Ajarn Chai teaching this at a seminar I attended of his, but it was about 10 years back so I am foggy on the name.

Description -

Orthodox stances. Opponenet throws either a lead leg teep or lead leg round kick to the midsection. Push off with the lead foot going back to the left at a 45 angle, and use the lead right hand to scoop down and pass the teep/round kick off to the right letting it pass by. Typical followup was a left round kick to the back of their now exposed thigh.

Maybe it is an obscure defense he was just showing for fun... has always worked well for me in sparring though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:44am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ThaiBoxerShorts is correct, there are literally TONS of ways to defend kicks (teeps & dtaes). Depends on what kind of kick is coming, where it is aimed, and what your own intention is....

AVOID the teep: Sidestep and pivot to 45 degrees so that the teep missed
    AVOID the dtae: Step straight back, switching leads

BLOCK the teep: raise knee forwards to meet the teep (and use elbows the same way)
    BLOCK the dtae: raise knee outwards to meet the shin, combine with elbow block. Elbow block should be to the outside of the raised knee, not the inside.

COUNTER the teep: parry as you sidestep & pivot to 45 degrees, throw a straight punch to their face with the other hand or a round kick to their support leg
    COUNTER the dtae: Teep

That's only scratching the surface!
    Last edited by Khun Kao; 7/27/2007 10:02am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand there a ton of ways to defend the kick, I was just trying to find an example of that specific method that's all...

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao

COUNTER the teep: parry as you sidestep & pivot to 45 degrees, throw a straight punch to their face with the other hand or a round kick to their support leg
    This is I guess as close to what I remember...

Anyone know of any good links that show this via vid clip or pic tutorial so I can pass it along?

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 7:18am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hiken

Orthodox stances. Opponenet throws either a lead leg teep or lead leg round kick to the midsection. Push off with the lead foot going back to the left at a 45 angle, and use the lead right hand to scoop down and pass the teep/round kick off to the right letting it pass by. Typical followup was a left round kick to the back of their now exposed thigh.
    I think I understand what you're asking. There's a lot of info there so I'll break it down.

1) Scooping the teep is a legit technique, only with teeps you don't throw it to the left or right, rather you lift straight up and charge toward your opponent to off-balance him. You can follow up with overhand right, kick his supporting leg or bounce him off the ropes and jump in with a knee.

Pls note that different ajarns teach differently but I haven't come across throwing the teep to the side, unless you're parrying, which is a different move from what you're describing.

2) In the description above, if your opponent is kicking you (roundhouse) with his left leg, and if you want to go for his leg, I think you should right kick his leg. If you wanted the body, you left kick.

How I'm taught is, we don't switch legs. We slide backwards and arch our back to make the kick miss, simultaneously scoop the kick and throw it, followed by a counter kick.

Maybe it is an obscure defense he was just showing for fun... has always worked well for me in sparring though.
    It's not obscure at all, it's used very often in fights. I've used it many times in sparring.

This move mostly happens by chance. The correct technique to apply is actually to step in the direction of the kick and grab his kick and lock it with your elbow. The scoop and throw only happens if you're too far when he's kicking and you can't lock his foot fully.

Posted On:
    7/28/2007 7:24am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, to answer your original quesiton, I don't remember coming across such a clip.