Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 7:06pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gzk
    What do you mean by "no direction"?

It's quite possible I'm facing down there. I'm actually wondering, how do you keep your chin tucked in but not face down a little bit?
    He means you're not punching like theres a target in frotn of you. Theyre all willy nilly in terms of the targeting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 8:28pm

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your punches curve too much. A straight punch (jab/cross) should come straight out and in. Hooks should hit with your elbow on a 45 degree angle, in fact it can be less then 45.

Try hitting a bag and see how much more of an impact you can make when your arms aren't as bent. Elbows in will help with good straight punches, as for hooks it took me forever to get. The thing that clicked for me, was turning my fist horizontal, and going in almost straight around the arm/body. Having something to make contact with will help you.

It's good that you keep your arms out, this is a big help when boxing because it gives you some extra reaction time. A lot of people keep their guards too far in, and have no time to react because they have to move too far.

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:40pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffy
    I think this is bad advice.
    The stance you have already does much better at protecting your face and kidneys. If you keep your guard too far in you don't have the reaction time to stop punches before they hit you, you are just absorbing the impact instead of redirecting it. Plus if you have your hands right in front of your face you will end up punching yourself in the face when you get punched.
    Fill in your style field, and we'll talk.

Ever heard of slip, bob, weave, catch, parry?

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 10:44pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heffy
    Hooks should hit with your elbow on a 45 degree angle, in fact it can be less then 45.
    So.......... is your intention when throwing the hook, to punch yourself in the face?

That's the only target you're going to hit if you keep your elbow bent at 45 degrees. Less than 45? God help us.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    So.......... is your intention when throwing the hook, to punch yourself in the face?

That's the only target you're going to hit if you keep your elbow bent at 45 degrees. Less than 45? God help us.
    I think/hope he meant to say 90 degree angle. 45 degrees or less is an elbow strike.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12