Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 9:16pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone want to fess up to doing Choi Kwang Do?

With a recent tirade I launched against CKD, I was wondering if there were any openly practicing CKD'ers willing to engage in debate about the merits (or in my view otherwise) of the style.

Essentially I can see no redeeming features in it beyond the usual "fun, fitness, fluffiness" that always gets rolled out. If I am wrong, try and change my mind!

The gauntlet is down......

(original thread is here http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57810)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 8:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CKD, BJJ White

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep i do

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 8:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm probably not the person to speak to though because:

1. I don't really give a rats arse if you think it's useful or not
    2. I'm not an instructor

I would say though that there are a number of embarrassing individuals within the organisation but i think that is true in all organizations.

In the UK i would speak to someone like Nigel Brophy. http://www.surreyckd.co.uk/ if you want an informed discussion. If you're in the States and anywhere near Atlanta why not visit the HQ and see Choi himself?

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 10:17am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roscopeeco
    you're in the States and anywhere near Atlanta why not visit the HQ and see Choi himself?
    wait, what? ... they're headquartered in ATL? Oh I'm definitely stopping by for a preview class so I can put a review up here. I can't wait to consider my injuries...

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    8/01/2007 5:03pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great, two people with balls!

I accept that my opinion will not change yours - at least initially - but I a intrigued by teh whole "ultimate self-defence" crap that keeps getting rolled out all the time.

CKD on the whole (in fact I know of no exceptions at the minute) advocates no contact training. How can this even vaguely transfer to combat effectiveness? It flies in the face of every single scientific study and principle conducted into conditioned training and responses.

How have you two found the translation between the art and the reality?

I see you both list alternate styles - how is the cross training viewed?

How do your CKD skills translate into these other arenas?

Any battle stories to share?

Why is it every time I see this "revolutionary" art it looks like poor kickboxing? I have been following CKD since it's initial launch on the mainstream and there is nothing I have seen to dispel this impression

Look forward to your responses!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 7:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll answers your questions but you really want to speak to someone higher up if you are really interested in finding out about it.

I am not 100% happy about everything in Choi Kwang Do and see it's limitations (as do most people that i know that practise the art) but in general i am more than happy with what it has given me.

It may look like poor kickboxing to you but we are taught to relax the body when performing techniques to actually increase the power of the kick or punch. I know that in the UK there are many instructors that have come from other arts and wouldn't be teaching Choi Kwang Do if they thought it wasn't an improvement or offered something different from their previous art.

I have only taken Choi as my stand-up art so i don't think i am qualified to compare it with other arts but i would say that from i think it is a lot more fluid than kickboxing as it relies on sequential body movement.

There is contact training in Choi. The defence drills are all about contact training it's just that there are different levels of defence drill. The defence drill though is primarily about increasing the defensive skills of the person being attacked so there is no point in setting about a white belt with a flurry of punches. What would that achieve? Make you think you're the mutts nuts? Probably make them think you are a complete cock.

I haven't been in a street fight since starting Choi so i cannot comment on art/reality translation but i have it clear in my mind that i would only use certain techniques if it was ever to happen. A lot of Choi is about awareness, avoidance and the appearance of confidence which does not go down well here as the response to this seems to be 'but that's not real fighting'. If i'm in a pub and there are idiots around i move so that i can am not next to the idiots and therefore cannot get sucker punched.

My instructor has no problem with me cross training but i think it is not allowed if you are an instructor. I think this is a contentious point within the organisation as instructors have left because of this.

When i started BJJ it was hard but grappling IS hard. I have found already that the the emphasis on body relaxation taught in Choi is EXACTLY what is needed in BJJ. The first few classes I was tensed up trying to muscle it but when someone told me to try to relax i was able to. Also i find the concept of body mechanics in Choi has translated well into BJJ.

So all in all i am very happy with the combination of arts that i am training in.

As for battle stories...they all happened before i started martial arts training

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 9:07am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow! I wonder what ckd school you're training at! Contact - at least as defense drills are taught in Atlanta, is NOT condoned - unless it's against a shield! (Pussies!!!)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 9:13am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yes, Partyboy - the Dom and his Hitmen are in Atlanta. You SHOULD go by. It will enlighten you on how ckd can do everything from defend you from bullets to cure cancer, help you understand why you are such a dumbass that you do kung fu, how all the other poor dumbasses in the world practice tkd, karate etc. You, too, can discover how to punch and kick and block while leaving your core so open that any tkd blue belt could rupture your spleen.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 10:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Saman
    Surely you do contact blocking? Everywhere in the UK does that as far as I know.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 10:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Saman
    All the instructors I have ever worked a defence drill under have stated that there is no way that you are going to block everything. Do you not use bobs, weaves and angling off in your defence drills? If you go into a fight thinking that you can just punch and kick away and block everything then you didn't think through what the defence drills were really about.

Maybe the UK instructors have a more realistic philosophy than the states.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast