Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 8:42am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Equipoise
    Now I've been told to get a 9mm due the mag capacity and the updated round technology which puts it on par with the 40 and 45's. out there in terms of damage, but less recoil, etc.
    Today's premium hollowpoint technology is the result of millions and millions of dollars in research and development done by these bullet companies. As long as you pick a premium hollowpoint by a reputable manufacturer, then 9 mm Parabellum / .40 / 357 Sig / .45 ACP / 10 mm are all going to do the job, provided that you do your job of placing the shot.

I've also been told to avoid the .40 due to the weird recoil which is an up and back motion versus the push back of the 45 and 9. I don't know how legit that is being that I've never fired a .40 cal anything.
    The .40 and .45 are going to recoil about the same. The .40 will feel a bit sharper, but quicker, while the .45 ACP will feel like a heavier, blunt push. If you're comfortable with your old S&W .45 ACP, then you're going to do fine with either caliber.

So I was looking at the PX4 and the SW M&P. I'm open to other models as well. I'm trying to keep the price in the 450-475 range. Anything cheaper would be a boon. Comments, advice and suggestions are all welcome and encouraged please.
    The S&W MP series is actually pretty good. They really did a much better job of making a Glock clone this time, compared to that awful Sigma series.

Have you considered the Glock 22? It's a full sized .40 pistol, holds 15 rounds, manages recoil very well, and has ironclad reliability. It's the most popular pistol amongst the law enforcement community for a good reason.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 11:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chemistry
    It's the most popular pistol amongst the law enforcement community for a good reason.
    Yeah, it's sold to them the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by cshirk
    Actually, I'm an electronics engineering student. And yes, I'm quite methodical, because I have to be.
    Comp Sci here. Beware my code-fu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 6:48am

Style: Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chemistry
    Have you considered the Glock 22? It's a full sized .40 pistol, holds 15 rounds, manages recoil very well, and has ironclad reliability. It's the most popular pistol amongst the law enforcement community for a good reason.
    Having handled a Glock 22, it's fair. That's the best I'll say for it. It's a good round and all, but the grip is pretty much the same as with the Glock 17...a little too small for my tastes. If you like 9mm grips, but want a heavier caliber, the G22 is definitely the way to go. Like Chemistry pointed out, it also gets the old 15-round mag. Personally, I'm happy with 13 rounds, though. If I need more than that +1 up the pipe +2 reloads something has gone horribly, terribly wrong. Not to mention, I love the grip on the 45, it just fits my hands better.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear
    Comp Sci here. Beware my code-fu.
    Beware my dreaded pull-the-plug fu, or worse still, the dreaded deliberate-surge-generation fu. (We need a maniacle laughter smilie.)

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 12:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ja Kari Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have owned a M & P 9mm for about a year and a half. It is one of the most accurate production guns in its price range I have shot. I use it regularly in competitions and do quite well. I advise heavily against the Sigma. I have shot one with my friend and accuracy, and trigger pull are horrible. Not at all what I would chose as a service gun. However I will say this for it. It would be a good gun to randomly hide somewhere in your house, but just because it is reliable and cheap.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2008 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick with 9mm. It won't bankrupt you to shoot/train with it (that's of key importance)---and of course, it's plenty lethal with modern hollowpoints.

For your price range of under $500.----

Go with a Glock 17 (new or used) or a Sig 226 (probably used at that cost). There is also a good chance that you can find a Beretta "police special" 92F/S or a used 92FS at that cost. Stay away from Rugers or Smith & Wesson automatic pistols.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 3:38am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor
    Stay away from Rugers or Smith & Wesson automatic pistols.
    Can you elaborate why to stay away from Rugers? I've had a Ruger 9mm for about 8 years now and I've never had any trouble with it.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345