Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Amphetamines

Alrighty, since I'm still nooby around here, and I'm not sure where this would particularly go normally (perhaps the workout/nutrition forum?) I'll just post it here for now. If a mod would like to move this out of noobieville, that'd be great, but if not, whatever.

I wanted to know if anybody other than myself has attempted to workout/train/whatever while on amphetamines. I take a controlled amount (ie not happy-funtime druggie style) of amphetamines, and have found that depending on what portion of the 'high' I'm in greatly affects my training. ex. If I take a dose, wait 15-30 minutes and try training, I tend to overdo it as I cannot focus on anything other than whatever simple activity I'm doing at that moment (like punching a heavy bag for example)...this is all fine and good, but it takes me a few days before I can train again after I do this. If I try training towards then end of the dose, I lose interest in technique and basically become extremely aggressive, but also distant to the point of not wanting to train, therefor training is of little productivity at these times. The middle of the dose I'm usually far too disconnect in thought to focus for more than a couple minutes on any given training excersize, and as such rarely can get more than 5 to 10 minutes of working out done at one time. Suggestions?

The second thing I wanted to ask was in regards to MA competitions. They have a local, state-wide "Summer Games" competition where I live, which includes any number of activities/sports...and I was gearing up to compete in a couple of their martial arts tournaments (TKD point sparring tourny, and a Kempo full contact tourny), and it didn't occur to me until just now, that they perhaps would disqualify me for the amphetamines. Now, I will go look up the rules regarding this particular tournament, but I was wondering how often the case would be that I would be unable to compete due to the presciption drugs that I am on. Are amphetamines, even if I have a prescription, enough to get me barred from entering most MA tournaments or no? Just curious mostly.
  2. KungFuBot

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We knew you could do it! Werburn posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 10:18pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Speaking from my experience with a similar situation...

As for training, I'd recommend trying to train either before you take your first daily dose or well after it wears off. As you noted, it's very easy to over train while on a drug like that.

If that's not an option, experiment with the amount of training time with a given activity until you find a length of time that won't cause so much stress on your body that you take more than a day or so to recover, then set a timer. Once the timer goes off, you're done with that exercise or bag workout or whatever, period. If you're doing weight training, go by the numbers. Don't try to go until failure because while on a stimulant like that you will continue to work past what would normally be considered the point of failure.

Also, try switching to a sustained release version of whatever med you're on. If it's for ADD/ADHD most of the commonly used meds are available in a sustained release form. You'll have less variance between emotional states at different times. However, you will still be a dick during the time the drug is leaving your system.

With the tournaments, contact the organizing body and ask them directly. It's the only way to be sure.
    Last edited by wetware; 7/25/2007 10:21pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 10:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take amphetamines for narcolepsy, not ADD/ADHD. As such, I can't really do much of anything before my first daily dose (I never even remember taking it, I'm always too asleep...I wake up 15-30 mins later when it kicks in). The timed release version does horrible things to me, as every time I am 'coming down' after the aggressiveness fades, I essentially pass out. With the normal ones, thats once a day; with the timed-release ones thats about 10 times a day (2 pills, 5 mini-releases each pill)...might as well not even be taking the stuff and let myself sleep most the day as normal if thats the case.

I will, however, try to take your advice on using a timer (I don't weight train currently...the closest to weight training I do is plyometrics and the like). The problem that occurs is I get so focused and intent on doing whatever it is I'm doing, I stop feeling how tired I am, how hard I'm breathing, etc. so I'm not sure how much the timer will help on the intensity. Overall, however, it will at least ensure I don't lose track of time.

Thanks for the input...

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Physical Training, Diet, and Health Forum might be the best place for this thread. Macho may have the autoridad to move it for you.

What are you taking for narco? Timed-release suggests to me that you might still be on Ritalin. Have you tried Provigil? If not, it would be worthwhile to ask your physician about it. If he balks, I would definitely seek a 2nd opinion. In my experience modafinil is in most ways superior to methylphenidate, though it is probably still more expensive.

Also, albuterol tablets, often prescribed to prevent "exercise induced bronchospasm" appear to exhibit an ergogenic effect. The studies I recall showed that peak output occured earlier and was increased overall after intake.
    Last edited by sdave; 7/26/2007 11:27am at .
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 3:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much thanks for the input sdave. I am not on time released pills, as I indicated earlier. Also, it is not ritalin, I take Dextroamphetamine generic tablets (I believe the name is Dextrostat).

I was on Provigil for some time, and I agree, it is better overall due to the nonstimulant nature of it, unfortunately, my healthcare won't pay for the pills as they seem to believe I haven't properly proved that I indeed have narcolepsy. Mind you, it would likely take years and years before they admit I've had enough tests done to prove I definitely have narcolepsy - I've even switched healthcare companies twice trying to find one that will simply cover my Provigil. Unfortunately, I can't afford spending $230 a month on the Provigil, so I had to switch back to the amphetamines, since even though the healthcare company wont pay for them, they only cost me $12, which is affordable.

And I remember I used to be on those albuterol tablets. Currently I have an Albuterol inhaler (I do have asthma as well). The tablets make my heart rate go up too high, according to my doctor.

To give you a bit of history on myself, I have asthma and numerous allergies, and was diagnosed with narcolepsy shortly over 3 years ago. I've been on just about every kind of bronchodilater, and also several different daily steroids to help control the asthma. I also have gone through 3 different medications to stimulate growth, including artificial growth hormone; I do not take any of these currently (5'6" is enough). When I was first diagnosed with narcolepsy, I was placed on the amphetamines until I learned about Provigil. I switched to Modafinil for awhile until it became clear I wasn't going to be able to afford it, and then switched back to the amphetamines. My current medications include the albuterol inhaler, singulair, allegra, and dextroamphetamine.

Dunno if any of that helps the conversation at all, but there it is. Also, I have done alot of research into the specific chemical pathway of both Modafinil (for what little they know about it) and dextroamphetamine; I'm also a pre-med student - so I'd like to pretend I know something as to the specific effects of these drugs on my body. But as they say, learned knowledge is as nothing compared to known wisdom; hence why I asked if anyone else had experience in this matter.

Thanks again for the reply.

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 12:38am

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that could be embarassing if you had a drop attack from the emotion of winning a match. But you could always blame it if you get KO'd.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 9:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As opposed to the majority of people with narcolepsy, I do not have cataplexy - although I have fallen over a few times, I normally have time to sit or lie down quickly before falling asleep.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish this thread were in the Physical Training forum so I could tell you how deeply hilarious I find narcolepsy. But it's not, so I can't.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/27/2007 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    I wish this thread were in the Physical Training forum so I could tell you how deeply hilarious I find narcolepsy. But it's not, so I can't.
    And if it were, your post wouldn't last there for long.

sdave, I just reported the thread to be moved to the PT/Health forums. Me no have magic powahs :tongue6:
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/27/2007 11:58am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast