Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 10:20am

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan6
    ...(Also means the gay ass Judo federation wants me around for another decade so i keep paying their shitty fees and insurance)
    Does this mean that you plan to quit when you get your black belt?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 12:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "A black belt is not so significant when it comes to skill level, as you will find much lower ranked Martial Artists easily beat higher ranked Martial Artists in competition.

A black belt signifies that you have a good enough understanding in the art to start teaching it to others. Having multiple black belts doesn't really matter, even if you had every single black belt in every single style on the planet you would still only be able to teach one style at a time".

I thought a black belt denoted time served and skill level? only after 5th dan (the master grades, shihans, red and white belts) are they awarded on knowledge and commitment to the art. Hanshi K O'Connor combined karate kicks, punches and blocks with jujitsu locks, throws, chokes, strangles etc. they worked because he used aikido principals of movement to avoid, get inside, or accept rather than rejecting an attack. it got karate off the linear, straight line basics. that unfortunately, even some high ranking sensei still use today.
    Training in his dojo is seven days per week, but time factors still apply. If you think it a money thing.....he takes no income from his teaching of m/arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 1:01pm

Style: Kenpo,Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man we all have a diff outlook on a BB and what there for. a BB is a leader and it's something to look up 2 and it also shows knowledge. well i am bored of this subject ttyl

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 2:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if your bored, I'll go to a thread where people are interested to learn and understand.
    dan grade standards are crap out there now. because people dont train hard, dont stick with their sensei and dont train and PRACTICE WITH high ranking yudansha. it sets a standard, people you can compare others to. say "Yeh" he's as good as sensei so and so in florida, so he's worth the same 5th dan.......
    A 5th dan judo could'nt walk into a karate, tkd dojo and be graded in that disciplin however. He wont know the kata, the principals of kicking etc
    common sense and standards must prevail.......bored with it? Its the fabric of the yudansha structure. Bored with it, cant be arsed, its to much trouble,its why today 20 somethings are wearing 6th dan.....
    30 years its taken me to study three arts. seven days per week, 4 hours per day......
    com'on be positive about your threads, your forum.
    My first day and I see negativity, a lack of interest..........if we dont work out the answers who will. people in it for money, grade hunters and idle gits opening up clubs injuring people and banging up the insurance premiums.
    Worst of all wasting a students time and leading them into a false state of security?
    is this what the guys on this site want. I dont believe it. get fired up, cut out the bullshido
    Last edited by bigstatue; 7/29/2007 2:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2007 2:26pm

Style: Kenpo,Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstatue
    if your bored, I'll go to a thread where people are interested to learn and understand.
    dan grade standards are crap out there now. because people dont train hard, dont stick with their sensei and dont train and PRACTICE WITH high ranking yudansha. it sets a standard, people you can compare others to. say "Yeh" he's as good as sensei i florida, so hes worth the same 5th dan.......
    a 5th dan judo could'nt walk into a karate, tkd dojo and be graded in that disciplin however. he wont know kata, kicking etc
    common sense and standards must prevail.......bored with it. Its the fabric of the yudansha structure. its why today 20 somethings are wearing 6th dan.....
    30 years its taken to study three arts. seven days per week, 4 hours per day......
    com'on be positive about your threads, your forum. my first day and I see negativity, a lack of interest..........if we dont work out the answers who will. people in it for money, grade hunters and idle gits opening up clubs injuring people and banging up the insurance premiums.
    Worst of all wasting a students time and leading them into a false state of security?
    is this what the guys on this site want. I dont believe it. get fired up to cut out the bullshido

no we are talking being positive ya thats what i am talking about. and my anwser are for anyone who wants to train be an all around fighter. don't be like well i am in this karate and its better than your cause it's not. me myself i love the killing arts and thats what i take i can go to the ground or i can stand up. so someone tell me what BB do they look up to or hope to become.

sorry for my spelling some ppl on here can not look past it so i half to say this before they comment on it

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 1:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not just in karate my friend.
    I love the killing arts too. Especially the sword. Iaido, Iai-jutsu (Only defence here is another sword or a gun). and ground work don't get a look in.
    Our group does, however, invited Ahmed Al houli over from Kuwait every year (senior coach for Barra jujitsu Kuwait), and last week-end we held a seminar on Brasilian jujitsu and had a great time. (I'm very open minded to martial arts), He goes to Brasil 4 times a year. One of the Gracies goes to Kuwait 4 times a year... I really DO do mixed martial arts, but not the sport pretend crap.
    I dont knock other arts I embrace them if they are real. I was brought up In a budo school. Not karate, not judo, not aikido, not kyudo, not kendo But budo. ALL the arts and we/I, even at the age of 14 (36 years ago) was encouraged by my sensei to visit other clubs, understand other styles. learn from jujitsu, kung fu, tae kwon do, savate etc.
    Today I have friends all over the world, America,Paris, Germany, Kuwait, India, Pakistan, Romania. High ranking, long time served, knowledgable and some very dangerous (army- special forces, French anti-terrorist squad). You should look up to people like them, give them some respect and credit for their ability, the risks they take on the behalf of nations. we don't roll around on dojo mats for a couple of hours n go home. we practice for real. no second place, no cups n trophies in our training and combat enviroment. second place is worm feast. Oh! and going to the floor it's NOT an option you should promote, if you can avoid it. its ok in a ring or cage, NO not even there. It still has to many limitations and restrictions and usually a ref and a doctor on the side. Not real life defence for me I'm afraid.
    Last edited by bigstatue; 7/30/2007 1:53am at .

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 5:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Big Statue, how did the seminar with Ahmed go?
    I wasn't able to make it 'cos I was working. I train with Mark Gerrard who is affiliated to your association, in Iaijutsu and Jujitsu, I also teach Judo and train MMA regularly ......... can't agree with you on the "sport crap" comment though, do you roll regularly?
    Anyway I look forward to training with your group some time soon in the future, I'l be at the kata champs in Oct with Mark and beyond basics.

Best wishes

Geoff

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Who?
    To some it just shows the learning process.

My son started TAGB TKD at 6, recieved his obligatory B/B at 9. He is due to test for his 2nd dan now, after 4 years, he doesn't see the point but continues to go once a week for the fun of it.

Just before getting his B/B we, as parents, began to worry that being a B/B might make him a target in high school and decided to step up his training with something a bit more full-on. As there was an ex-world champion in kickboxing on the doorstep we went to see him.
    5 years later he is training Muay Thai 2-3 days a week with several full contact fights under his belt.

Now all the site advocate needing groundwork, so an invite from a local Ju-jitsu club seemed to fit the bill. 2.5 years of complient training later his 2nd B/B (junior) was aquired. After 4 years of training be became bored with the complient training. I looked to Bullshido (& others) and found that another champion taught down the road, this time in Judo. 6 months later he is 5 mon and trains in the adult class.

We have not gone out to collect belts but to give my son a well rounded martial arts education, belts tend to come with the territory.
    Sounds great for your son, what do you train?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 7:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstatue
    Im not just in karate my friend.
    I love the killing arts too. Especially the sword. Iaido, Iai-jutsu (Only defence here is another sword or a gun). and ground work don't get a look in.
    Our group does, however, invited Ahmed Al houli over from Kuwait every year (senior coach for Barra jujitsu Kuwait), and last week-end we held a seminar on Brasilian jujitsu and had a great time. (I'm very open minded to martial arts), He goes to Brasil 4 times a year. One of the Gracies goes to Kuwait 4 times a year... I really DO do mixed martial arts, but not the sport pretend crap.
    I dont knock other arts I embrace them if they are real. I was brought up In a budo school. Not karate, not judo, not aikido, not kyudo, not kendo But budo. ALL the arts and we/I, even at the age of 14 (36 years ago) was encouraged by my sensei to visit other clubs, understand other styles. learn from jujitsu, kung fu, tae kwon do, savate etc.
    Today I have friends all over the world, America,Paris, Germany, Kuwait, India, Pakistan, Romania. High ranking, long time served, knowledgable and some very dangerous (army- special forces, French anti-terrorist squad). You should look up to people like them, give them some respect and credit for their ability, the risks they take on the behalf of nations. we don't roll around on dojo mats for a couple of hours n go home. we practice for real. no second place, no cups n trophies in our training and combat enviroment. second place is worm feast. Oh! and going to the floor it's NOT an option you should promote, if you can avoid it. its ok in a ring or cage, NO not even there. It still has to many limitations and restrictions and usually a ref and a doctor on the side. Not real life defence for me I'm afraid.
    Sounds really deadly. So where do you train? Like I train in the Logan Utah Rec Center in Chiroku Karate under the short but very powerful Pat Smith (master of the spinning hook kick, and master of the painful ground game, and did choke out a cop recently - to KO when said cop person was going to go for a gun in the wrong time and place), and with Shihan Perales in Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo and when I'm in Hawaii etc etc....
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 7/30/2007 7:46pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2007 7:49pm

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    Sounds great for your son, what do you train?
    I used to do judo when I was younger, muay thai more recently. Nothing for the past couple of years due to an undiagnosed neurological condition affecting my legs - 3 years now. The wife has trained muay thai for about 5 years, keeping the faith until I'm better/dead
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast