Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Please to critique my crappy punching video

I would do more, but my equipment (training and recording) is quite limited. My hooks and weaves don't feel right and I'm not sure I'm getting enough power out of the cross though it seems to knock the pads back hard ;)

Anyway, I know it's a crappy and short vid, but if you see anything, I'd appreciate the advice.

Watch

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 9:13am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    move your back foot more, so that your hips can turn on back side punches.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

:)

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're doing a good job pushing the punches from your nose, and not telegraphing or winding up much...but I'd advise putting your hip into it a little more (you might want to lose the glasses too, mine used to fly off when I'd get into it).

If your legs are a little bent, to isolate the balls of the feet...and you turn a little on the same side foot of your punching hand, for crosses and hooks....there will be more snap in the hip to help fling the arm out with speed...and your body mechanics will allow for more oomph.
    Stay at it, and perhaps more double or triple jabs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 5:09pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More snap on your punches. Good job not winding up.

I'm assuming you're new, but try doing more than one bob at a time; constantly moving your head will ensure you do so in a fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 1:47am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to finish your jab before you throw the right, and keep your elbows in.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 10:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definitely try and work on all those points.

FYI, my striking training is part of my shootfighting training, which I have been training simultaneously with BJJ for the last 7-8 months.

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 8:35am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gzk, your stance looks wierd to me, it's very open and forward facing, and your hands are too high? Or could it be the angle of the camera? I hold my fists on my cheek and my elbows tight against my body when I want to trade punches.

The best you can do is to take a video of you including your feet. The feet holds the secret to good punching.

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 9:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Seidokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your punches have no direction you look like you are facing down and your hands are too close to each other. Your jab was nice but you need 2 go see a well trained practitioner
    to critique you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 12:23pm

Style: Almost Everything.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    gzk, your stance looks wierd to me, it's very open and forward facing, and your hands are too high? Or could it be the angle of the camera? I hold my fists on my cheek and my elbows tight against my body when I want to trade punches.

The best you can do is to take a video of you including your feet. The feet holds the secret to good punching.

I think this is bad advice.
    The stance you have already does much better at protecting your face and kidneys. If you keep your guard too far in you don't have the reaction time to stop punches before they hit you, you are just absorbing the impact instead of redirecting it. Plus if you have your hands right in front of your face you will end up punching yourself in the face when you get punched.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 6:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seidokan
    Your punches have no direction you look like you are facing down and your hands are too close to each other. Your jab was nice but you need 2 go see a well trained practitioner
    to critique you
    What do you mean by "no direction"?

It's quite possible I'm facing down there. I'm actually wondering, how do you keep your chin tucked in but not face down a little bit?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast