Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 2:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MILITARY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    crikie just read this thread ! wow you guys sure got some heat in ya! so where is this Mr oconner now -- and if big statue was himself how could he mail from prison ? surley he would be banged up in some hi security gaff given his high ranking martial arts background?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 2:41am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE TOM
    crikie just read this thread ! wow you guys sure got some heat in ya! so where is this Mr oconner now -- and if big statue was himself how could he mail from prison ? surley he would be banged up in some hi security gaff given his high ranking martial arts background?
    If you had indeed read this thread and perhaps educated yourself to the others on the subject, you'd know that O'Connor has been released from prison.. Please don't post in this thread unless you have something to contribute.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 10:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see how one can rank jump in similar arts unless all the belt requirements are the same. Take for example Parker system Kenpo vs. Tracy system kenpo, sure it's similar but if I was to switch systems, how could I be given a rank without knowing all the differences in techniques and kata? I've switched schools several times because I moved, every time I had to start over as a white belt. This always brought the delema of what to compete as: white belt from new school or black belt under another?

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 11:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I knew someone who claimed to have mutilpe black belts in four differnt sytles on Karate. He was shown to be a fake when a blue belt knocked him the **** out during a bar fight a while back. One of the funniest things I have seen in my life.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 11:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was in Korea, there was a guy who posted an ad offering martial arts lessons. The typed ad said he was an expert in "judo, karate, kung-fu, boxing, grappling, jujuitsu, knife fighting, taekwondo, and aikido". (I'm not making this up.) I should have made a copy of it back then, it would be priceless now.

I told my friend if you ever got in a fight with him, you'd have to jump him before he decided what style he would use to kick your ass.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 7:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, I new a "black belt" who who spoke two different languages...english in street clothes and broken english in his gi. That's even worse than claiming multiple styles.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 5:45am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldslowguy
    Oh yeah, I new a "black belt" who who spoke two different languages...english in street clothes and broken english in his gi. That's even worse than claiming multiple styles.
    I know a couple of people like that. strange because their technical content is quite good but I've often found myself having to hold back from laughing when listening to them speaking in s Japan/Engrish.

I once went up to a guy who was pontificating about training in Japan for several years to a bunch of kyu grades. I said ohayo gozaimasu, hajimemaste sensei ogenkides'ka? watashi no name wa Dave desu, dojocho higashi kaigan aikikai.. I gave a deep bow, when I looked him in the face, he was very embarressed as I waited and waited for him to at least say domo, genki des.. I apologised and said I'm sorry but I thought you spoke Nihongo.
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 8/06/2007 5:48am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 3:38pm

Style: Taijutsu, Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see how one can rank jump in similar arts unless all the belt requirements are the same. Take for example Parker system Kenpo vs. Tracy system kenpo, sure it's similar but if I was to switch systems, how could I be given a rank without knowing all the differences in techniques and kata? I've switched schools several times because I moved, every time I had to start over as a white belt. This always brought the delema of what to compete as: white belt from new school or black belt under another?

Well, this is what I was talking about. And in this case, you're right, you wouldn't know all of the Kata. However, if you were a black belt in one art, you should be skilled at all of the maneuvers that make up the katas. At worst, you may have to learn and demonstrate each kata, but a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick, and the boards still don't hit back.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 7:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That being said, if I get a bachelor's in electrical engineering and then a master's in electrical engineering at a different school...I would only say that I master's in electrical engineering. However, if it were a different field such as business I would mention both educations.

Point is, who care's if you've gone to two different karate schools...mentioning 3 black belts in the same style (different system) is just padding your resume. People outside the profession might be impressed but those knowledgeable of martial arts know it for what it is.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 7:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...but those knowledgeable of martial arts know it for what it is.
    Ego stroking, circle-jerking bullshit.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast