Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 3:25pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Personal experience with TKD

So after having left college, and my Enshin Karate dojo, i was out to find a new art. The only thing around were thousands and thousands of Taekwondo schools. Each having those kiddy pictures in the windows and 5 year olds running around with blackbelts. I went to ATA, WTF, ITF, WTA schools.... they were all the same. Then I found the school that until yesterday, was training at.

This school was different than the others I attended. It was larger, seemed clean, and had a different feel to it. Did I finally find a home for TKD? I started off with 3 of my other friends in a trial lesson. We worked on form, light sparring, and technique of certain kicks. He was very strict, and very Korean. Something that I see as eccential to any Korean Martial art. The master held a 5th degree status in TKD as well as a 4th degree in JJK Hapkido. He studdied at the Kukikkwan in South Korea and majored in martial arts before coming to america. He said everything I wanted to hear. That we would learn TKD.... not fictional TKD. Sure it was WTF, but it had the feeling of real application. We went in a back room, signed a contract (we'll come back to this) and started training.

Everything was good for about a year. I was progressing and seeing as I came in as a green belt, I was now well on my way to black. We had the belt testing fee's of about $50 each three months... and got to know the kids and parents really well. It was a family! We helped promote the school for free, and offered our time and expertise outside of the school as help. Then it started to change... He started to offer escrima, but not as you would think it to be tought.... as almost coriagraphed dance movements. He started to add things like "black belt club" where you would pay an extra 10$ a month and get a nice dobak and unlimited class time... as well as saturdays. As time went by the belt testing fee's went up, and up. At tournaments I would notice all the masters would have nice suits on, not gi's.

It was starting to look a lot like a cooperation or karate kid farming organization. Enough to help me realize it wasn't for me anymore. People were promoted who didn't deserve it, the skill wasn't there but as long as they paid... the belts kept coming. I tried to quit last night only to find out that my contract won't allow it... and that I will owe the remaining 2,000 on it if I quit. I went to the company the contract is through and they said the same. I made a huge mistake...... I let my love for martial arts clould my ability to smell bullshit. I trusted them as masters of an art to uphold what I saw as principles.... Not the case... I spoke with 15 other TKD schools around the area for help, and they all said the same thing. Because of this stain, it has stained my opinion of TKD forever. Im sure some of you have places with no contracts, and are happy.... but this is the bulk of crap kwon do. A money hungry organization that is out for just that.... your money. None of them care if you carry their name with skill, as long as you carry it to someone elses pocket book....

So here I sit, hating the martial art I am in, yet not being able to leave. I was told NOT to talk with the students, I'm sure for fear I would tell them what is going on. I'm sure no one reads through the contract of death with this company and many like them. For god sakes guys... Learn from my stupidity, read through it all. In my opinion, if an art isn't giving you what you wanted out of it, you should be free to leave at any time. All this did was make me spite the dojang, and the master, and the art. All the things they chose to do instead of handeling it like an adult and with compassion, is whats wrong with McDojangs today. If you are a part of one, I would seriously urge you not to rope anyone else into it, without first explaining that money comes first, skill comes second.

I'm one belt away from Black.... and I could care less at this point if I get it... thats how much I want out.

:angry2:
    Last edited by Chizilds; 7/25/2007 3:29pm at .

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 4:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Major suckage, I really appreciate you sharing.

All should read this great article on Martial Arts Contracts
    http://www.bullshido.com/articles/ad...contracts.html
    and Finding a Good Martial Arts School
    http://www.bullshido.com/articles/fi...-school-5.html

both on Bullshido.com
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 6:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea I guess... the best lessons learned are the ones we learn the hard way.... I just got back from a lawyer to see if there was anything I could do. Looks like I eat it!

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 7:31pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is the dojang located near a gi joes by chance?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, but that place is just as bad. This is in Willsonville

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking gresham.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 9:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why does your style say "BJJ" if you have been doing McDojo TKD until yesterday?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 9:32pm

Style: Taekwondo/Jujistu/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aaaaggh! These kind of stories break my heart and make me ashamed of my art!

You should be a total; dick in class tot he instructor and everything and maybe he will hate you and kick you out of the school so you can get out of the contract or something.

You should ask the teacher to teach you effective self defense and squeez every bit of teaching out of him you can. Even if hes a dick you can still train on your own outside from what you learn and become the best TKD fighter you can be with it.

How many more years are you stuck in this place? Spar really hard and be really serious and dont be afraid to stand up for the truth.

Posted On:
    7/25/2007 11:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Why does your style say "BJJ" if you have been doing McDojo TKD until yesterday?
    Good question! waiting to hear the answer.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 7:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WTF Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    yea I guess... the best lessons learned are the ones we learn the hard way.... I just got back from a lawyer to see if there was anything I could do. Looks like I eat it!
    I'm in the same boat man.....i was at a mcdojang for about 6 months before i realized it and when i read the fine print....i either needed to move 30 miles away or have a doctors note saying that i had an injury and could not perform anymore....

i even tried making up a story that i moved....but they wanted to see proof....so i'm eating $75/month right now:angry2: ....it's sucks....but at least i'm not doing that crap anymore....
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast