Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How is Gnp worked in MMA gyms?

After a freak Combine/Clothing Press accident, just watching people get GnP'd freaks me out. So out of curiosity how do people who compete in MMA train for and to defend against GnP?

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 2:42pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have plain grappling in our gym and later, for those who choose to, strikes while grappling. Granted we aren't trying to kill each other but we do make a fair amount of contact. It's kind of like sparring so to speak. No elbows though. Well when I see a chance for an elbow I'll bump the other guy with my forearm instead of my elbow. Throwing dummies are good for working elbows with power.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    After a freak Combine/Clothing Press accident, just watching people get GnP'd freaks me out. So out of curiosity how do people who compete in MMA train for and to defend against GnP?
    By spending lots of time drilling hand nutrilizations and controls. Lots of working for underhooks and lots of getting punched. Covering and working for recovering guard.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First you ground'em, then you pound'em...POUND'EM!

Seriously though, I don't understand your question? You learn by doing it. It hurts. I don't usually really drop my weight into an elbow to the face in sparring, I'll just get the position I need, then start dropping, but pull the strikes, I know I could've hit'em, they know I could've hit'em, nobody gets cut. For the punching...I just punch people with the level of contact necessary to land the shot. If the person sucks, I can be more controlled, speed isn't a factor, I can just tie them up in knots and hit them at will, so I pull my punches. With better guys, where I need the speed, I hit with more force.

To GnP, I generally maintain my posture in my opponent's guard (my third favourite GnP position), use elbows on the body and hammerfists to the face, short uppercut palms/punches to the jaw or shoulder butts to the face (this depends on the height of the opponent) until I have the opportunity to break away and get the distance to drop an elbow or big punch. This is, of course, assuming I can't pass to half guard (my second favourite position), or move past that into a crucifix (cross body, pinning both arms, ala Hughes/Penn 2, or Hughes/Newton 2) which is by far my favourite GnP position, where, if I can get it, and secure it, I figure it's as good as a locked in triangle or armbar in terms of chance to end the fight.

To defend against GnP, I tie up my opponent's arms and try to hit back while looking to reverse. I especially like to hipscape out to the side while they're in my guard triangle my legs to make it harder for them to regain posture, and use punches and elbows from there. I also like to go for the triangle, and then just pound on my opponent as they try to defend it. I don't need to finish the triangle if I can finish with strikes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 3:18pm

Style: boxing, fjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, I am not part of any mma gym so this post could be full of useless bullshit.
    With that in mind here goes.

The intensity of the strikes when rolling depends on your protection. If you have no gloves just use light slaps and bumps with the forearms. If 4 mma oz gloves throw light to medium contact punches and if you have elbow pads you can throw a little harder elbows. The thicker the gloves the harder you hit basically.

If your partner doesn't feel like getting hit then have him grab some focus mitts and put you in his guard. Most basic boxing combo's can be thrown from here. Obviously they have to be altered but the mitt positions are basically the same. I tend to like Thai pads better for catching elbows but whatever floats your boat.

If you don't have a partner but have a heavy bag then throw it on the ground and get to work. I love using this to work on knee on belly because if the bag is very full it will try to roll a bit when you're on top.

As I said at first, I am not in any kind of mma gym at the moment. The extent of my grappling is two 6 month periods of bjj so take all of this with a huge grain of salt.

Edited for aforementioned useless bullshit.

If anyone notices anything else wrong here please let me know. I suck and am very aware of this so don't be shy. (not that I would expect that from anyone anyway)
    Last edited by Tribalweapon; 8/01/2007 3:07pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 3:53pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've occasionally trained it by gaining mount, whilst the person on the bottom has some pads on. It's ok but the best way is just to roll and throw light strikes.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/31/2007 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Striking every time you roll leads to crappling, because when you can use strikes to aid it all the time, you don't practice some of the things you'll need against a really good grappler. You don't, for example, need to learn how to properly set up an armbar, because the punches do it for you, which is fine until you come up against someone who can defend the punches.

As for "the best way", the best way is to roll and throw moderately hard strikes so that you get used to being hit.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 12:08am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glove up, pad up (elbow pads if you're doing elbows) and roll with strikes. Go between 50 and 75%, depending on how close you are to a fight/competition. Remember to use vaseline on your face beforehand, to reduce the danger of accidental cuts. Even when they're well treated, a cut on your face will always be a little weaker than the surrounding skin and prone to being cut again, so try to minimize risk.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 8:21am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Striking every time you roll leads to crappling, because when you can use strikes to aid it all the time, you don't practice some of the things you'll need against a really good grappler. You don't, for example, need to learn how to properly set up an armbar, because the punches do it for you, which is fine until you come up against someone who can defend the punches.

As for "the best way", the best way is to roll and throw moderately hard strikes so that you get used to being hit.
    I do sepearate BJJ classes for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 8:33am

Style: karate, Ju-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I typically do two things, grapple with strikes while wearing 7 oz gloves, mid to light contact to the head.

The other thing I'll do is where protective head gear with a face cage and have an opponent in my guard, who wears gloves and goes as hard as he can. The head gear reduces peripheral vision and is heavy, but its worth training IMO.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast