Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:20pm

Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Punching with Dumbells

I'm thinking about getting a set of dumbells and ankle weights and using them to add extra resistence to kicks/punches. I've heard a lot of warnings about this in the past, that it was bad for joints and what not. Has anybody else had experience with this or been able to talk to an MD about this?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Better on a cable machine, if at all.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:28pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Waste of time, basically. Your punching and kicking has more to do with the rotation of the hips, etc. You aren't really punching with just your arm/shoulder, and if you are, your not getting enough force. You will have to "pull" your punches and kicks to prevent hyper extension of the joints. You could use them for a little light shadow boxing for stamina training. You would be much better off with surgical tubing bands. Hit the bag, the speed bag, and make sure you have adequate strength in your wrists and joints. Go to a boxing gym, fi there is one in your area. BTW, Most doctors, if not all, would warn you against doing this. My favorite site for stuff like this is Stadion.com, which has tons of articles on sports training.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:33pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are punching while holding dumbbells or wearing wrist weights you will likely muck up your elbows. There are better things to do to help your punching power, like speed sets of bench press, or speed sets of pushups... Or punching the heavy bag....

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    read this whole page, especially the medicine ball section. it should explain why you don't want to use dumbbells.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing5.htm
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:48pm

Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's basically what I'd heard before, thanks for the links and all.

Kintanon:
    By speed sets of bench press, you mean in addition to normal weight-training rigimen or in place of? And with heavy bag, I've got one of those free-standing bags filled with about 80 or 90 pounds of sand + however much water. Kind of what you mean by heavy?

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do a punching motion with dumbells as part of a shoulder routine. Works great.

Please notice two things, however. First, I said "punching motion" not "punching", because actually punching with dumbells is hard on the joints and generally bad for you. Second, I said, "as part of a shoulder routine" and not as way to work on my punches. Dumbell punching is not a good way to work on punching.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 3:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cshirk

Kintanon:
    By speed sets of bench press, you mean in addition to normal weight-training rigimen or in place of? And with heavy bag, I've got one of those free-standing bags filled with about 80 or 90 pounds of sand + however much water. Kind of what you mean by heavy?
    In addition to your normal weight training regimen. If you look at Sakuraba's workout he does these super super fast short range of motion pushups. Something like that will help you add power to your punching. Explosive motion is where it's at.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 3:54pm

Style: Krav_Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try using resistance bands instead

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/24/2007 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cshirk

Kintanon:
    Avoid free standing bags (specially those made by NEverlast), or those things filled with water. I guess they are better than nothing if you don't have space to have a hanging heavy bag. But if you do, a hanging heavy bag will server you (and last you better.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast