Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/02/2007 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both of my ISSA certifications were independent study. They were no joke though. The CFT work consisted of a good 3-4 hrs of written work a day for 2 months including case studies, exercise plans for specific persons, exercise theory essays, physiology descriptions, etc. The SPN (Nutritionist's license) I just finished was more work than the CFT. 8 essays, a 2500 word research paper using medical journals, 156 question work book (essay based also) plus a written exam. ISSA certs are a lot of work, but you will learn from them, and if not, you won't pass.

I'll have to scan my score letter for the SPN stating that I passed so I can receive a tag for it assuming it is the will of the Bullshido hierarchy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 2:52am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may have to look into their SPN and SSC courses. I've got a feeling that they hold no weight in the UK though and are not recognised by our governing body as Continuous Professional Development. A friend of a friend completed one of the big US certifications but could not gain access to REPs with it. This isn't a problem now but in a few years he won't legally be able to work as a PT.

I don't know if you have that in the US but we are required to earn 24 learning (CPD) points per year to stay with the governing body, REPs.

Do you subscribe to PT on the net? I know a lot of it is out there already but it's nice to have it all in one place.
    Last edited by spirez; 8/03/2007 2:54am at .

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    8/03/2007 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ISSA- INTERNATIONAL Sports Science Association.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2007 10:02am

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    I've always learned to wait 1-2 hours before stretching properly post, but should still dynamically stretch before a workout.

Jab, the problem with distance learning is that you don't get chance to question the stuff that's in the syllabus. But i can understand you don't have much choice with the rest of your workload. We were also given a table of the training variables eg strength 1-5 reps, 3-5 mins rest etc etc but were told that it;s only a rough guideline and shouldn't be taken as anything else. That's the problem with not having a lecturer i find, a lot of the material can be down to how someone may interpret it.

Sucks about the machines. We weren't allowed to use any in our programmes, apart from cables and lat pulldown but they're not fixed path machines anyway. I've been watching a few clips of UFC fighters going through their conditioning routines and it shocks me how many of them are told to use a lot of machines by supposedly top conditioning coaches.

The stretching thing sounds strange. Do you have to do all of that before the main session?

For the exam we were required to do a 3-5 min warmup, 3 dynamic stretches, around 10 reps for each and then onto the main session.
    Not been around here for a while since I've been in France. Yeah had no real option. I've done SportsCoachUK courses under direct tuition and it was far easier. Now all the A-levels etc are done I'm concentrating on my own training and, more specifically, fighting. I've tried many different resistance training methods of my own (splits, full body, high rep, low rep etc) and I'm gonna have a good play around with functional stuff (sandbags being a high priority). I could cope if they highlighted the fact that figures on their charts/tables etc were guidelines but they are presented as fact.

Machines have their place but are, for the most part, crap. If you want me to send you the guidelines for assessment then pop me a PM and I'll be more than happy to send them along. The level 2 instructor course hardly touches on dynamic stretching other than a brief definition and we aren't required to demonstrate such things for asessment.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123