230676 Bullies, 3680 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 3:50pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Arts Unlimited - BJJ/MT/JKD/Sub-Wrestle/WC/Kali (*whew*) in Clawson, MI?

One of my friends is thinking about taking classes at this school in Clawson Michigan: Chris Malgeri's Martial Arts Unlimited.

I know, I know. It's close to me so I should go check it out. Yeah yeah. One day. I still have a stupid finger injury. Anyway, some of the stuff looks very legit, but other stuff has been sending up some red flags. First off, here's Malgeri's bio:

Founder and Chief Instructor, Chris began his martial arts training in Tang Soo Do earning his Black Belt Instructors certificate. After receiving his 1st Black Belt in Kenpo Karate, Chris began his training under Sifu David Hatch, his current martial arts mentor.

Currently Chris is a certified instructor under Dan Inosanto (Jun Fan & Filipino Martial Arts), David Hatch (Attributive Martial Arts), Ajarn Chai Sirisute (muay Thai), Combat Submission Wrestling (Erik Paulson), Ricardo de la Riva (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu), Salem Assli (Savate), Francis Fong (Wing Chun) and others.
    That seems like a lot of things to claim to be an instructor in. When I first looked into this I couldn't find him on bjj.org. Then I did, but not under da la Riva, but under de la Riva Goded's student Marcello Chapuis "Monteirao" Monteiro. Similarly, I couldn't find him listed as a student of Inosanto, but instead under David Hatch, who was Inosanto's student. Oh, and notice that Ajarn Chai Sirisute is also an instructor of Hatch on there. And Assli. And Francis Fong. Is this just a case of slight misrepresentation?

Malgeri does not say anywhere that he runs an MMA school, but a number of websites say that he "Accomplished 1st place in a no-holds barred competition." More red flags. Nothing about him on Sherdog, but then a search for his name did pull up a number of MMA fights. Win Loss Win Loss

This just seemed very odd for a school claiming it "is built on a foundation of Integrity, Commitment and Professionalism", and "dedicated to providing the best in practical and effective martial arts rooted deeply within a philosophy of mind, body and spirit unity." I mean, the instructor seems hard-core himself, and I'm not trying to say in any way that he isn't, but I keep looking at the website and going WTF? So anything else you could find/contribute would be greatly appreciated.

Dagon

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All of the people he's certified under are Inasanto Academy family. That means that he could be in their downlines (as he seems to be with Inasanto), a distance learner (which I know that Fong takes), or seminar certified (as all of them tend to circulate through the same network of schools).

It isn't unheard of for people within the family to have legitimately earned instruction certificates under multiple people. Kevin Seaman, Cortland NY, is definitely directly certfied under Inasanto, Arjan Chai, and (I believe) Fong. I believe his work was Fong was as a distance student, traveling to Atlanta for regular classes and testing.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    7/21/2006 7:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Additional research

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=3283

I was able to find him on Sherdog; however, it still doesn't make him look like much better of a fighter. I guess we still have to give him some credit for at least putting up and going in the ring and given MMA an honest chance.

It also does look like he does have a legit Purple Belt (his lineage is actually from Ricardo de la Riva as claimed):

http://bjj.org/a/people/monteiro-mar...monteirao.html

Posted On:
    7/22/2006 3:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****. MAJOR RED FLAG ALERT!!!!

So I'm out getting coffee and start talking to this pretty cool guy I had never met before. Talking about all sorts of stuff: real estate, economy, siblings, jobs, cities around the U.S. Really down to earth guy.

While I'm talking with him "To Shin Do" boy arrives. I try to follow his conversations every so often, and it appears that he's telling these two girls about how he's a ninja and how he works at a sushi restaurant (and wants to be Japanese). Later on he starts showing other people "moves", and is telling friends of mine things like "If you do this, then I can grab your arm and do this move!"

Holy what the ****.

Anyway, one of the girls I train with shows up and shows me the bruises I apparently gave her today, and the guy I had been talking to for over an hour starts asking about martial arts. It turns out he does Muay Thai. I think that this is his school's website. Anyway, totally cool guy and so we start talking about Thailand and Burma and MMA getting the **** beat out of you in class and all sorts of stuff. Sweet.

Enter "To Shin Do" boy. Yeah. FUuUUuUCk. So he tells us things like how "Muay Thai, Wing Chun, Ninjitsu, and Kyokushinkai are the four most applicable martial arts in the world." (I think he only brought up Kyokushinkai because the Muay Thai guy I had been talking to used to do it and we had brought it up). He tells us how he wants to open a sushi bar attached to his dojo. He wants to be a ninja when he grows up and have his own school. The sushi bar will have a Starbucks.

He explains how "To Shin Do" is modernized and applicable ninjitsu and he's been taking it for over 3 years now. I try to head him off at the path and make some statements like, "Any martial art that's teaching you a bunch of moves is bullshit." He goes on to tell us he's fought Vale Tudo. Recently. What?!?!!??@

No, seriously, what the ****? Says he got kicked in the ribs and thought he was going to die but that he fell on the guy and key-locked him ftw. He then brings up BJJ, or maybe I did, or the Muah Thai guy, who the **** knows, but he starts talking about how you can't go to the ground in a real fight because there are cigarrette butts and spit and gross things and glass and rocks, and how in ninjitsu there are no rules so it's more hardcore.

I'm not even making this up. I wish I were.

Then he drops the bomb: "I do brazilian jiu-jitsu."

Me: "Huh?"

"Oh yeah, it's great. I love doing it."

"Um... where at?"

"Oh, this place over on 14 mile. The leader's name is Chriss something."

Me: "Malgeri."

"Uh, yeah. Wow. The guys AMAZING! He can do anything too! He teaches tons of different arts and teaches like, every single class at his school."

Me: "And yet he's only a purple belt." (I'm so glad I just researched all this today. Ninja boy must think I have super-powers.)

"Yeah... ? I don't get how that works, but he also does kali and wing chun, and jeet kune do and tons of Indonesian things and stuff. He can just destroy everybody."

"How long have you been doing BJJ?"

"Like, about a month now."

The Muay Thai guy I had been talking to all night didn't even start mocking the guy. Again, cool guy. When "To Shin Do" boy went inside I told him "That guy annoys the **** out of me. Fucking ninjas." He laughed and kinda just brushed it all off. We talked about Tai Chi.

Anyway, the ninjer comes back out to say goodbye and tells us he's going to start wing chun soon too and try it out. They teach it at the Martial Arts Unlimited place, I thought to myself. "Yeah, Niles invited me out to see his dojo." HA HA HA HA HA.

Niles is one of my kung-fu brothers. **** **** ****. Seriously, **** me right in the ass. Goddamn. Joke is on me, mother fuckers. :cussing:

Dagon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 3:10am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have the option of training at Warrior Way, I would recommend it. A top notch school, with top notch instructors.

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 9:50am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would point out that douchebags douchery tells you a lot about how much of a douchebag he is, but doesn't really tell you anything about the quality of this other guys instruction.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/28/2006 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'd learn from a BJJ purple...I just prefer learning from the blacks and browns I got now :)
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 12:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Clawson MAU is great

I know now dragon that you've been to chris's school, but for you who havent, it is a great school with fun, serious, and knowledgable teacher. He is the lightweight champ for the Michigan FIght League, MMA, and is a insanely wise man. Yet he is real. He conditions and trains as hard as he teaches, and emphasises repetition and determination. I know of at least 8 guys who compete MMA or BJJ out of his school, not including himself. He is a brown belt in BJJ for the record. Yes it does seem as if he holds tons of teaching certificites, but he does. he is a sponge, with tons of different seminars held there, also allowing himself to soak in more info. I think Eric Paulson is teaching a CSW seminar there sept 23-24. good times. I highly recommend all his programs.

Posted On:
    9/04/2007 1:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My review and write-up is here. Please add more about your thoughts and experiences in that article. Basically, it is a good place and Malgeri is incredibly knowledgeable. However, I feel that too much is taught and that leaves a lack of depth in some of the classes. The MMA-type styles seem very good, and more time should be given to them.

:boxing:

The certification thing is initially what weirded me out, but the guy does know his stuff. Malgeri seems like the kinda guy who says "If someone did this, I could do this to him", and then trained for 20 years to make sure it was true.

Dagon

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2007 1:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ+MT Former Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where is this coffee shop you hang out at? Seems like a happening place.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast